• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
Are the lads by the train (football special) Chelsea supporters? Vaguely remember a caption for it?

Sorry Bunty, I'd seen this pic before but don't know anything about it unfortunately...

Alex Roest

Reaction score
tumblr_lcts45D9JE1qzimkuo1_500.jpg

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
tumblr_legpybOpW01qdu8tuo1_500.jpg
Eccles being arrested I think...

Danny Artkin[ Eccles] He was the leader of the young Chelsea Shed Boys, and Battersea Mob. Think he got Nicked at Coventry Away 69/70. My mate Gerry H also got Nicked for wreaking the City centre, If i remember 136 Skinheads got nicked that day.. Gerry H who was one of the leaders got £170 fine. a record for that time, even the newspapers said it was harsh, a couple of months later Gerry got nicked again and got 3 months DC, So the fine was quashed. Just to add note the way Danny has his Harrington Bloused around the waist, Thats how we use to wear them.

bunty

Reaction score
Has this one been posted before BTW?
tumblr_lbdoz4bfXg1qcabiso1_500.jpg

The lad at the front has a patch on the right breast of his Levis jacket - is it a Levis patch or a Lambretta sew on one? Only that was a revival thing? So could be late 70's ? BTW Yes that's Danny Eccles getting nicked, seen that great clip of him walking through the crowd looking around and not watching the game at all. Beat me to it Roy!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alex, Albion, great stuff...

One point for us to remember is that we are going to have to comply with copyright laws in respect of every photo we use for the book. We're going to have to credit the photographer and/or the copyright holder, and we're going to have to get permission. That might mean paying a fee, but we'll see.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Just to add note the way Danny has his Harrington Bloused around the waist, Thats how we use to wear them.

As I recall they used to ride up round our waists anyway, particularly if you tended to stick your hands in the pockets of your Levis.

Looking at that pic of Eccles, Roy, do you remember being at a match and singing:

Who's the b*stard in the big black hat? Copper! Copper!
Who's the b*stard in the big black hat? Copper is his name!
Copper is his name, Copper is his name!
Who's the b*stard in the big black hat? Copper is his name!

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
The lad at the front has a patch on the right breast of his Levis jacket - is it a Levis patch or a Lambretta sew on one? Only that was a revival thing? So could be late 70's ?

For some reason I thought it may have been from the early '70's but could very well be wrong...

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I thought it may have been from the early '70's but could very well be wrong...

Could it be an old Wrangler patch, not off jeans but off some other garment? I can't remember them in amber-on-black, but that's not to say they didn't exist.

Alex, there's something about this picture that suggests to me that it isn't from any 'revival' period. These look like 'ordinary' kids, they're not regimented in style, if you see what I mean.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Alex, there's something about this picture that suggests to me that it isn't from any 'revival' period. These look like 'ordinary' kids, they're not regimented in style, if you see what I mean.

Yeah, good comment M-o-M. That's more or less the impression I got anyway but it's up to you guys to decide on stuff like that. I remain just a humble (and foreign) observer
smile.gif

Alex Roest

Reaction score
When we're talking football I was wondering about the following: I think it's generally accepted that skinheads started in the East End whereas the North Bank Arsenal was apparently the first skinhead 'end' that was being established a such. Comments?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When we're talking football I was wondering about the following: I think it's generally accepted that skinheads started in the East End...

A bit of a sweeping statement, but go on.

whereas the North Bank Arsenal was apparently the first skinhead 'end' that was being established a such. Comments?

There were always 'ends' from way before skinhead, and not just in London. Liverpool had 'The Kop' and 'The Annie Road End', Blackpool had 'Spion Kop' - those are names that go all the way back to the Boer War - Man U had 'The Stretford End', and so on.

Not having any fixed football affiliation while I was in London I went to just about every stadium except Brentford. There were 'ends' while skinhead was developing.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
A bit of a sweeping statement, but go on.

There were always 'ends' from way before skinhead, and not just in London. Liverpool had 'The Kop' and 'The Annie Road End', Blackpool had 'Spion Kop' - those are names that go all the way back to the Boer War - Man U had 'The Stretford End', and so on.

Not having any fixed football affiliation while I was in London I went to just about every stadium except Brentford. There were 'ends' while skinhead was developing.

Bit of a sweeping statement to get the ball rolling. Again, good comments and perhaps some more 'facts' are being disproved like that...

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 16-Ton
What sort of cotton is the first shirt? Is it a ready made one?

I suppose it's a poplin fabric. The shirt really is quite humble being a Ben Sherman. The colours really bring it to life. It does have some nice touches like a three button collar and red cotton for the buttons. The sleeves thankfully don't have the little v cut out. Do BS still do that?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's lazy me to ask this (on the other hand I'm still ploughing through page after page of this thread for material) but does anyone have any idea in what magazine the photos below were first published?

skincouples2.jpg

skincouples1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads