• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit for a Wedding

Reaction score
Would a herring bone patterned suit be considered too casual for a wedding?

My wife's brother is getting married in June. I don't want to wear a black suit due to the temperature and I have a recently purchased a Hugo Boss two button that has a micro herring bone pattern that I want to try out but I'm wondering if it's too casual. I won't be apart of the ceremonies, just a guest.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would really depend on the formality and scale of the occasion, and the social circle present. A wedding can be trash showing up wearing Hawaiian shirts with a shoelace for a tie, all the way up to full Black Tie. But if it accessorized smartly, I see no reason why a micro herringbone pattern would be ruled out.

Reaction score
Thanks.

According to my wife the event isn't black tie, but a tie and jacket is required. Hopefully, every gentleman won't be wearing black. My suit is a dark, grayish brown. I think a plain white shirt with a matte black tie will be all right. I'm sitting with my wife and her family and don't want to be the odd man out.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please post photos of the suit.

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by H. neanderthalensis
Thanks. According to my wife the event isn't black tie, but a tie and jacket is required. Hopefully, every gentleman won't be wearing black. My suit is a dark, grayish brown. I think a plain white shirt with a matte black tie will be all right. I'm sitting with my wife and her family and don't want to be the odd man out.
I personally hope none of the gentlemen are wearing black. They do that here in Japan, and it just looks bad. But then again, the traditional color for Japanese funerals was a mid-grey, so I guess they don't feel the same sort of prohibition on such somber dress for a happy occasion...

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
I personally hope none of the gentlemen are wearing black.

At least in much of the US, many of the young men at such a wedding might be expected to wear black suits. Far fewer of the older gentlemen - particularly those who wear suits more than once in a blue moon - would be wearing black suits.

This is not a hard and fast rule. It's just what I've observed at weddings (and similar functions) over the past several years.

I'm closing in on 50 years of age, and don't care much for black suits. (Generally, not even at funerals.) But then, neither did I care for them 25 years ago. I was taught that with vanishingly few exceptions, if you're considering wearing a black suit, you'd be better off wearing a dark grey suit. Maybe this is old fashioned advice, and maybe it's not entirely valid (that's certainly arguable), but I'm comfortable with it and don't really have much motivation to overcome this anti-black bias.

Anyway, I accept that it's currently fashionable in certain circles to wear black suits for both professional and social purposes, particularly among those who wish to appear stylish and modern. I don't happen to share this preference, but I accept that it exists. And if I show up somewhere where more than half the men are wearing black suits, I never feel uncomfortable or under-dressed simply because I'm wearing grey or navy.

FWIW, I was also taught that one wears black shoes with one's grey and navy suits. But I did work up the motivation to overcome that bias, and at this very moment I'm sporting a pair of burgundy AE Park Avenues with a navy suit. So it's not like I slavishly adhere to every wardrobe rule I was taught in my youth.
--
Michael

PS - H. neanderthalensis, if it's not a black tie event, your suit is probably fine. (Without a picture I'm reluctant to go beyond "probably.") But, like tgt465, I don't think your black tie is the best choice.

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
At least in much of the US, many of the young men at such a wedding might be expected to wear black suits. Far fewer of the older gentlemen - particularly those who wear suits more than once in a blue moon - would be wearing black suits.

This is not a hard and fast rule. It's just what I've observed at weddings (and similar functions) over the past several years.

I'm closing in on 50 years of age, and don't care much for black suits. (Generally, not even at funerals.) But then, neither did I care for them 25 years ago. I was taught that with vanishingly few exceptions, if you're considering wearing a black suit, you'd be better off wearing a dark grey suit. Maybe this is old fashioned advice, and maybe it's not entirely valid (that's certainly arguable), but I'm comfortable with it and don't really have much motivation to overcome this anti-black bias.

Anyway, I accept that it's currently fashionable in certain circles to wear black suits for both professional and social purposes, particularly among those who wish to appear stylish and modern. I don't happen to share this preference, but I accept that it exists. And if I show up somewhere where more than half the men are wearing black suits, I never feel uncomfortable or under-dressed simply because I'm wearing grey or navy.

FWIW, I was also taught that one wears black shoes with one's grey and navy suits. But I did work up the motivation to overcome that bias, and at this very moment I'm sporting a pair of burgundy AE Park Avenues with a navy suit. So it's not like I slavishly adhere to every wardrobe rule I was taught in my youth.
--
Michael

PS - H. neanderthalensis, if it's not a black tie event, your suit is probably fine. (Without a picture I'm reluctant to go beyond "probably.") But, like tgt465, I don't think your black tie is the best choice.

Charcoal or a navy suit with a conservative tie will be fine. A charcoal suit and regimental tie are what I'm wearing to my cousin's wedding.

divitius

Reaction score
It probably depends on how 'micro' the pattern is. This is my go-to job interview suit:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

I don't think anyone would consider that too casual (I even got an offer while wearing it
bounce2.gif
)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by divitius
This is my go-to job interview suit

I own a similar suit - mine's also Saxxon, also navy herringbone, but a Madison, not Fitzgerald. I wouldn't hesitate to wear it to a job interview, no matter how conservative the potential employer. The herringbone pattern is sufficiently subtle that it gets a pass as an honorary solid navy suit.
--
Michael

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads