• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Budget modern platform bed that's not Ikea?

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a deal on a new Sleep Number mattress, want to get a new bed to go with it. The Ikea Mandal is a top contender, but I'm worried that Ikea beds will go to hell with routine vigorous activity. The CB2 Alpine Gunmetal Bed is another option I like, but I'd have to get it shipped so it comes out almost $800 with tax and shipping. I'm not sure it's worth it and I could see the metal connections (which connect with bolts) being a problem.

Any recommendations on a sturdy platform bed in some kind of light wood?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
routine vigorous activity.
lol8[1].gif

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the Ikea Malm and it has seen plenty of vigorous activity, no problems whatsoever. Not a single scuff or indent on the headboard even

Andrewc2232

Reaction score
I bought an Ikea malm a couple years ago for my first apartment. Ikea actually sent me two beds on accident and let me keep the second.

Overall it has held up well. However, the main members of the bed are not especially rugged and are actually pretty easily scuffed or chipped. Also, the side tables in the malm set that attach to the bed never quite fit properly. For the price, though, I've been very happy with the purchase. I'll be using the bed for a couple more years to come most likely. For a few hundred bucks, definitely a good purchase.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I never owned an Ikea bed myself, but one of my ex girlfriends did. Thing made a ton of noise when I stayed at her place and she was always complaining about it's quality. One time it broke on us and we had to fix it. Between that and my observations from other friends who have owned Ikea items, I'm not much of a fan.

How much do you want to spend on the bed? West Elm has some reasonably priced platform beds and a few sales going on. The quality should be much better then Ikea.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
picked up a Modernica Fastback at their annual sale (Oct/Nov) for a good deal. it's a great looking bed and super comfortable to sleep on (have an Ikea mattress).

http://modernica.net/bedroom/

-Jeff

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
West Elm has a couple of good options, but I prefer lighter woods to darker.

I'm hearing good things about the Mandal plus one of the better Ikea slat systems. Hoping to run out there tomorrow and check it out in person.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
picked up a Modernica Fastback at their annual sale (Oct/Nov) for a good deal. it's a great looking bed and super comfortable to sleep on (have an Ikea mattress). http://modernica.net/bedroom/ -Jeff
See this is one of the problems with SF, sometimes. He asks about a budget platform bed and mentions he is considering something from Ikea. He then gets a recontamination for a $1500 bed.
confused.gif
I know you said you got it on sale for a good deal, but these are obviously two completely different price ranges. EDIT: Having said all that, thanks for the link. I like a couple of those and will keep my eye out for when a sale hits.
laugh.gif

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
West Elm has a couple of good options, but I prefer lighter woods to darker.

I'm hearing good things about the Mandal plus one of the better Ikea slat systems. Hoping to run out there tomorrow and check it out in person.

I could be wrong, but I thought West Elm had some lighter color options too.

There are some random, inexpensive, platform beds you can find by doing a Google search on the subject. Can't tell you how quality they are, but it might be worth a look. If you have Amazon Prime search there too since you could score free two day shipping and free returns.

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you OP. Have you looked at the Modus Furniture options? WalMart carries them (yeah yeah...) even though they are currently out of stock. A huge positive over IKEA is the Modus beds are supposedly made from actual wood instead of the particleboard/veneer that IKEA beds are made from. They are also only about $300 to $500; not significantly more than IKEA.

If I could find an unassembled old stock, birch IKEA Anes bed though, I would be all over it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WorkingOnIt
I'm in the same boat as you OP. Have you looked at the Modus Furniture options? WalMart carries them (yeah yeah...) even though they are currently out of stock. A huge positive over IKEA is the Modus beds are supposedly made from actual wood instead of the particleboard/veneer that IKEA beds are made from. They are also only about $300 to $500; not significantly more than IKEA. If I could find an unassembled old stock, birch IKEA Anes bed though, I would be all over it.
Thanks for the tip. I was going to mention checking out Target too. I have a media stand and desk that I bought from them recently and couldn't be happier. The assembly process was a breeze and they feel very well made for what I paid.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am about the least DIY guy in the world - until I got married I always slept on a platform bed that I made myself, and my kids did too until recently. basically, you go to home depot and you buy some boards, and some cinder blocks, and some little wooden blocks. you use the little wooden blocks to hold together the boards, nailing them together, then rest the whole thing on the blocks. less than 100 bucks.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am about the least DIY guy in the world - until I got married I always slept on a platform bed that I made myself, and my kids did too until recently. basically, you go to home depot and you buy some boards, and some cinder blocks, and some little wooden blocks. you use the little wooden blocks to hold together the boards, nailing them together, then rest the whole thing on the blocks. less than 100 bucks.

I would be curious on how that looked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics