• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dodo
The whiskey are plain toe blucher? they are really nice, can you post more pictures?

thanks, shoemart has nice pictures but, given their color they have a spring/summer appearance, can you tell if they are quite light shoes for spring use or they are heavier than they look like to me?

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vivalet
You could look at it as a unique trait of your shoe. Handmade things are not always precision perfect, but they have character. You notice it now when they are brand new, but after the creases start (and maybe you won't like where they fall), it will not be noticeable.

That said, go with your gut.

Yeah, now I'm thinking it's like fingerprints, or a distinctive feature of handmade shoes. My wife didn't notice the flaw when looking at them closely, so it's doubtful that anyone will ever notice. So I'm leaning towards keeping them at this point.

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dodo
thanks, shoemart has nice pictures but, given their color they have a spring/summer appearance, can you tell if they are quite light shoes for spring use or they are heavier than they look like to me?

the PTB, LWB, pretty much any barrie lasted shoe is very heavy. mine are heavier than my work boots.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hot Dog Day #49
the PTB, LWB, pretty much any barrie lasted shoe is very heavy. mine are heavier than my work boots.
All of my Aldens are quite heavy. Perhaps it's the wood mid-sole and leather sole.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they're just really ******* quality built shoes, it shows in a variety of ways
For around ~$500 they're not bad. I've been told C&J and Tricker's are of higher quality though.

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
For around ~$500 they're not bad. I've been told C&J and Tricker's are of higher quality though.
i haven't had a pair of trickers yet but they're next on my list. i'm not a fan of c&j only because they don't really fit my aesthetic very well, a bit too sleek.

Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I think the off kilter toe medallion a few pages back supports his claim well.
please, they're benchmade shoes, mistakes will be made. they're cool about returns and ****, no problems. not every shoe is going to be perfect.

ChessDan

Reaction score
I need a versatile, brown shoe that will mostly be worn with jeans and chinos and occasionally with a sport coat. What Alden shoe would be best?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
All of my Aldens are quite heavy. Perhaps it's the wood mid-sole and leather sole.
+1. I have a pair of the Alden Men's All Weather Walker Calfskin that is made with a rubber sole and its extremely light. There are much lighter compared to my leather soled Aldens

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i haven't had a pair of trickers yet but they're next on my list. i'm not a fan of c&j only because they don't really fit my aesthetic very well, a bit too sleek.

please, they're benchmade shoes, mistakes will be made. they're cool about returns and ****, no problems. not every shoe is going to be perfect.

I plan on picking up a pair of navy Tricker's myself.

I've seen your pictures on WAYWT and I think C&J can play well in your wardrobe. You're on the more conservative side, similar to how I am.

I will buy these shoes sooner or later. Gotta focus on belts and shirts for now.

HorseHide

Reaction score
they're just really ******* quality built shoes

I'm thinking that Alden should start using this as their tag line (providing adequate compensation to the author of course)...

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I plan on picking up a pair of navy Tricker's myself. I've seen your pictures on WAYWT and I think C&J can play well in your wardrobe. You're on the more conservative side, similar to how I am. I will buy these shoes sooner or later. Gotta focus on belts and shirts for now.
i think they're too sleek. i like the clunkiness of the barrie last, tricker's too. i work in a business casual office so they kind of separate from all the ****** sleek kenneth cole/cole hann **** everyone else wears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads