• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asian American Overachievers when test taking endsing ends.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
They do. My friend's brother is gay and has all kinds of horror stories of hope and anticipation turned disappointment at something resembling the girth of a straw. :/
I can say with some authority, based on my experience, that Asian guys generally have small penises. Even the large ones are small. Generally. I don't think that has much to do with why they aren't climbing the corporate ladder at the same rate as others
biggrin.gif

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think Asians are not at the top of the corporate ladder because the abilities they posess limit them to positions where they are most needed. They are highly analytical people, good at facts and computing, however in my experience here at my company, don't posess many of the social qualities of a leader. They tend to get into positions where they are really good at analysis and managers don't promote them because they don't want to lose that asset. Being an executive takes a lot of personality and a person who knows how to work corporate politics. I'm not saying Asians are not capable, but I can easily name 20 Asians in my company that fall into the category that I have stated.

I completely agree with this^.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brings to mind the vignette from "The Happy Hooker," where the Japanese businessman came equipped with a prosthetic average-sized dong that squirted lukewarm water. He inserted his own unit in the other end.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Asians are not at the top of the corporate ladder because the abilities they posess limit them to positions where they are most needed. They are highly analytical people, good at facts and computing, however in my experience here at my company, don't posess many of the social qualities of a leader. They tend to get into positions where they are really good at analysis and managers don't promote them because they don't want to lose that asset. Being an executive takes a lot of personality and a person who knows how to work corporate politics. I'm not saying Asians are not capable, but I can easily name 20 Asians in my company that fall into the category that I have stated.
I co-sign this. One of my best friends fits into this category. Incredible guy but really doesn't have the personality to lead. His brothers and friends have the same issue and they always talk about how they can't seem to get promoted. He thinks it has something to do with living in Los Angeles. A number of my Asian friends have low self-esteem and that is a contributing factor

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think that the observation is correct, and that the analysis, incorrect. The fact is that worker bees always outnumber queen bees (lol). This is true in any culture. However, it would seem to any casual observer that there is a "bamboo ceiling" because of the disproportionate number of Asian worker bees in positions that could potentially lead to managerial and executive positions.

This is not to say that there are not negative stereotypes of Asians and Asian Americans that work against them in climbing the corporate ladder.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
Brings to mind the vignette from "The Happy Hooker," where the Japanese businessman came equipped with a prosthetic average-sized dong that squirted lukewarm water. He inserted his own unit in the other end.

You must be my age. That book came out when I was a kid. Remember the mafia blowjobs?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
I co-sign this.

One of my best friends fits into this category. Incredible guy but really doesn't have the personality to lead. His brothers and friends have the same issue and they always talk about how they can't seem to get promoted. He thinks it has something to do with living in Los Angeles. A number of my Asian friends have low self-esteem and that is a contributing factor

I'd also like to point out that the white people who tend to be promoted or otherwise end up in leadership positions tend to come from affluent households. Leadership qualities are taught and learned. Of course, there are exceptions. My brother leads a clinic of 12 doctors. I have a more entrepeneurial bent. One of my other brothers is probably going to be tracked into academic administration. Only one of us are exceptionally intelligent. However, we also came from a family where achievement and leadership was already several generations deep. It's much harder to figure out social mores when you are the first generation of college graduate. This goes for *anyone*. I've seen first generation African American, white, latino, and Asian college graduates all struggle, despite significant academic achievement.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I'd also like to point out that the white people who tend to be promoted or otherwise end up in leadership positions tend to come from affluent households. Leadership qualities are taught and learned. Of course, there are exceptions. My brother leads a clinic of 12 doctors. I have a more entrepeneurial bent. One of my other brothers is probably going to be tracked into academic administration. Only one of us are exceptionally intelligent. However, we also came from a family where achievement and leadership was already several generations deep. It's much harder to figure out social mores when you are the first generation of college graduate. This goes for *anyone*. I've seen first generation African American, white, latino, and Asian college graduates all struggle, despite significant academic achievement.
I'm in the minority population and work for myself but yes it does help when you have multiple examples to follow. Many people are just happy to have an education and a 'good' job which already puts them ahead of the rest of the family.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Already is thread on this.

Also, if there are no Azn leaders, who is running China?
confused.gif

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

confused.gif

Maybe they outsource

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

confused.gif

Must be a secret society of white people ruling China.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Has anyone stopped to think that traits that lead to leadership positions and correlating attitudes may not be the same in various cultures? These things don't disappear simply because someone is third generation, as shocking as it sounds. This is in addition to:

1) leaders are merely older than the current crop of uber-educated azns
2) Same promotes same, and they all rook same but they certainly not look the same as us white knights. Women are running into the same kind of problem and it is partly for that reason (the devaluing of qualities associated with women is another reason).
3) established network (that came before you were born) is super important

I am not taking a value judgment on the quality of leaders in the corporate world, don't even make me go there...

forStyle

Reaction score

confused.gif

+1. Most of the Asian parents I know came as graduate students or went into research positions. They are a studious middle class group. Many were farmers' children who excelled academically and went to elite universities.

The Old Wealth and power stayed in China.

ie
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=186323

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

I don't know if I completely agree with this. While I do agree that growing up in a family of leaders makes it easier, however I think some of that is in our genetics and is more nature vs. nuture. My father and his 3 brothers are first generation Americans and they all are very successful and none of them did amazing academically. My one uncle teacher told him to go to a trade school and learn HVAC or something. He told them to **** off and he ended up being a dentist, captain in the navy, and now has his own dental practice. They all have a similar type A way about them too.

I really do think it is about having more than book smarts. They knew how to manage themselves and other people around them. So, I really don't think academics has anything to do with it, it is knowing the game and playing it in your own favor. I see it all the time at my company, these genius Asians working away, getting the boss answers as quickly and as meticulously as possible and they always complain there is no way to get ahead. Meanwhile they are always the ones sitting there waiting to be told to do things rather than making decisions on what should be done. It is like they are calculators who are there when you need them but ultimately need to be programed to do what you want.

These guys went to college and graduated like everybody else and learned the same material. Nobody in college teaches anybody how to play the corporate game, or act in your own favor and get ahead. They probably should, but the fact of the matter is that most of the learning that you do is when you are thrown to the wolves. Some people get the social aspect of it and some people don't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads