• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Style in the deep south?

Renton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
seersucker/pincord suit
tan tropical wool suit
hopsack blazer
white/dirty bucks
needlepoint belt with favorite motif
pastel polos, preferably from a Southern maker like Southern Tide, Southern Proper, etc.
madras shirts - long-sleeve with sleeves rolled
patch madras shorts
spectators, if you run in that direction
burgundy penny loafers

If you stick to that list, you're pretty much set. Seersucker is a must but be prepared for one or two odd looks.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
**** Off.

+1. As a Baton Rouge resident myself, all of the advice seems pretty on key.

coolshoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PhiloVance
Wow, is that Dom DeLouise circa Cannonball Run in the first pic? Awesome
laugh.gif

That's actually chef Paul Prudhomme. He does bear an uncanny resemblance to Dom.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolshoes
That's actually chef Paul Prudhomme. He does bear an uncanny resemblance to Dom.

Obese chef are great...

That is the skinny ones I'm worried about...

thebarbaron

Reaction score
Even in other parts of the south, the dandy is resurging. I'm in Virginia (more rural/suburban, less DC), and I get down to the Carolinas and Georgia frequently.

Seersucker is always popular; white bucks are a nice detail that gives you an edge but not necessary. Lots of tan/cream linen, cotton, or worsted. For dress shirts, edge towards the light blues, pinks, even an occasional yellow. Bowties always pull in lots of feminine compliments. Be prepared for the socklessness - in many parts of the South, during the summer months, socks with dress shoes are optional, even for moderately formal occasions. Embrace it! (Except with a few of your best/most expensive pairs of shoes ;-P)

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
+1. As a Baton Rouge resident myself, all of the advice seems pretty on key.

+2. Although I grew up in Montgomery , AL, Mother's side hails from around the Baton Rouge area...

I'll be in New Orleans next month and will be wearing OCBDs, SC burgundy pennies, Argyle OC socks, etc.

Shorts and button down long or short sleeve shirts are good too. We even wear blue jeans, OCBDs, and chukkas...

If you are going to be on the water in the evening, you might want to think about a light jacket as it can get a little chilly. Just a thought.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SVS
I'm spending the summer just outside of Baton Rouge and New Orleans and need some southern clothing. Are seersucker suits and white bucs really common?

In some settings, yes. In others, no. (Although even where they're not common, that doesn't necessarily mean they're inappropriate.)

It's not just a Baton Rouge and New Orleans things. I live in Baltimore County, Maryland. And in the late spring or summer, I'd be perfectly comfortable wearing a seersucker suit with white bucs to certain events, parties, etc. And I'd feel awkward wearing them to other functions at the same time of year.

To give an extreme example of what I mean, there's no way I'd choose to address the Board of Directors in seersucker and white bucs. But I'd happily attend my friends' outdoor engagement part next month dressed that way. Similarly, I wouldn't attend a funeral in seersucker and white bucs (no matter that I've seen plenty of funeral attendees wearing jeans, polo shirts, sneakers, etc.), or consider it my "go to" clothing for an employment interview at a conservative law firm. But I wouldn't necessarily rule them out to wear to many restaurants, afternoon concerts, perhaps even certain religious services.

Since you specifically mention garden parties, seersucker and white bucs are likely a perfectly fine choice.

What do I need?
Pretty much what you'd need in Baltimore or Seattle or Atlanta or Denver or etc. Adopting "regional costuming" is usually not all that great an idea. Many local residents may regard it as a form of mockery, and be offended by it. If you're going to do it at all, do it cautiously.

Assuming you're living in the US, and have an appropriate summer wardrobe for your current place of residence, chances are it will largely suffice for Louisiana.

So, what do you already have, that you'd wear to a summer garden party where you now are? Or haven't you an appropriate summer wardrobe for such occasions, regardless of the region of the country where they might take place?
--
Michael

Ole War Skule

Reaction score
Whatever you do...don't buy anything from Southern Proper or Southern Tide or Southern whatever the **** you might run across at Perlis in NOLA or McClavy's in BR.

You'll like like a try too hard LSU fraternity guy, and unless you are one, that's no way to go through life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads