• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hazing in Greek Life

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
Legally/by nationals? Or what fraternities in general actually do.
What do you guys actually do? How big of pussies have you become?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
one guy at my school died of alcohol poisoning this semester during some hazing session. blood alcohol level was like .35. a few of the members are being charged minor crimes and the frat got disbanded

all freshmen have to go through a mandatory alcohol training program, but it's basically done on the computer. it doesn't affect anything academically and you can basically leave it on your computer running. it's also super long

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Legally/by nationals? Or what fraternities in general actually do.

One funny story I've heard from an old alumnus of ours was that at the University of Arkansas, they told girls they had to reach into a jar of eyeballs. They blindfolded them and brought around jars of peeled grapes[...]

This is actually awesome.

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
I can't imagine how much of a low self esteem having ***** I'd have to be to put up with any of that hazing bullshit they make frat bro's go through.
+1,000 Once you realize the benefits of joining a frat are practically nonexistent, it really makes you wonder why people go through all that crap to join. OP is a fuarking idiot for doing some of that stuff - he's lucky nobody was seriously hurt.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
What do you guys actually do? How big of pussies have you become?
I don't know if your pledgeship was after fraternity renaissance but.. I'm going to use experiences I heard when I was at Auburn in place of my own school's though the intensity is comparable. Locking the pledge class into a room with x kegs and y hours to drink it. Being forced to eat 30 boiled eggs in one sitting (apparently the smell of the egg whites really gets to you). Sleeping on the roof of the house. Calisthenics naked/near naked in the cold. The usual lineups where while passing handles of Maker's back and forth you get interrogated and whatnot. Being able to recite the Greek alphabet in the time it takes to burn a match (that's not really hazing though I don't think everyone does that). Kidnapping someone, dropping him 3 hours out, and making his brothers get him in the middle of the night. Making the pledges break into other Houses and stealing their awards/composites/charters if they were particularly dumb. Having bottles of beer thrown at you while being told to clean up the glass. Setting up a pledge minigolf course around the house with the holes being mouths. There is always a pledge with a shitload of taco bell and mcdonalds waiting for brothers after they get out of bars. This is mostly generic pledgeship stuff, but I can't speak for Hell week. I don't know much about other fraternitys' Hell week in any school.
Originally Posted by Saul Silver
+1,000 Once you realize the benefits of joining a frat are practically nonexistent, it really makes you wonder why people go through all that crap to join.
Living with your friends, fun formals, great chef, awesome housing, MASSIVE networking etc.? I mean it's not for everyone, no arguing that, but you don't see any benefits at all? Not after so many here shared their positive experiences of going Greek?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was hazed twenty years ago, and my chapter has been suspended and reinstated at least once since then. Ask your questions. I will answer.

We were in the same fraternity (different years and chapters of course). We did some crazy **** and had some close calls. But it was fun and great stories to tell years later.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Living with your friends, fun formals, great chef, awesome housing, MASSIVE networking etc.? I mean it's not for everyone, no arguing that, but you don't see any benefits at all? Not after so many here shared their positive experiences of going Greek?

It's not that people don't see the benefits. It's that all of those benefits can be achieved outside of the Greek system without the hazing needed to achieve them.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
We were in the same fraternity (different years and chapters of course). We did some crazy **** and had some close calls. But it was fun and great stories to tell years later.

You said that I was justifying stupid **** and I'm sure in hindsight 10-20 years down the line I'll probably think most of it was kinda dumb too. However, are the crazy ****, close calls, great stories, and fun honestly different? That's not a rhetorical question too.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We got blowjobs from a hooker on the seal in front of the whole house. Is that hazing or just good old fun? Most of the stuff ANY mentions was the same **** we did. Hell week was bad, but fun. A lot of it depended on how close you were with your big brother and whether he was willing to hide food in his room for you if you could break in. Otherwise, it was one serving of alpo mixed with chili and tabasco a day. Yuck. Some other stuff I'd rather not mention.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to join that black fraternity where they brand your arm with a giant ******* omega. That **** is intense. Knew a guy at my old gym with it and it looked awesome. He told me you dont get any warning and you dont get to be drunk first or anything.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
We got blowjobs from a hooker on the seal in front of the whole house. Is that hazing or just good old fun? Most of the stuff ANY mentions was the same **** we did. Hell week was bad, but fun. A lot of it depended on how close you were with your big brother and whether he was willing to hide food in his room for you if you could break in. Otherwise, it was one serving of alpo mixed with chili and tabasco a day. Yuck. Some other stuff I'd rather not mention.
During rush good one particular old school fraternity--real Southern old money who never would have bidded me, took us up to a cabin in the Appalachians and had us eat lollipops out of a hooker's vag. I guess if it sounds like Rush, it's just good ol' fun. I still can't listen to Enter Sandman without looking around in terror. A few fraternitys brand still. It's dying out mostly because you're signing your own hazing which seems marsupialed. I know a bunch of guys at law school who had giant Lambdas on their asses. Cattleprodding also is dying out--that ****'s too dangerous.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
It's not that people don't see the benefits. It's that all of those benefits can be achieved outside of the Greek system without the hazing needed to achieve them.
+1

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer

Formals with sororities? Giant national ragers at Las Vegas/New Orleans with the whole organization?

These may not be for you, but for those that enjoy them they're incredible experiences.

Also, I personally believe that a Greek network is one of the better ones you can have; grads can feel free to correct me if that turns out to be false. I think my chef is probably better than what I can make as a college student and what the school provides me with while saving money.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I want to join that black fraternity where they brand your arm with a giant ******* omega. That **** is intense. Knew a guy at my old gym with it and it looked awesome. He told me you dont get any warning and you dont get to be drunk first or anything.

Do they just sneak up on you and do it like how that one dude in Jar Heads was branded on the calf muscle?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads