• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

aKula

Reaction score
So cold today I ordered 17oz flannel (H&S) pants from a local tailor. Hopefully they'll be ready before spring. Any shops to recommend in Melbourne for overcoats? Thinking I'll just get that tailor made as well. Having things made seems to me the most attractive option, despite the high price. It's good that there are still tailors around in Melbourne who can make clothes rather than just do alterations.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Was that way last Saturday. It's a small store, but it has some nice items. On a Westfield Pitt St related note...the Linney's jewelry store had a $2 million pink diamond tiara on display in their window. What a waste of money that would be.

We're blessed with a healthy amount of tailors in both Melbourne and Sydney, aKula. Best of luck to you.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aKula
So cold today I ordered 17oz flannel (H&S) pants from a local tailor. Hopefully they'll be ready before spring.

Yes and there saying on the news that the cold at this low level Canberra hit a high of 8c today, is going to stay at this low for at least a week. Time to break out the moleskins and I have to stand on the sidelines watching my son play rugby on Saturday and then go off and see see the Canberra Comics
(Brumbies) on Saturday night.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Non-Clothing question: I'm trying to send some beer to a friend in Australia. I understand the high cost of it, but I think it'd be worth it as a birthday gift. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in this? How to ship it (I was thinking of marking it as Pop or something), and the costs associated with it?

Also: If Alexander Keiths IS available in Australia (which is the beer I want to ship), can someone tell me where? I have been unable to find anywhere over the net.

Thanks for the help!

I haven't seen Alexander Keiths ale in Australia, but I have seen a few other Canadian beers.

You could try having a look here: Beer Store

And here: International Beer Shop

I don't think that either of them stock AK, but they do have some other Canadian brands.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
^^ Was that way last Saturday. It's a small store, but it has some nice items. On a Westfield Pitt St related note...the Linney's jewelry store had a $2 million pink diamond tiara on display in their window. What a waste of money that would be. We're blessed with a healthy amount of tailors in both Melbourne and Sydney, aKula. Best of luck to you.
I wouldn't be to fussed if my wife wore it once then sold some of the diamonds and had something made up with the rest.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Yes and there saying on the news that the cold at this low level Canberra hit a high of 8c today, is going to stay at this low for at least a week. Time to break out the moleskins and I have to stand on the sidelines watching my son play rugby on Saturday and then go off and see see the Canberra Comics
(Brumbies) on Saturday night.

Yeah it was awful today wasn't it. And I'm going camping near braidwood this weekend, brrrr...

I will be bringing out my cashmere lined nappa leather gloves tomorrow for their first wear at this stage.

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Yeah it was awful today wasn't it. And I'm going camping near braidwood this weekend, brrrr...

I will be bringing out my cashmere lined nappa leather gloves tomorrow for their first wear at this stage.

You Australians are so cute when it cools down a little bit. I'm guessing the temperature went under 10?
wink.gif

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Non-Clothing question: I'm trying to send some beer to a friend in Australia. I understand the high cost of it, but I think it'd be worth it as a birthday gift. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in this? How to ship it (I was thinking of marking it as Pop or something), and the costs associated with it?

Also: If Alexander Keiths IS available in Australia (which is the beer I want to ship), can someone tell me where? I have been unable to find anywhere over the net.

Thanks for the help!

Another place you could try is http://www.purviscellars.com.au they have a huge range of beers and we used to use them in our office beer club.

youngnstupid

Reaction score
Just to let you guys know that there is a pair of Allen Edmond brown loafers in C's Flashback in Newtown for 45 bucks - around size 9 - im a size 9.5 and my foot fit but it was pretty tight - it seems alright condition - also theres a pair of black wingtip Lloyd made in germany shoes in there too - i dont remember size but its 60 bucks

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axel Ferguson
You Australians are so cute when it cools down a little bit. I'm guessing the temperature went under 10?
wink.gif

Maybe you should look up the temps in Canberra first? No it's not Europe, but it is very cold here, -3 to a top of 9 yesterday (and it's still a month away from winter)

Gassyndrome

Reaction score
Maybe you should look up the temps in Canberra first? No it's not Europe, but it is very cold here, -3 to a top of 9 yesterday (and it's still a month away from winter)

A beautiful and calm morning as the sun came up when I took the pooches for a walk this morning. The frigid wind seems to be picking up right now though....

frown.gif

bhall41

Reaction score

Australian homes (including ours in Melbourne) are usually not very well heated or insulated whereas homes in Europe invariably are. What I find this means is that cold conditions in Australia are often harder to bear than the equivalent temperature in Europe, even though the temperature here does not ultimately dip as low.

__PG__

Reaction score
MJ Bale are having a sale on Ozale.com.au

Suits for about $600, jackets for $200-$300. Shirts are $55, as are ties.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
Australian homes (including ours in Melbourne) are usually not very well heated or insulated whereas homes in Europe invariably are. What I find this means is that cold conditions in Australia are often harder to bear than the equivalent temperature in Europe, even though the temperature here does not ultimately dip as low.

This.

I had a Canadian friend who said the coldest winter he experienced was in a house in Northcote. Said it was the only time he saw his own breath indoors!

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
What the hell kind of stone did they choose for Melbournes footpaths? I nearly killed myself walking from the tram to the office this morning. I think these shoes might be a candidate for topying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads