• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thinkderm, whats with the sudden Vass cordovan binge? I have seen 3 pairs pop up over the last week. Were these all recent acquisitions?

Green Lantern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
Most of the chickens I've seen have been barefoot.

Yeah, this is why their feet are bare:

http://www.exoticleather.biz/chicken_leather.htm

When we think of leather goods, chances are we don't think CHICKEN. Well, all that looks set to change. As improbable as chicken leather sounds it's as thick as emu leather and can be used to make a range of items from souvenirs to shoes.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
I don't like it nor does any shoemaker I have met.

Why don't you like it? Which specific shoemakers don't like it either?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
Why don't you like it? Which specific shoemakers don't like it either?

it is generally an English thing, most dont like it, and hate using it!

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
it is generally an English thing, most dont like it, and hate using it!

Are you saying that English people don't like shell or that they do like shell? Because other than the US, England seems to be produce the most shell shoes. Where I really haven't seen much shell at all is Italy, I'm guessing they really don't like it.

I can definitely understand people not enjoying making shoes out of it, though. With how rigid and thick it feels, it's gotta be a lot more difficult to work than calfskin.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Are you saying that English people don't like shell or that they do like shell? Because other than the US, England seems to be produce the most shell shoes. Where I really haven't seen much shell at all is Italy, I'm guessing they really don't like it.

I can definitely understand people not enjoying making shoes out of it, though. With how rigid and thick it feels, it's gotta be a lot more difficult to work than calfskin.

I may be wrong but I think David was talking about chicken leg leather.

I haven't seen chicken leg shoes, but I have seen ostrich leg. It's very handsome - unlike the rest of the ostrich, the pattern on the leg appears similar to 'gator. The shoes I'm thinking of were stitched-apron oxfords with book-matched ostrich-leg vamps. They were quite attractive.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
I may be wrong but I think David was talking about chicken leg leather. I haven't seen chicken leg shoes, but I have seen ostrich leg. It's very handsome - unlike the rest of the ostrich, the pattern on the leg appears similar to 'gator. The shoes I'm thinking of were stitched-apron oxfords with book-matched ostrich-leg vamps. They were quite attractive.
I have a pair of ostrich leg shoes that I bought about 10 years ago, they are almost exactly as you describe except that they are derbies instead of oxfords.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Vass "Burlington" in saddle shell U last.

R0012523.jpg

R0012524.jpg

R0012522.jpg

R0012521.jpg

My favourite shell and maybe the only reason I would buy any.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

yes as a generalization the English dont like shell and most of the maker i know personally hate using it to make shoes, most will make for export but but demestically most prefer calf.

not so much the thinkness which makes it hard to work with, there is not a lot of give with it i find and it does not have a memory like calf does so it does not hold it shape as well - also it is prone for splitting during making

try and get EG to make a dover in shell
devil.gif

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
yes as a generalization the English dont like shell and most of the maker i know personally hate using it to make shoes, most will make for export but but demestically most prefer calf. not so much the thinkness which makes it hard to work with, there is not a lot of give with it i find and it does not have a memory like calf does so it does not hold it shape as well - also it is prone for splitting during making try and get EG to make a dover in shell
devil.gif

I've read that EG doesn't do any hand-sewns or boots in shell, so your comment makes sense to me. However, I did see an absolutely beautiful pair of Sandringhams in dark cognac shell on the Leather Soul website.
pcs1.jpg
pcs2.jpg
pcs3.jpg

Unregistered

Reaction score
A little chunky for me, but damn those uppers are nice...

The Vass on the other hand.......
worship.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've read that EG doesn't do any hand-sewns or boots in shell, so your comment makes sense to me. However, I did see an absolutely beautiful pair of Sandringhams in dark cognac shell on the Leather Soul website.

pcs1.jpg

pcs2.jpg

pcs3.jpg

yes these are nice! - shell need broging for me as it glows and does not shine

Originally Posted by Unregistered
A little chunky for me, but damn those uppers are nice...

The Vass on the other hand.......
worship.gif

clunky is fine and it has its place - just imagine them with heavy cotton pants or jeans, knocks a long wing for 6 IMO

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unregistered
A little chunky for me, but damn those uppers are nice... The Vass on the other hand.......
worship.gif

they look sleek when placed alongside the Darlton

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
they look sleek when placed alongside the Darlton

+1

They look like sleeker Darltons, and I'm a Darlton fan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics