• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reasons to use braces?

JDMills

Reaction score
Honestly they are so much more comfortable than belts, with a belt I'm always adjusting my pants and pulling them up. I also get tons of compliments on them so that helps
smile.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find the front of the shirt doesn't lay well.

Azzurri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I find the front of the shirt doesn't lay well.

Same here. I have problems getting to tuck my shirt in neatly at the back as well.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I get the opposite. If I'm floating my trousers a bit, the shirt tails never try to ride up out of my pants.
this

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find them quite comfortable to wear and a little bit more dressed up when I put them on. I think they look pretty good as well.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
People wear them to keep their trousers up. Some people wear fancy colours and what not, using them as a fashion statement, but their primary function is to keep your trousers up.
+1 on this, but I'd also add that the decision to wear braces depends mostly on what kind of slacks you wear. If your slacks are cut to ride down near your hips -- like jeans and khakis, for instance -- then braces are not called for. If your slacks are cut to sit at your waist, then braces will keep them in place much more successfully than will a belt.

Barnabus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
I find them quite comfortable to wear and a little bit more dressed up when I put them on. I think they look pretty good as well.

+1 same here

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juuceman
<fail> Vests and double breasted have nothing to do with the appropriate wear of braces.
You fail. His point seemed to be that a vest means a belt is inappropriate, therefore making braces a more likely option, though side-adjusters would be an option too.
Originally Posted by howbah
here in the USA, braces are used to straighten children's teeth. weird fact: In the UK, people use the word "braces" when they mean "suspenders"! (they don't ever use "braces" in our sense of the word, as any photo of a British person will confirm!!!)
'Braces' is used over here just as much for the tooth-straightening apparatus as in the sartorial context; probably more so considering how few people wear the latter these days. We just aren't as obsessed with having perfect teeth as the shallow image-obsessed Americans. And 'suspenders' are worn by women to hold up their stockings...

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
You fail. His point seemed to be that a vest means a belt is inappropriate, therefore making braces a more likely option, though side-adjusters would be an option too.

'Braces' is used over here just as much for the tooth-straightening apparatus as in the sartorial context; probably more so considering how few people wear the latter these days. We just aren't as obsessed with having perfect teeth as the shallow image-obsessed Americans. And 'suspenders' are worn by women to hold up their stockings...

Don't forget a rear adjuster if the trousers are belt-less and suspender-less self adjusting trousers.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
Don't forget a rear adjuster if the trousers are belt-less and suspender-less self adjusting trousers.

Does the rear adjuster offer any advantage/functional difference form side adjusters, or is it just a different way of doing the same thing?

And on the original topic, I find that braces work better than belts, and are more comfortable.

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

over here 'suspenders' are worn by women to hold up their stockings...

really? seems like overkill. here in the US women use garter belts for that.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
really? seems like overkill. here in the US women use garter belts for that.
lol8[1].gif
(In the unlikely case that you're not actually joking, over here suspenders and garters are the same thing)

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on a side note how can you tell if a pair of braces is well made and who still makes well made braces.

Montauk

Reaction score
I like the way braces feel, but not the way they look, so I tend by default to only wear them with DBs or 3 pcs myself.

Also, I think that "braces" is an entirely acceptable Anglicism for Americans to adopt as it makes a useful distinction from clip-on suspenders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads