• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I'd like it in 3-patch personally.
Originally Posted by Parker
I think you could do either, but I kinda lean toward flap . Maybe because solaro has that sheen to it makes it seem a little more "suity."
Thanks!
I will probably have a suit finished by Sunday and will show final result.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
Thanks!
I will probably have a suit finished by Sunday and will show final result.

Solaro? Who is making the suit?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My bad. Next time I"ll skip the close-up picture and just tell everybody how much it cost and who made it. Styleforum approved!

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
My bad. Next time I"ll skip the close-up picture and just tell everybody how much it cost and who made it. Styleforum approved!

I think you'd have a run for your money on what's more obnoxious.

Do you iron your underwear?

either/or

Reaction score
Ok, fwiw, if I expected equal-width stripes and didn't get, I would be disappointed as well.

-Ataturk, there's something about the way you come across. Consider whether it's the fact that you nitpick or how you nitpick.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Even if the difference is one thread? A difference that is not going to visible to the human eye.

I think I can see the difference on the grey stripe fabric, but to be certain I'd have to see the fabric in person, and from less than about 6".

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-Ataturk, there's something about the way you come across. Consider whether it's the fact that you nitpick or how you nitpick.
Really!? Aw, gosh golly man, I had no idea. If I'd have expected people to hurl various insults my way for nitpicking I'd surely have been more careful in my original post in this thread!
Even if the difference is one thread? A difference that is not going to visible to the human eye.
It's actually two threads wrapped together. Let me explain. The oxford weave is one heavy thread going sideways and two fine threads wrapped around each other going lengthwise, in a plain weave. These university stripes are 12 to an inch, and the stripes are supposed to be 4 threads wide each. So what happens if you make the white strips five threads wide instead of four? Now you get fewer stripes to an inch and the white ones are 25% wider than the colored ones. You think you can't see that with the naked eye? C'mon. I took a picture. Tell me you can't see it. The blue is an actual university stripe (from the same damn maker...).
oxford.jpg

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oxford.jpg

We see the distinction. We don't see the difference. And hence no sympathy.

either/or

Reaction score
-maybe, maybe-not, can't be sure without seeing it for real. iirc the human eye can distinguish between about 2 million colours, and about 120 dpi, so at certain distances it would be distinguishable. Also there would be a shift in the perceived overall whiteness of the shirt. While this is all nitpicking on an academic level, I still would have been disappointed if I didn't get what I thought I was going to get.
wink.gif
Really!? Aw, gosh golly man...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The cloth looks nice, A, I bet if you want to unload it you will find a buyer.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I have a 60" x 53" sheet of Minnis Crown Classic (2332 navy hopsack) left over from a commission that I might put on B&S for a trade - but is this enough fabric for somebody to make something with? (sorry for the noob question).

fwiw, here is the fabric in a pic:
2683240610043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

gomestar this jacket is an awsm fit and the whole get-up looks about as close to perfect IMO as anything ever doess. Congrats, and drink in good health
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads