• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pastor
Anybody ever notice extreme difference in Shell colors? I bought a pair of Ravello Wingtip boots at the beginning of the year. I love the color and wanted a pair of LWB in Ravello as well. I finally found a good, almost new pair in my size on the B&S. When I got them there is a pretty significant difference in the colors. The LWB have almost zero red tones. I'm not saying that I don't like the LWB. I do like them and they seem to be a unique color, they just were not what I expected. Take a look at these pcitures below.
Shell colors do vary. If you look at ravello from a few years ago, it's lighter in color than the ravello that's on the market today. This is most noticeable, I've found, in rare shell colors, as they're the lighter colors. It's important to remember that shell is an animal product and subject to all kinds of variances. Horween's QC is great of course, but since cigar/ravello/whiskey (possibly add natural chromexcel to this as well) are done in relatively natural tannages, a given leather five years ago may look a few shades different than that same leather now. One amazing thing about shell boots is that you often get a very large continuous piece of shell along each side of the boot. I have a pair of ravello shortwing boots that I only condition -- do not polish -- and you can actually see the natural grain of the horse's hide. It's beautiful.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anybody ever notice extreme difference in Shell colors? I bought a pair of Ravello Wingtip boots at the beginning of the year. I love the color and wanted a pair of LWB in Ravello as well. I finally found a good, almost new pair in my size on the B&S. When I got them there is a pretty significant difference in the colors. The LWB have almost zero red tones. I'm not saying that I don't like the LWB. I do like them and they seem to be a unique color, they just were not what I expected. Take a look at these pcitures below.

Ravello varies a lot.

ravellos.jpg

Ravello and Whiskey.
ravwhisk1.jpg

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

those Ravello shortwing boots are the best Aldens I have seen since I started looking at Aldens.

enigma77

Reaction score
A related topic: a question was asked about "aging" shell by leaving it out in the sun a week or so ago. I was reminded of this yesterday when I was in the NYC Alden store. They had an Aberdeen captoe blucher in #8 (which I have -- great shoe, by the way) that had been sitting out on display for a while, and it looked almost artificially pink. The best "aging" comes through wearing! Nick Horween has written on this subject: http://horween.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/brownout/

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That reminds of an aged #8 shortwing at Brooks Brothers in downtown Seattle. That thing has been there for years and really looks like crap. I can't imagine that its mate is anything near the same color.

Pastor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
those Ravello shortwing boots are the best Aldens I have seen since I started looking at Aldens.

Thanks! I really like them myself. I Don't wear them nearly as much as should.

Pastor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Ravello varies a lot.

ravellos.jpg

Ravello and Whiskey.
ravwhisk1.jpg

Out in the sun those ravellos really have a lot of red color tones. I didn't take pics of my Ravello LWBs in the sun but mine seem to look even lighter in sunlight, not darker as your do.

afterglow

Reaction score
In my rotation I have #8 Chukkas, #8 LHS & Kudu Ultimate Indys along with tan suede AE Chukkas, navy Tricker's wingtips, tan wingtips, & black & burgundy AE captoes.

I'm looking to get a pair of either PTBs or longwings. What should I get considering I'm in chinos/jeans & a polo shirt 90% of the time? Cigar or ravello?

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of ravello, does anyone know of any Shortwing bluchers in revello that are available or "coming down the pipe" from any retailers? This to me is the elusive shoe of all shoes.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, unless you are one of LS' preferred customers who buy 6-8 pairs of Alden a year from them, I think you will be hard pressed to get in on the action for ravello, whiskey, or cigar.

Luckily, Steve at Leffot just goes by a first come, first serve, so a pair of ravello longwings is on its way to my house. Pretty excited.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
^ Tom did this twice at LS. Check with him, but overall I don't think so.

Yah i have been on him for a few months now but he says there are no plans to even order that shoe with Alden this year.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads