• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
I wouldn't be to fussed if my wife wore it once then sold some of the diamonds and had something made up with the rest.

I'd love my wife to wear it, I just don't want to buy it
lol8[1].gif

BarmyFunghyFipps

Reaction score
Yes once again its a "Im getting married soon" question however whilst Im aware of what I want to wear (Morning Dress) Im not sure where to find it. I live near Sydney and have visited Henry Bucks, but Id like to view a few more coats etc before I decide, or would I be better to buy online from Ede and Ravenscroft?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Zink & Sons on Oxford St. I know someone who got their wedding clothes made by them and they were very happy with them. At least talking with them doesn't cost anything.

elvish

Reaction score
MJ is across from the paddington markets.

Sydney feels like Europe to me today. The only difference for me is that when I lived in Geneve it snowed so I wore a few more layers

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BarmyFunghyFipps
Yes once again its a "Im getting married soon" question however whilst Im aware of what I want to wear (Morning Dress) Im not sure where to find it. I live near Sydney and have visited Henry Bucks, but Id like to view a few more coats etc before I decide, or would I be better to buy online from Ede and Ravenscroft?
You will only ever wear a morning coat once. Hire one. If you're in Sydney I can give you the name of a good hire place.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Did the MJ Bale sale on Ozsale just have the one suit or did they get pounded by the SF contingent? And why are they calling the one available grey pinstripe a PoW? What will I get if I buy it I wonder?
There were 4 suits and a jacket when I logged on this morning....

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Just after moving to Melbourne I was wearing an old pair of thongs around the city and got stuck in a shower. I was walking down an alley that had a slight incline and due to the completely gripless nature of the thongs I was forced to take them off and walk down bare foot. Due to the thongs it was not my finest sartorial moment by far, but I certainly didn't think I'd end up looking quite as foolish as I did.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Today Tonight needs to get on to this.

'Melbourne's pavement nightmare. Innocent, well-dressed gents are falling victim to a hidden menace...and it's right under our feet.'

"They (meister & fxh) tried to make me go to Topy, I said, "No, no, no"
Yes, I've been slack but when I slip on my back you'll know, know, know
I ain't got the time and my leather soles are fine
He's tried to make me go to Topy, I won't go, go, go

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would I be able to get some quick opinions on sleeve length?

I currently own a couple Brooks Brothers 16/34 extra slim fit shirts. I like the fit and am going to order a few more tonight.

The one thing I don't like is how much shirt sleeve shows under my jacket - I'd like more. Personally' I'd like almost a full inch. Currently it's only about 1/4" inch with arms fully extended and I sort of need to pull the sleeve down to get this.

I am not sure if the problem is:

(1) I need a longer shirt sleeve (35)

(2) My shirt sleeve is long enough, I need to shorten my suit jacket sleeve

(3) I need to move the cuff button in a bit so the cuffs are tighter.

The problem is amplified when I bend my arm up at the elbow i.e. as if I was reading the time. The sleeve ride up quite a lot and doesn't fall back so that it shows under the jacket when I put my arm down - I need to pull the shirt sleeve down to get it to show again.

I know some of this is a consequence of barrel cuffs as French Cuffs stay in place better, but I prefer barrel cuffs most of the time.

So - should I order 16/35 this time, shorten my jacket sleeve (because the sleeve length itself is fine as is), narrow the cuff or some combination of all three?

Thanks

Photos (sorry for poor quality, hope it's good enough)

http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb394/lachyzee/

lennier

Reaction score
Looks to me as if you need a longer sleeve from those pictures.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re sleeve: Looks like you could stand another inch on those sleeves esp if you like to show a fair bit.

If they are a bit longer you might want to shift/ tighten the button a bit to stop it hanging over your hand.

How many times have you washed the existing shirts - in other words have they done with the majority of their shrinkage?

Shooting the cuffs is a normal tic you develop if you like to show a bit - becomes automatic after a while.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
re sleeve: Looks like you could stand another inch on those sleeves esp if you like to show a fair bit.

If they are a bit longer you might want to shift/ tighten the button a bit to stop it hanging over your hand.

How many times have you washed the existing shirts - in other words have they done with the majority of their shrinkage?

Shooting the cuffs is a normal tic you develop if you like to show a bit - becomes automatic after a while.

Sorry, should have mentioned, they have been washed multiple times so no shrinkage left.

Thanks guys, think I will go with the 35 and probably narrow the cuffs a bit too.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Yeah it was awful today wasn't it. And I'm going camping near braidwood this weekend, brrrr...

I will be bringing out my cashmere lined nappa leather gloves tomorrow for their first wear at this stage.

Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads