• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so I am looking at a lot of the buckle back distressed jeans on EBay, many are medium to light weight denim. if I was going to try buying some, what would be a good rule of thumb on sizing? One size down on the waist? (these are all washed and distressed)

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
OK, so I am looking at a lot of the buckle back distressed jeans on EBay, many are medium to light weight denim. if I was going to try buying some, what would be a good rule of thumb on sizing? One size down on the waist? (these are all washed and distressed)
most of these jeans will measure about an inch larger than the tagged size. My ideal waist size is 17.5 so Ill try to find a pair in 34. You would need to size down atleast one size depending on your ideal fit

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
most of these jeans will measure about an inch larger than the tagged size. My ideal waist size is 17.5 so Ill try to find a pair in 34. You would need to size down atleast one size depending on your ideal fit
Right, but do I need to size down at all from my actual waist and the pants actual size and not their tag size? For example, if my actual size is a 34.5 do I buy an actual waist size of 34.5 or 33.5? (I'm not talking about tag size)

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Right, but do I need to size down at all from my actual waist and the pants actual size and not their tag size? For example, if my actual size is a 34.5 do I buy an actual waist size of 34.5 or 33.5? (I'm not talking about tag size)

33.5. you can expect atleast one half inch to an inch of stretch

BeltSegue

Reaction score
^ In my experience they probably won't stretch too much, so it's safe to go with the measured size as your actual, which is probably different than the tagged.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeltSegue
^ In my experience they probably won't stretch too much, so it's safe to go with the measured size as your actual, which is probably different than the tagged.

i like to show off teh ass. psguy, it sounds like you are a tagged 34

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hope this helps.... my true size is 32 here are straight legs (rinse) tagged 30x32. cold washed once.
IMG_2004.jpg
slim boots tagged 32x34 and hemmed. picked them up for 60 bucks at outlet. the wash isn't too bad IRL. i had to enhance the pic a bit to show the lower leg. this size is by far the most comfortable.
IMG_2082.jpg
these are the low straights i had. rinse, tagged 30x32. i sized them so i could barely button them up and, while i got them on, the thigh never stretched out enough so i'm gonna try a 31 if i can find it or maybe even a 32....
IMG_1419.jpg
i'm battling between going up a size in the low straights or getting a pair of raw slim boots. the washed ones will come in handy for keeping a clean pair around for going out, but i need some beaters. also, the stretch factor has a lot to do with how you wear them. i'm sure that someone who skates or BMXs or whatever may get more stretch out of them. i basically just walk around and moderate bike rides so i think going closer to TTS would work out better. EDIT: and here are 31x32 low straights fresh from the shop with a little shadow enhancement to compensate for dark pics. i'm happy as hell with them and the amount of difference between 30 and 31 is a lot more than i'd anticipated. waist is 16.5ish and thigh is 12
IMG_2084.jpg
IMG_2085.jpg

Nizza

Reaction score
Hey, did you guys know whether is there any different between RRL jeans with dark leather patch and the light brown suede leather patch? just curious.....
thx

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I always assumed that all RRL patches were suede, but then I recently saw a smooth leather patch on a pair on ebay - slim fits, the ones with no pocket embroidery and just a small cursive 'RL' stitched into the top of one back pocket. So maybe slims are the exception that don't have the suede patch.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have white slims with a suede patch. it may just depend on the wash.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
hope this helps....
Thanks for the fit picture, is it just me or the boot leg looks pretty "straight" to me This is my rinse low straight tag 28x30 after long wearing (by my standard, i.e. every weekend plus the 10 days while I was on a trip where I walked 12 hours everyday)
IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1089.jpg
Edit: I mean tagged 28x30 not 30x30, sold the 30x30 one already...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by narcissism
difference between low straights and slim fit?

I never wore a slim fit in my right size, but base on the ones I tried (which was a bit too big on the waist for me), the biggest difference is i
1. slim fit hug the butts a lot more
2. slim fit is a lot tighter around the legs, at least brand new, it took me like 3 minutes in the changing room to get that thing off...

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
Thanks for the fit picture, is it just me or the boot leg looks pretty "straight" to me

This is my rinse low straight tag 30x30 after long wearing (by my standard, i.e. every weekend plus the 10 days while I was on a trip where I walked 12 hours everyday)

Yea the slim bootcut is pretty straight. I measured mine (32x32) and the knee measures 8" and the leg opening 8.25". It's a very slight boot cut.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timbaland
Yea the slim bootcut is pretty straight. I measured mine (32x32) and the knee measures 8" and the leg opening 8.25". It's a very slight boot cut.

hum, sounds tempting, might actually buy one to try
biggrin.gif

By the way off topic, why do some people here refer RRL jeans as having th 3 button version. Is that the number of button just on the fly (so excluding the one on the waist) or it's all of them? Also what's the significance? Do they fit differently, or just shrink/stretch differently?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads