• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

nohio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Hey guys. So I'm in love with Zegna shirts, but the sleeves always run long. I can push them up, the fabric swells around my arms, looking way too blousy. Could a tailor correct this problem by slimming the sleeves (similar to how slim jeans can be worn long, with minimal/controlled stacking)? Or would I have to get them shortened? (If there is such a thing).

Thanks.

From cheapest to more expensive in my experience:

1-Move the button on the cuff so it is tighter and doesn't let the sleeve come over the hand.
2-Slim the sleeve (easily done by a tailor)
3-Shorten the sleeve at the cuff without moving the placket (best done if you don't need to move it up very far)
4-Shorten the sleeve at the cuff and move the placket up (make sure you have a good tailor for this one)
5-Shorten the sleeve at the shoulder (not always possible depending on the fabric/print/etc.)

These can also be done in combination. I've found a very reasonably priced alterationist who has slimmed the sleeves and shortened them from the cuffs on a number of similar shirts. Once you figure out the formula, it works well.

poissa

Reaction score
imatlas,

Thanks.

ReversoLover

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a bag and I'm in love with the Filson Medium Field Bag - does anyone know any good alternatives? Also, how much is fair for a used one in good condition?

Thanks in advance

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
I like these Hampton Spectators by C&J, sold 'exclusively' by Ben Silver. But I don't like Ben Silver taking on $200 to the usual price, as they clock in at $730.
9792_R.jpg
Any alternatives that look like this?

Those look really nice in a dandy sort of way. The AE Strawfut is kind of like this but the white part is linen instead of leather.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Any idea where to get a spread collar shirt in lemon,pink big check that won't be so expensive?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm of fairly athletic build and i've been getting my dress shirts taken in at the waist. however, there's still some extra fabric left over when i tuck them in. Would it be better to get my shirts darted? What are the advantages of slimming over darting, or vice versa?

JayRocks

Reaction score
what are good shoe alternatives to the allen edmonds clifton? i saw these in nordstrom but was wondering if i would be able to get them cheaper at an AE outlet.

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
I bought a Banana Republic white linen sportcoat; it is almost fully lined though. Is that going to make it hot? I bought it for the summer only. Should I have all, some (except the shoulders), or none of the lining removed?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ReversoLover
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a bag and I'm in love with the Filson Medium Field Bag - does anyone know any good alternatives? Also, how much is fair for a used one in good condition?

Thanks in advance

I believe Filson offers a discount to SF members. Either way, for a bag that will last your lifetime, probably worth paying full price.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayRocks
what are good shoe alternatives to the allen edmonds clifton? i saw these in nordstrom but was wondering if i would be able to get them cheaper at an AE outlet.

AE Sanford is similar, but with broguing on the cap toe. Best bet would be to contact shoebank if you're interested in seconds.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
I bought a Banana Republic white linen sportcoat; it is almost fully lined though. Is that going to make it hot? I bought it for the summer only. Should I have all, some (except the shoulders), or none of the lining removed?
What is the lining made of? If it's cotton or light silk it might not be too bad. If it's a synthetic material then it will almost certainly be too hot. Your tailor will best be able to tell you how much can be removed before the structure falls apart.
Originally Posted by IsteRed
Any idea where to get a spread collar shirt in lemon,pink big check that won't be so expensive?
Define "so expensive."

IsteRed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Define "so expensive."
Under 100$ would be nice,this is the check i want,but in lemon and spread collar
a243bd14eba6.jpg

coco2010

Reaction score
how's the fit on the Ferre' suits? do they run super slim? there's one Im currently checking out on yoox. its on final sale, in size 40/50IT.

poissa

Reaction score
so I had an 'accident' at lunch where I managed to get mustard all over my shirt and wool pants. Will the cleaners be able to remove said stains
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads