• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interviewing on opposite coast

ndsleep612

Reaction score
I'm currently on the West Coast and is considering interviewing for jobs in NYC within the same company. I know that last minute airfare is very expensive along with last minute lodging. Has anyone ever had their interview travel expenses subsidized by the companies that they've interviewed with? Also please share your traveling experiences when interviewing on the opposite coast. How do you make it work? Much appreciated, thanks.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never interviewed at the opposite coast, but the one time I did get flown out to an interview, lodging and all transportation costs were taken care of by the company.

Another time a company paid for my amtrak ticket, so that's about it. I think it's pretty customary that if you're good enough to be asked to visit their offices for interviews, then they will accommodate all associated costs.

kasper007

Reaction score
same here, i've had to travel often for interviews and never had to pay anything. This is pretty standard so i'd be a little wary of a company that wouldn't pay

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know that my company doesn't pay for entry level positions (what you would start with out of undergrad though it is not uncommon for people with an MA to be at that level too). I think it sounds kind of ****** but we are as flexible as possible about scheduling you near other interviews in the city. We also make sure you talk to everyone who might need to interview you so that we won't have to call you back.

My experience is that if they are going to pay for it, it will say something like "Contact Steve in Travel Services at ### to arrange travel" although it doesn't hurt to ask.

The only thing may be that you already work for the company...at that point I could see them expecting you to pay for it. At least it is a tax write off.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndsleep612
I'm currently on the West Coast and is considering interviewing for jobs in NYC within the same company. I know that last minute airfare is very expensive along with last minute lodging. Has anyone ever had their interview travel expenses subsidized by the companies that they've interviewed with? Also please share your traveling experiences when interviewing on the opposite coast. How do you make it work? Much appreciated, thanks.

Always.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would never ever ever self pay a plane ticket for an interview

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
in one of my first jobs I covered my own travel costs for the interview, but I was trying to change cities as an almost-grad, rather than the company wanting to bring me over.

I figured since I approached them, the onus was on me to get myself there. They hired me and repaid my travel costs, but if I didn't get the job, I would have been out of pocket on it, and not resented anyone...

Later in my career as other opportunities presented themselves, the company always flew me in for the interviews.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

level32

Reaction score
OP is not a new hire as he is looking to move within the same company. In my mind, it would depend on what the situation surrounding the move would be. If OP is being requested by managers on another coast, it would be foolish of them not to fly him out. If OP just does not enjoy his current role and wants to leave for his personal reasons, I can easily see a lot of companies not fund it.

Either way it doesn't hurt to ask.

Wolfador

Reaction score
When I was interviewing with Google last year, they gave me the option of going to NYC or Santa Monica for the interview. I chose Santa Monica because that would be the site I would be working at.

They flew me from Pittsburgh to LA. I was able to fly in the day before and fly out the day after the interview (Flew in Thursday, interview Fri, Out on Saturday.)

They covered the flight and hotel, booked about a week in Adv. The rest I paid for and was reimbursed. (Food & rental car)

I didn't end up taking the job as the increase in pay wouldn't have offset the increase of everything else by living in the Santa Monica area, I did get a free vacation out of it as I had 2 days to walk around the Santa Monica area for free.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfador
When I was interviewing with Google last year, they gave me the option of going to NYC or Santa Monica for the interview. I chose Santa Monica because that would be the site I would be working at.

They flew me from Pittsburgh to LA. I was able to fly in the day before and fly out the day after the interview (Flew in Thursday, interview Fri, Out on Saturday.)

They covered the flight and hotel, booked about a week in Adv. The rest I paid for and was reimbursed. (Food & rental car)

I didn't end up taking the job as the increase in pay wouldn't have offset the increase of everything else by living in the Santa Monica area, I did get a free vacation out of it as I had 2 days to walk around the Santa Monica area for free.

personally, I'd pay that back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads