• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up my first pair of monk strap shoes, a pair of Fratelli Rossetti Cottos. When I store these with shoe trees in, should I leave the strap buckled or unbuckled? I was assuming buckled but I was wondering if that would cause the leather on the buckle to eventually wear down.
Thanks,
Fred

ReversoLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
I believe Filson offers a discount to SF members. Either way, for a bag that will last your lifetime, probably worth paying full price.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can get the discount code? I did a search on the SF website, but the code I found was expired/invalid. Does anyone know if there's a new code? Also... Brown, Otter Green, or Tan?! They all seem perfect...

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn
I picked up my first pair of monk strap shoes, a pair of Fratelli Rossetti Cottos. When I store these with shoe trees in, should I leave the strap buckled or unbuckled? I was assuming buckled but I was wondering if that would cause the leather on the buckle to eventually wear down.
Thanks,
Fred

I never buckle them.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
Can anyone identify the AE spectators shoes in the picture above the "Classic/Timeless/etc" category on the AE home page? Is it the Strawfut or a different shoe? http://www.allenedmonds.com/
Strawfut, in linen/brown. I own that shoe. It rocks so much ass. Going to love wearing it this summer.
Originally Posted by poissa
so I had an 'accident' at lunch where I managed to get mustard all over my shirt and wool pants. Will the cleaners be able to remove said stains
frown.gif

Depends on a lot of things, composition of the mustard, type of wool, how "set" the stain is... Get them to a cleaner sooner rather than later.

nohio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ReversoLover
Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can get the discount code? I did a search on the SF website, but the code I found was expired/invalid. Does anyone know if there's a new code?

Also...

Brown, Otter Green, or Tan?! They all seem perfect...

Try calling Crane's (store linked at the top of the page). They might be able to help you out. Filson is cracking down on vendors who offer discounts, though.

16simon

Reaction score
Just got some trousers back from being hemmed - the inner part of the hem has been pinched in slightly at the rear crease and there is a corresponding small gap between the inner and outer fabric at the front.

It's only very small but unless I'm careful I catch my foot on the gap at the front when pulling the trousers on, and the hand stitching comes undone after a few times of doing this. This was done by a tailor who has otherwise done good work for me; is there a reason that the hem would be done this way, or is it poor workmanship?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 16simon
Just got some trousers back from being hemmed - the inner part of the hem has been pinched in slightly at the rear crease and there is a corresponding small gap between the inner and outer fabric at the front.

It's only very small but unless I'm careful I catch my foot on the gap at the front when pulling the trousers on, and the hand stitching comes undone after a few times of doing this. This was done by a tailor who has otherwise done good work for me; is there a reason that the hem would be done this way, or is it poor workmanship?

Are they hemmed at an angle? This may be unavoidable with certain fabrics when hemming the back lower than the front (which should probably be the case unless you have them cuffed), depending on the size of the angle. I'd just be a bit more careful when putting them on...

ichobi

Reaction score
tumblr_lkf769D4jJ1qcwnkmo1_500.jpeg

Anyone know the maker of these saddle shoes? They look like Mcnairy's but they aren't, I emailed him.
The colour looks perfect for Summer!.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ReversoLover
Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can get the discount code? I did a search on the SF website, but the code I found was expired/invalid. Does anyone know if there's a new code?

Also...

Brown, Otter Green, or Tan?! They all seem perfect...

There is a filson thread. Request one from Crane's by posting or PMing. Personally being in Canada, I didn't go through them because it was the same for me to buy it locally.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...142198&page=23

I really like the tan. I went with the canvas green because of availability and I have no regrets.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ichobi
tumblr_lkf769D4jJ1qcwnkmo1_500.jpeg

Anyone know the maker of these saddle shoes? They look like Mcnairy's but they aren't, I emailed him.
The colour looks perfect for Summer!.

J&M have very similar shoes. Check out their website.

vertol

Reaction score
I have a Calvin Klein 1 button black peak lapel suit and am wondering what sort of shirt and tie to wear with it. This is for a formal event. Would it be acceptable to wear a tuxedo shirt and bow tie (maybe even a cummerbund)? Or would this look stupid and should I just wear a regular neck tie instead?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads