• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asian American Overachievers when test taking endsing ends.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DidYouknow
If asian people had the desire to become team leaders I think it would happen. The other races in the U.S. White,black,spanish outnumber asians. Im impressed at the amount of ceo's that are asian with so little asians striving in that direction to begin with.

With your lack of quantitative reasoning, I can tell you must not be Asian.

v.freeman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
However, there is often a self-knowing hyprocisy and jealousy underlying such bigotry. Growing up, it did not escape me that the same white parents who denounced Asian American students for being soulless when they beat their own kids in school, sports, art, music, etc., secretly schemed to get their children in with very same Asian-exclusive Asian tutors or piano teachers who were spreading all the soullessness.

As evident in this thread by examples such as:

Originally Posted by Joenobody0
My direct supervisor is Asian. His supervisor (Senior Exec) is Asian. They are both terrible at communication, are afraid to speak up and "rock the boat", and always attempt to force-fit analysis to what their audience wants. Most second year analysts have more leadership skills than these two. There is absolutely no way that either of them will be promoted above their current positions.

They are both very smart and hard working. I will be happy to manage a group of their clones in a few years.

alphaO888

Reaction score
My direct supervisor is Asian. His supervisor (Senior Exec) is Asian. They are both terrible at communication, are afraid to speak up and "rock the boat", and always attempt to force-fit analysis to what their audience wants. Most second year analysts have more leadership skills than these two. There is absolutely no way that either of them will be promoted above their current positions.

They are both very smart and hard working. I will be happy to manage a group of their clones in a few years.

Due to your ignorance I'm assuming that you are not talking about banking when you use the term "analyst".

DidYouknow

Reaction score
With your lack of quantitative reasoning, I can tell you must not be Asian.

sigh,
Well joe, I dont know how english is down south... but what I just said was correct without the stats. If you want the numbers use what people in the east and west call google. have a nice day now you here. and dont roam around these parts no more.

warmpi

Reaction score
I never thought I'd be quoting Yahoo news, but just today I saw two articles that I thought relevant to this thread (the second one is rehashed news, don't know why it was still in the headlines).
Teen Discovers Promising Cystic Fibrosis Treatment A 16-year-old from the Toronto area used a supercomputer system to find a new drug combination that shows potential in treating the genetic disorder cystic fibrosis, and won top honors for his work. Marshall Zhang, an 11th-grade student at Richmond Hill's Bayview Secondary School, received first place Tuesday (May 10) in the 2011 Sanofi-Aventis BioTalent Challenge, a contest in which students conduct their own research projects with the help of mentors. ... After taking Advanced Placement Biology last year, in Grade 10, Zhang decided he wanted to do what real scientists do and began contacting professors to see if he could work in their labs.
‘Domestic Transformer’: Tiny apartment transforms into 24 rooms Gary Chang's Hong Kong apartment takes space-innovation to an entirely new level. Chang, the architect behind Edge Design Institute in Hong Kong, transfigured his 344-square-foot apartment into what he calls the "Domestic Transformer." ... The architect aims to see his ideas implemented in multi-unit buildings, encouraging developers to check out his tiny abode.
I think their creativity and ambition are evident. As for leadership, Asian Americans have it tougher. The controversial parenting methods notwithstanding: 1) The first generation was all middle class professionals that found success by keeping their heads low and working harder than anybody else. They did their kids a disservice by passing on these middle class ambitions. 2) Asians in the US are a visible minority and, while disproportionately successful, are too few in number. It's difficult for a minority to command a majority, and unfortunately I think it leads some to give up too soon. 3) Asian organized crime in the US does great, a big part of it owing to great leadership.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me like every famous, currently non practicing doctor or lawyer, Asian professional (such as in acting like Dr. Ken Jeong, or in journalism, like Dr. Sanjay Gupta, or in politics like Dr. Steven Chu (Nobel Laureate in Physics), HAS to be way more qualified than any of their predecessors in history for their position?

DidYouknow

Reaction score
I'm not knocking ken jeong for his accomplishments. When you see most movies with leading roles. They are caucasian men. They are portrayed as dominant in most movies I've seen. i'll state again, there are very few korean men and women in the acting business to begin with.
So what your left with is the few people you have that are korean will give viewers the impression of the korean community. Why? because like i said before there are few koreans in the U.S. in contrast with the other races that saturate the country. So there are going to be areas of the country where there may be no koreans in the area at all. Assuming that area of people watch tv, they'll have an image of asians. I think some racism and bios is formed in that way. Imagine if the country's ratio of koreans could break even with just blacks.
This would not be an issue because you would have people breaking the steriotypes on a daily basis. There are asians that commit crimes, you will have asians that are over 6 feet tall. There are good looking and karismatic asians with dare i say swag. Another thing, dont twist chinese, thai, cambodian, vietnamese, or japanese with koreans. We are all different. Thats how i feel as a korean, dont get it mixed up.

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
Jesus Christ All Mighty!

ffffuuuu.gif

alphaO888

Reaction score
I'm not knocking ken jeong for his accomplishments. When you see most movies with leading roles. They are caucasian men. They are portrayed as dominant in most movies I've seen. i'll state again, there are very few korean men and women in the acting business to begin with.

This is a horrible analogy. There are no leading roles filled by Asian actors because of the social stigmas that asians have - all of which are perpetuated by this horribly written article.

Please learn how to spell before proclaiming your Asian heritage in the future... you're making us look bad.

DidYouknow

Reaction score
Spelling isnt a concern because this isnt for any of my classes. A number of people within the asian community bash their own culture saying about the exact same thing you would say in regards to making "us" look bad. What i said was that asians arent playing dominant roles. Please show me movies where there is an asian stock broker as the main character, Or a gang movie with a solid plot with the asians speaking perfect english without an accent. List goes on and on, I just used wallstreet, and Mob movies in particular. Also you should focus on the substance rather then throwing words around to mask bs. If you have anything else to say p.m. Your making a fool out of yo

alphaO888

Reaction score
Spelling isnt a concern because this isnt for any of my classes. A number of people within the asian community bash their own culture saying about the exact same thing you would say in regards to making "us" look bad. What i said was that asians arent playing dominant roles. Please show me movies where there is an asian stock broker as the main character, Or a gang movie with a solid plot with the asians speaking perfect english without an accent. List goes on and on, I just used wallstreet, and Mob movies in particular. Also you should focus on the substance rather then throwing words around to mask bs. If you have anything else to say p.m. Your making a fool out of yo

I guess I'll have to spell it out for you since you're too dense to sit down and think it through yourself.

You cannot compare acting in the movie industry to becoming a CEO in the workforce because of several reasons. Assuming a perfect workplace, becoming a CEO is based on merit including hard work, intelligence, leadership skills and spelling. Even though the workplace isn't perfect, everyone proclaims that hard work will get you whatever you want so it's an ideal that we all uphold. When you look at Hollywood, the best actor does NOT always get the leading role. So much depends on what the actor looks like, whether he/she fits the role in the movie, whether the audience will like the actor, and whether the producer/director wants to hire the actor in the first place; this creates a reward system that is superficially biased so that there isn't a level playing ground for everyone. That is why I say it is based on social stigmas.

Understand? Now go make sure you finish your homework before Monday.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To DidYouKnow and alpha0888,

I do agree spelling and grammar is not the primarily issue of the topic, but it is always helpful to proof-read your comment. Everything inevitably make spelling or typing mistake but to correct it reflects self respect.

I do agree particular American and British has portrait the asian race as villains or people who lack self confidence. Although there are graduate improvements, such as 'Green Hornet' which features Jay Chow, one of the most famous pop star known to the far east, as a hidden hero, albeit Asian characters in western movies have the tendency of being the violent or at least the person who exercise force. Surely with the rise of China's economy the image of Chinese or indeed the image of Asian will improve given time

I am waiting for a Hollywood love fiction to film an Asian male's love story with a foreigner, that is when people's eye is going to open. And the stereotyping is going to cease

I am a fellow Chinese man lives in UK and that is what I think, sorry if there are any grammar mistake

DidYouknow

Reaction score
"According to a recent study, Asian-ÂAmericans represent roughly 5 percent of the population but only 0.3 percent of corporate officers, less than 1 percent of corporate board members, and around 2 percent of college presidents. There are nine Asian-American CEOs in the Fortune 500. "

The only time i ever used the word ceo was to refer to this quote, and this quote alone. I didn't mention ceo anywhere else after, and I should of been more specific as some people aren't capable of making out the difference in topics. I was pointing out the bios that asians face in the music industry. Let me drop a few more gems so you understand that what you just stated was frivolous. I am fully aware of the reality of how the industry runs itself. I know that being a good actor doesn't affect what role you land in. Sometimes its about what role that they are searching for, and yes what appeals to the audience. They produce movies that cater to the american audience. Naturally an asian man playing a major role in truth isnt as appealing as a white male that could play the same role, but in their perspective, perhaps even better. This is a discussion board, I solely put my 2 cents on the table. What you did was attempted to jab at whatever you could. If you don't agree with anything thas cool, all i'm saying is to make a contribution to the arguement, dont make offensive remarks that you cant follow up on face to face. I'm putting this down as kindly as I possibly can so you don't make the same mistake in the future. If you want any more suggestions like i said shoot me a p.m. brother.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads