• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**The Official P90X Thread**

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
How do you like it?
Originally Posted by TRINI
Cool. I ordered it because the doorframe bar i currently use doesn't allow me to get really wide on pull ups. What happens when you do the corncob pullups? Does it rock a lot?
It rocks/sways a little bit depending on how you transfer your weight. In a way it's good because it forces you to be very calm and smooth during the lateral movement. In general, it just requires a little more focus to not get too wild with your movements. Despite the shortcomings of the Trapeze Rigging bar though, it gives you the feeling that you're doing real pull ups on real bar and I like that. Edit: oh yeah and sometimes I use it to hang my shirts after I wash them.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bean Counter
I'm on day 30 today (Plyo - damn!) and I'm loving it so far. After doing the shoulder/chest/tri workout yesterday I could barely use my arms. Today my tri's feel like they are going to explode through my shirt - haha. After 30 days I'm already noticing an improvement - especially my abs and arms.

Overall, its a great variety of workouts that don't really get boring. Tony can be a bit annoying, but you can always turn down the volume and put your own music on...

Hey - if I can knock out an hour a day during tax season (i'm an accountant), then anyone can squeeze in an hour a day - just make the commitment. Its only 90 days...

What do you plan on doing after the 90 days?

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you're supposed to just keep going since the 90 days is just:

30 days routine A
30 days routine B
30 days routine A

if I recall correctly...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort

30 days routine A
30 days routine B
30 days routine A-B

Rinse, repeat.

if I recall correctly...

FTFY

Bean Counter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort

30 days routine A
30 days routine B
30 days routine A

if I recall correctly...

You can if you want to keep getting bigger or leaner i presume, but if you read through the P90X book, you can just go on the "maintenance" program, which is basically doing half the workouts and not 6 days a week. This should keep up your results from the initial 90 days.

Basically, if its your only method of staying in shape, keep doing the discs at 50%, but if you also cycle, run, swim, play hoops, basically anything else that has a decent amount of cardio, just mix in half a p90x disc 2 or 3 times a week to keep your muscle mass... Just don't forget to continue to eat well or all those Double Downs and Big Macs will get ya - obviously.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
I dont have a door that supports the pullup bar
frown.gif
God damn....

I have one where you screw brackets into the door frame and the bar hooks up to that (I live in a rental and am ok with patching the holes when I leave). The only problem is you can't get very wide.

What sucks is that my apartment has a low section running through the ceiling in all the rooms. This unfortunately crosses every doorway except the front and back doors to outside and means that I have to bend my head to the side to do a full pullup without hitting my head.

That issue aside, I have everything I need to start (videos, bands, bar) and was thinking about starting this week and hoping it doesn't interfere with my cycling routine (l*ong* weekend rides+ frequent commutes).

I might wait though as I have a 3.5 mile run on the 26th that I was going to train for and it might be easier to start p90x afterwards.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
What do you plan on doing after the 90 days?
The Insanity Asylum program includes a monthly schedule where you can alternate days of Insanity with P90X for when you've completed one program or the other. A neighbor let me borrow his Asylum "Strength" DVD and I was kaput before the warmup was even over. The focus of the workout and the presentation is very different from P90X - the instructor is more "Boot Camp" in delivery. And he saves the chin-ups until the end of the workout. Ouch. There's also the free LiveExercise.com which has daily sculpting and abs shows. It's very good, focused on resistance bands (and the accompanying door jam mount). They want you to buy their bands (which I must admit are the highest quality resistance bands I've seen), but a $15 three piece set is completely fine as well.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How should I plan my rest days--especially if I am getting a reasonable amount of out-of-program cardio?

I was thinking about doing friday as a rest day since I am least likely to have time to do the program after work and usually do not commute by bike on fridays...my other option was to put the rest day on saturday but lately I have been doing 4-5 hour bike rides on saturdays.

While having a long ride the same day as a normal program will make the p90x workout tough...wouldn't working so hard on a rest day defeat the purpose of a rest day?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
How should I plan my rest days--especially if I am getting a reasonable amount of out-of-program cardio?

I was thinking about doing friday as a rest day since I am least likely to have time to do the program after work and usually do not commute by bike on fridays...my other option was to put the rest day on saturday but lately I have been doing 4-5 hour bike rides on saturdays.

While having a long ride the same day as a normal program will make the p90x workout tough...wouldn't working so hard on a rest day defeat the purpose of a rest day?

http://sk8trnot.blogspot.com/2010/02...-schedule.html

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knowledge is King
It rocks/sways a little bit depending on how you transfer your weight. In a way it's good because it forces you to be very calm and smooth during the lateral movement. In general, it just requires a little more focus to not get too wild with your movements. Despite the shortcomings of the Trapeze Rigging bar though, it gives you the feeling that you're doing real pull ups on real bar and I like that.

Edit: oh yeah and sometimes I use it to hang my shirts after I wash them.

The setup came in last night and it's awesome!

Can't wait for legs and back tomorrow.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hyper-extended my left elbow over the weekend and haven't been able to do anything but Plyo and Kenpo as a result. Sucks.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
I hyper-extended my left elbow over the weekend and haven't been able to do anything but Plyo and Kenpo as a result. Sucks.
Bummer. When it's time you might want to start back using resistance tubes rather than weights - at least for the first few workouts. Injured Elbow Exercises - (of course, see your doctor first)

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for my equipment for my p90x... but I've been doing insanity for the time being. ITS HELL, feel like throwing up every single time afterwards.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
I'm waiting for my equipment for my p90x... but I've been doing insanity for the time being. ITS HELL, feel like throwing up every single time afterwards.

Yup. If you do it right, you will ALWAYS feel beat after the workout...the cool thing is when you do the fit tests and realize how much more you're able to do in the same amount of time.

I just started the 2nd month of Insanity. THAT **** will make you long for the days of month 1.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I decided to switch from lean to classic. The booklet made it sound like I wanted the lean program but reading things online (and looking more closely at the workouts) made me realize I just want to do the classic program with high reps. This should do what I want by the time cyclocross season rolls around.

Since the second half of the week overlaps...I am only down a chest/back and a plyo workout which I am ok with.

Not following the nutrition plan though...**** that. Sure I suppose it would be nice to be totally ripped but I like my food too much and am mostly doing this to get some extra strength (cycling doesn't do much for your upper body) and be in shape to enjoy things rather than to show off at the beach.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads