• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asian American Overachievers when test taking endsing ends.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a notable issue within the Asian community. The problem is that unlike blacks, Asians tend to identify along national lines, and then you have the Pinoys who don't even consider themselves Asians. So an Asian politician has no chance at the general elections. Most Asian politicians got their start at the city level because many of the voters are of the same ethnicity. Hawaii is a disappointing example, full of Asian voters, yet ruled by Jews.
Originally Posted by StephenHero
The lack of Asian politicians has always baffled me a bit.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Silicon Valley: many, many Asian managers, C-level execs, and entrepreneurs.

--Andre

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
My experience from working with management from both Asia and America...

Americans respect people with very high confidence who have a brash and aggressive style. ALL american managers that ive worked with have been like this. in fact ive never met a shy american. It must be beat out of them in primary school or something. Even young people can make it into management through being aggressive and activing confident - even when they havent had time to learn the core skills of the trade.

Asians are traditionally more respectful of humility and being humble. they tend to respect seniority and years of experience more. They also tend to be more shy and polite. These traits probably dont lend themselves to being seen as 'management material' in the US.

I think this is the most accurate post so far.

When most Americans get angry or agitated at something, they make it obvious in explicit ways. Asians tend to be extremely passive aggressive. I also think the way Asians perceive power in their countries of ancestry, as well as family, simply never translates to an American power structure. In Asian countries power is defined by a strict social hierarchy, and people are defined by their positions. Workers ad hear to what they think their position should dictate, and managers expect them to fall in line in very predictable ways. In a sense, when asians think that way in American companies, they pay little consideration to workers as individuals. Even if the asian is a highly capable individual, he cant bring anyone along with him. He doesn't have the charisma to be a leader, or the people skills to be a manager.

Originally Posted by GreenFrog
I think as a whole, one of the major disadvantages asians have is that on average, they tend to be less attractive than the average caucasian, hispanic, black person, or whatnot. There's just something about asian features that simply isn't appealing. And I'm Korean.
I get your point, but how would you explain jews? /no troll

Good looks do play a part in business, but I think asians can handle the bell curve better than you think. On a related note, I know a lot of asians think that looks are to blame when it comes to why they are generally unsuccessful with white women, but it really comes back to their ability to be charismatic. Specifically, asians seem unequipped to put a woman in her place or be romantic.

Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
The problem is that unlike blacks, Asians tend to identify along national lines, and then you have the Pinoys who don't even consider themselves Asians.

Maybe a good thing? Pinoy guys tend to be the most masculine and socially adjusted asians around.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I think this is the most accurate post so far. When most Americans get angry or agitated at something, they make it obvious in explicit ways. Asians tend to be extremely passive aggressive. I also think the way Asians perceive power in their countries of ancestry, as well as family, simply never translates to an American power structure. In Asian countries power is defined by a strict social hierarchy, and people are defined by their positions. Workers ad hear to what they think their position should dictate, and managers expect them to fall in line in very predictable ways. In a sense, when asians think that way in American companies, they pay little consideration to workers as individuals. Even if the asian is a highly capable individual, he cant bring anyone along with him. He doesn't have the charisma to be a leader, or the people skills to be a manager.
Um, even if you were right, which you are not, the article is talking about 2nd generation immigrants.
I get your point, but how would you explain jews? /no troll Good looks do play a part in business, but I think asians can handle the bell curve better than you think. On a related note, I know a lot of asians think that looks are to blame when it comes to why they are generally unsuccessful with white women, but it really comes back to their ability to be charismatic. Specifically, asians seem unequipped to put a woman in her place or be romantic. Maybe a good thing? Pinoy guys tend to be the most masculine and socially adjusted asians around.
It's actually a much more complex issue, I think, especially when we are considering that we are talking about relatively successful Asian men, who tend to be in technical positions. So, the group is already highly biased. You could probably say the same about white guys who attend Renaissance Fairs. However, a lot of it has to do with stereotypes and prejudices as well. This from an Asian guy who dated only white women and ended up marrying a white girl. Think about it. Not too long ago, a while woman with a black guy would have been unheard of, and it's pretty common now in North America. Put a black guy in Hong Kong, and he probably couldn't buy a date (seriously). The bolded part: what the **** are you talking about?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't liek asians either.

Wrong thread? oh.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Korean dads are oftentimes pretty rough with domestic violence. Not really an issue of putting a women in their place, though they do it in one of the absolute worst ways possible :x Asian wives tend to be far more domesticated than their white/black/etc. counterparts.

ichobi

Reaction score
Why are you guys having debate on why Azn men couldn't attack white women :S This is so natural. It's the same as why most white men don't fancy black women, or White women doesn't fancy black men. People can associate more with the opposite sex from the same ethnic group, and generally tend to find other ethnic group alien irrespective of their appearance (being handsome/ pretty is a plus no doubt). Course, there are gazillions of azn girls crazy for the Twilight boys, but if Hollywood film isn't a globally dominating entertainment medium, I doubt that would be the case.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
Korean dads are oftentimes pretty rough with domestic violence. Not really an issue of putting a women in their place, though they do it in one of the absolute worst ways possible :x Asian wives tend to be far more domesticated than their white/black/etc. counterparts.

I was going to say. I had a Korean friend in college and he was one of the most macho dudes I've ever known. I remember shortly after arriving here some girl in a our house took him to task and we thought he was going to kill her. He couldn't fathom having a chick talk to him like that. He was also ex military and could kill people with his hands.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
god you guys are stupid

Pretty much this.

Thread is full of overweight white guys, asian self haters who dress 20 years older than they are with clothes all purchased at significant discounts - even used stuff LOL

BRB not wearing other people's clothing and not buying a "big-timer" suit off the bay.

It's cool to hate on teh Azns...

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Check out Silicon Valley: many, many Asian managers, C-level execs, and entrepreneurs.

--Andre

entrepreneurs and managers yes, C level no

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 I agrree with this post

Originally Posted by pebblegrain
god you guys are stupid

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I was going to say. I had a Korean friend in college and he was one of the most macho dudes I've ever known. I remember shortly after arriving here some girl in a our house took him to task and we thought he was going to kill her. He couldn't fathom having a chick talk to him like that. He was also ex military and could kill people with his hands.

I'm so macho, I once made Chuck Norris cry.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Um, even if you were right, which you are not, the article is talking about 2nd generation immigrants.

It's actually a much more complex issue, I think, especially when we are considering that we are talking about relatively successful Asian men, who tend to be in technical positions. So, the group is already highly biased. You could probably say the same about white guys who attend Renaissance Fairs. However, a lot of it has to do with stereotypes and prejudices as well. This from an Asian guy who dated only white women and ended up marrying a white girl. Think about it. Not too long ago, a while woman with a black guy would have been unheard of, and it's pretty common now in North America. Put a black guy in Hong Kong, and he probably couldn't buy a date (seriously).

The bolded part: what the **** are you talking about?

bounce2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics