• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first 'real' suit. Would appreciate input!

beaconshome

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I would like your input regarding my first real suit purchase. I figured in the near future I will be going on interviews and could use an all round suit. I recently purchased this Brooks Brothers Black Fleece suit from Gilt and would like your opinions on what needs to be tailor. I obviously know the pants and sleeves need tailoring, but what else? Does the jacket need to be taken in on the sides? I know the button down shirt isn't an appropriate choice with a suit, but I just wanted to take a few quick pictures.

I live about an hour and a half away from a Brooks Brothers store, if I brought my suit there could I have tailoring done? I live in Northeast Wisconsin, so the amount of "˜good' tailors relatively close to my proximity is limited. Thanks for all your help!!

Also, I'm pretty short, 5' 7" so should I get cuffs or not?

tr3wVl.jpg

C5g0Cl.jpg

er4oYl.jpg

zccnwl.jpg

9Ucyml.jpg

W3Yyxl.jpg

rD5bSl.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mmm. 5/10

Sleeves too long, waist too big, thighs too big, trouser length somewhat too long. These changes will make something of it but I wonder if you could not have found something better fitting in the first place rather than rely on alterations?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's gunna cost you about 100 bucks min in fees to get it looking good. BBBF isn't particullary slim either. It's more a soft box shape

also why isn't a button down collar ok for a suit lol

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The buttoning point doesn't really help the waist much, the back is a mess...

Decaffeinated

Reaction score
Too bad this is from Gilt, since their return policy blows...
Like phoenixrecon said, it's gonna cost you at least $100, and probably closer to $150, to get this suit anywhere near wearable. It doesn't really flatter you at all -- sleeves (length + width) / waist (everywhere) / back (everywhere) on the jacket alone, plus the trouser length and taper (almost looks like your leg is bent backwards in the side profile picture).

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now it does not look good.

Preliminary Questions: What size did you order? Does the coat fit your shoulders? Does it feel snug around the midsection at all?

Tips: Undo the tacking stitches on the coat. Shorten the sleeves and trou. This will alleviate much of the concern. There is some bunching in the back, but a good tailor may be able to fix that.

Once you adjust the length of sleeves and trou, I think you'll be mostly ok. The sack coat is very forgiving.

LittleTimmy

Reaction score
I feel that the best photos taken for critique purposes are taken at eye level.

many aspects of the suit look too large for you. How much do you weigh?

What color is the suit?

Sorry I cant help about your in store tailoring question. Maybe someone else knows.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually don't weigh in on these conversations, but I think people are being a little harsh on the OP.

Really the only measurement that matters is the shoulder measurement. It's a little hard to tell, given the angle of the shots, but the shoulders don't seem to be horrible. They aren't fantastic and perfectly befitting slim suit, but that's not the kind of suit this is, and they can be worked with.

To those saying that it'll cost $100 to get it tailored properly, like that is something extraordinary, I would say that's normal. Not all people fit things off-the-rack in a perfect way. I have terrible collar roll on almost every single jacket I try on. It needs to be dealt with but after, it's fine. The back on the OP is messy, but release the vents, fix the back between the shoulder blades, take in the waist and he'll be doing just fine.

The trousers need to be hemmed, but the OP already said as much. I would personally get cuffs, but YMMV. Sleeves need to be shortened but again, the OP already said as much.

OP, I wouldn't let people's negative comments get you down. There is work that needs to be done, but it's not anything out of the ordinary and you should have a serviceable first suit once it's taken care of.

Looch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
I usually don't weigh in on these conversations, but I think people are being a little harsh on the OP.

Really the only measurement that matters is the shoulder measurement. It's a little hard to tell, given the angle of the shots, but the shoulders don't seem to be horrible. They aren't fantastic and perfectly befitting slim suit, but that's not the kind of suit this is, and they can be worked with.

To those saying that it'll cost $100 to get it tailored properly, like that is something extraordinary, I would say that's normal. Not all people fit things off-the-rack in a perfect way. I have terrible collar roll on almost every single jacket I try on. It needs to be dealt with but after, it's fine. The back on the OP is messy, but release the vents, fix the back between the shoulder blades, take in the waist and he'll be doing just fine.

The trousers need to be hemmed, but the OP already said as much. I would personally get cuffs, but YMMV. Sleeves need to be shortened but again, the OP already said as much.

OP, I wouldn't let people's negative comments get you down. There is work that needs to be done, but it's not anything out of the ordinary and you should have a serviceable first suit once it's taken care of.

I agree. This isn't a terrible starting point at all. Most men on the street wear their suits exactly this way and don't think twice. Shorten the sleeves and pants, suppress the waist and you'll probably have a very serviceable suit.

beaconshome

Reaction score
Ok guys. I took a couple more pictures from a different height and I opened up the vents in the back. The shoulders feel good. I measured them and got 17.75" and I compared that to another suit jacket I have which is 17.5" This is BBBF size 2. My weight is ~150 lbs. I appreciate the comments. Thank you!

pGqh2l.jpg

TOP0hl.jpg

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beaconshome
Ok guys. I took a couple more pictures from a different height and I opened up the vents in the back. The shoulders feel good. I measured them and got 17.75" and I compared that to another suit jacket I have which is 17.5" This is BBBF size 2. My weight is ~150 lbs. I appreciate the comments. Thank you!

The fit is not perfect, but it will be serviceable once you get the trou and sleeves hemmed.

Add cuffs - 1-1.5".

JS1357

Reaction score
Hey as you may notice, the people on this forum are very critical.

I think you did good. The suit looks fine and you got a great deal by going to Gilt. I would never buy a suit without trying it on first, but you took the risk and it fits very well.

I would get the pants hemmed, NO cuff since you are only 5'7 and cuffs only serve to make you look shorter - trust me as I am a shorty too.

Get the sleeves done, which should be easy since the buttons are not on there yet (That is great-- i wish they sold ALL suits like that).

In the future, you should go for a two button suit since you are only 5'7. Three buttons are hard to pull off unless you are 6' tall.

The way you are wearing this is perfect. Never button the top button- it will serve to make you look shorter and make the suit boxier. As a rule, never close the bottom button either.

Enjoy your new suit!

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JS1357
I would get the pants hemmed, NO cuff since you are only 5'7 and cuffs only serve to make you look shorter - trust me as I am a shorty too.

Disagree. Get the cuffs, height be dammed. The BBBF trou are relatively slim and will lay better with a cuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads