• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Security what?
1105100961.jpg

LOVE this photo; hilarious. You look as if you're in charge of their army.
biggrin.gif
(good clothes, btw, as almost always)

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Orleans conservative business dress.

Mike

OxfordPolo1.JPG

OxfordPolo2.JPG

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tuesday:

20110510_detail.jpg

I suspect some won't consider Chelsea boots to be truly conservative business dress, but with a slim suit I think they work okay:

20110510_shoes.jpg

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
OxfordPolo1.JPG

I think that you sometimes want a suit or coat to work that just doesn't fit you properly, and this is an example of that. This coat looks quite long, particularly with how low the pockets are. I think you would be better served by paring down your collection and focusing on items that don't require extensive alterations or that flatter your build. It seems that you may prefer quantity and variety over fit. That's fine, but I think it results in a number of outfits that are just a bit off. When you wear some of your coats that fit you well, it looks noticeably better. It's a trap that many on this forum, including myself, have fallen into. I think someone like Trini is a great example of how to get out of that trap. He had a bunch of decent outfits, but they often had some noticeable flaw. He pared down and started focusing more on getting things that fit, and the results show. Yes, he has less to choose from now, but they just look better. (I'm not talking about his diavolo-esque shift to very basic colors and patterns. I mean the actual fit of his clothes.)

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I think that you sometimes want a suit or coat to work that just doesn't fit you properly, and this is an example of that. This coat looks quite long, particularly with how low the pockets are. I think you would be better served by paring down your collection and focusing on items that don't require extensive alterations or that flatter your build.

I have not worn this in a year. It is a suit I wear a few times a year, at most. I wanted to get some good pictures of it because I had pretty much retired it due to the length of the coat. After seeing the pictures, I am actually fine with it. For the amount of use it gets, I am not concerned. I wish it were an inch shorter, but the patch pockets prevent any length alteration and I guess Ralph Lauren thinks anyone who is a 42 should be at least 6 feet tall. C'est La Vie.

It seems that you may prefer quantity and variety over fit. That's fine, but I think it results in a number of outfits that are just a bit off. When you wear some of your coats that fit you well, it looks noticeably better.
You are missing the mark here. While I used to have quite an extensive collection of various items, I have sold off more than half of my collection of suits and SCs and have carved it down to items that, for the most part, work. There are some iffy things still in the closets that see use, but most of it is gone and I have focused on items that I like the fit of. Does everything fit perfectly? No. Do I care? No. These are functional pieces of my life. I wear these clothes day in an day out. Sometimes, you have to compromise. And, for the record, of all the suits I own and wear, this suit has received the most compliments in the real world. Outside of our isolated little sartorial world, real people don't see this fit and think "wow, if it were only an inch shorter in length it would flatter his 'build' so much better." No, they just see the color and the basic style and fit and that registers. I often chuckle at how different the real world is compared to our online world.

It's a trap that many on this forum, including myself, have fallen into. I think someone like Trini is a great example of how to get out of that trap. He had a bunch of decent outfits, but they often had some noticeable flaw. He pared down and started focusing more on getting things that fit, and the results show. Yes, he has less to choose from now, but they just look better. (I'm not talking about his diavolo-esque shift to very basic colors and patterns. I mean the actual fit of his clothes.)
I used to fall into that trap. I have moved away from it.

Also, I think I prefer the old Trini, to be honest. I enjoyed his eclectic collection of SCs and his individuality.

And, that is precisely why I chose this suit today. Because going through my closet, I just didn't want to wear one of the same suits or SCs that I wear over and over again (keep in mind that I don't post in this thread that often, so if you are not looking at the regular WAYWRN, you are not seeing how often I repeat). So, I went to the reserve closet and pulled this out, much like I pulled out yesterday's suit.

Mike

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PG - great photos (higher class security guard look too)

Mike - I like the way this has a strong regional flavour, yes it's a tad long but horribly so

Orge - You made the right decision on the PS. Looks good.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
warm and sunny:

20110511_main.jpg

The stripe weave in the tie isn't as obvious from straight on - it looks pretty much solid from 4-5ft
PS probably isn't optimal - any suggestions (obviously not white)?

20110511_detail.jpg

Must be brown monks day
wink.gif

20110511_shoes.jpg

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
+ a bazillion

Except we come here for the very purpose of discussing the minutiae of clothing, which is why I chuckle when people chuckle about how detached from the real world this forum is. Of course we are detached from the real world. That's sort of the whole point of the forum.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido

Security what?
1105100961.jpg

ain't no big deal but i'm the boss around this motherfucker.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Except we come here for the very purpose of discussing the minutiae of clothing, which is why I chuckle when people chuckle about how detached from the real world this forum is. Of course we are detached from the real world. That's sort of the whole point of the forum.

Yes and no. I don't exist in a vacuum. I have to wear these clothes, not just put them on and post pictures for critique and dissection. Also, quite often something that is praised here is looked at with a strange eye "out there."

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads