• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie Help: Senstive and Wide Feet...Wants AE Strand

newbie123

Reaction score
Not only do I have wide feet but they're also sensitive. I usually wear about half or one full size bigger for regular shoes and about 1.5x bigger when it come to my running shoes (I know, it's horrible). Another reason is that I wear thicker socks during the winter. I will be attending a wedding within the next few weeks and would like to buy AE Strand in black (my budget is only about $300-$400 as I'm a fashion newbie and would like to start slow). http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552 I would like to ask a few questions before I hit the actual stores: (a) Can I pull this shoe-style despite my foot liabilities (wide and sensitive)? If I cannot, can anybody make any suggestion (around ~$300-$400 range) (b) This may be a stupid question but when I hit the stores, should I wear thick socks or thin socks for the fitting? I will be using these shoes as formal wear even during the winter. I appreciate any responses and please excuse me if my questions are kind of stupid
frown.gif
- newbie123 ----------- Edit: I realized that I should've posted this thread in the "Men's Clothing" section. Mods, can you please transfer this thread. Thanks.

joz411no

Reaction score
I own the Strand in an 11.5EEE. How wide the shoe needs to be will be based on how wide your foot is. I have a pretty wide foot and the Strand fits me okay. Keep in mind just because a shoe comes in your length and width, it doesn't mean it will look great on your foot. The particular last the Strand is made on is not AE's roomiest or widest. In fact I think they call that last one of their narrowest. Sorry, I don't recall which is the broadest, though. As for socks to wear to try them on, if I were you I'd go with a moderate. If they are relatively comfortable with moderate-thickness socks you should be fine. When you wear thin socks that extra width should compliment your wide, sensitve feet. Word of advice, if they don't feel right don't buy them.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF does "Sensitive" feet mean?

Just go and try them on. Wear the type of socks you plan to wear with these shoes.

newbie123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain

Just go and try them on. Wear the type of socks you plan to wear with these shoes.

By "sensitive", I meant that my feet hurt when the shoe is a "perfect" fit (not too tight, not too loose). Therefore, I wear about 0.5 to 1.5x bigger than my normal size. And this occurs not just in dress shoes but also in sneakers and running shoes.

I plan to wear these shoes in formal occassions, which means it could be in the summer or winter and the socks obviously differ when seasons change.

Hollywars

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain

This. Make sure you try them on, I'm usually a 13 wide, and I was like a 12 E in the Wilbert.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newbie123
By "sensitive", I meant that my feet hurt when the shoe is a "perfect" fit (not too tight, not too loose). Therefore, I wear about 0.5 to 1.5x bigger than my normal size. And this occurs not just in dress shoes but also in sneakers and running shoes.

I plan to wear these shoes in formal occassions, which means it could be in the summer or winter and the socks obviously differ when seasons change.

what you consider "perfect" sounds like too small to me.

there is no need to wear different socks with conservative business clothing depending on the season. If you still insist on, then damn, just choose what preference you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads