• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I do not like Harleys.
ffffuuuu.gif

^ This.

So, this is different from the Night Train in what way?

This bike was designed by an advertising firm: swap out a few bolt-on accessories, come up with a swanky new name, sell to people who wear Sons of Anarchy sweatshirts in public.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I do not like Harleys.
ffffuuuu.gif

Is there a specific reason you don't like them, or just because you don't happen to ride one? No snark, just curious. What do you ride?

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KnowYourRights
So, this is different from the Night Train in what way?
Chrome pipes and cutoff "Deuce" rear fender. But yeah, I don't like it, either. Bring back the FXDX and XL1200R and XL1200S! Real honest bikes.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Is there a specific reason you don't like them, or just because you don't happen to ride one? No snark, just curious. What do you ride?

My current ride (and the only bike I've ever owned) is a 1989 K100RS SE like the one in the photo below (that's not my bike, but it is identical)

L1160547.jpg

I don't like Harleys first because I don't think they are very good bikes. Second, the biking subcultures up here that ride them tend toward criminals, "wannabes", and/or rich pricks. Most won't acknowledge non-Harley riders on the road, to which I give them the
ffffuuuu.gif

From your posts here and elsewhere you do not fit the local Harley profile at all -- I have to imagine that they are perceived differently elsewhere.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Gnatty, I'm not a Harley fan either. I'm not that big of a fan of that style of bike in general but Harley in particular. I've driven a few (friends) and my general impression has always been overweight, overpriced, and under powered. It's been a decade so this might well have changed. The thing is though, most of us are going to pick a bike on the non-tangibles. If Harley appeals to you, ride it with pride and happiness, I say. If I could talk the wife into multiple bikes, I might put a Harley in the stable. When I'm only going to be able to get away with one though I'm going to pick something that is versatile, low maint., comfy and adequately powered and agile. That would be why I'm probably headed towards an SUV of a motorcycle, like an FJR or Concourse.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Took me 11-12 hours. I'm sure I didn't follow the shortest route though. The fact that I rode in t-shirt and shorts didn't help, I'm sure.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...43&ie=UTF8&z=9

Also I had no license.

This screams insanity. Is there a culture of irresponsible motorcycle behaviour in India? I've never been but videos like this guy don't support a responsible riding culture.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
This screams insanity. Is there a culture of irresponsible motorcycle behaviour in India? I've never been but videos like this guy don't support a responsible riding culture.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

While the guy is
facepalm.gif
...I would have to say that what was even more striking was the other drivers. If you were part of a responsible riding culture...you would stay the **** off any road with drivers like that.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I rented the Enfield Bullet for 12 days and have driven it for about 9 (I can't recall) and I've not been on an as wide nor on as busy road. They were mostly 2 lane roads (one to, one fro). The first day and a half was the scariest. I was still driving pretty slow (speedometer was broken, so I haven't an inkling how fast I was going). I was overtaken a couple of times by a bus while on the other side of the road a lorry was overtaken by another bus (or similar) on a road that only really could support two vehicles. Ending in one of the monsoon ditches hadn't been a dream of mine. Then I decided I needed to ride faster than anyone else there, which I'm sure wasn't that fast. Overtaking other vehicles at a time of my choosing was far safer then being overtaken. It's only years later while getting my license I found out that I hadn't been a very good driver at the time. Actually at the time my biggest fear was getting busted by a cop, without a license. I'd been told this would only cost me between 50-100 roepies (then 2-4 dollar), but you never know untill it happens. I was stopped a few times, quickly asked for directions and got on my merry way. Anyway, riding on a motorcycle got me in small villages in which I was the first white man, or so it seemed at the time. I was out of the main tourist roads, sleeping in hotels without a white presence. Driving in my shorts was almost a necessity, it was that hot; or I didn't think to bring anything else. I didn't think it was wise, but man(!) I felt cool. In short; that holiday and especially that road trip was one of the best times of my life.
smile.gif
To answer your question: no the drivers I've seen were pretty responsible. Only the rules are different there. It goes: Big lorry > lorry > bus > big car > car > motorcycle > moped > bicycle > pedestrian > small child.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I don't like Harleys first because I don't think they are very good bikes. Second, the biking subcultures up here that ride them tend toward criminals, "wannabes", and/or rich pricks. Most won't acknowledge non-Harley riders on the road, to which I give them the
ffffuuuu.gif

From your posts here and elsewhere you do not fit the local Harley profile at all -- I have to imagine that they are perceived differently elsewhere.

Well, I think each style of bike has their own negative stereotype that goes with it, so I don't really avoid riding a particular bike simply because I don't want to be stereotyped. I just don't think that's a valid reason. Second, I am not sure what you mean by "not very good bikes". While I am sure there are better bikes out there, I am curious upon what you are basing this observation, since I know HD did go through a period in the late 70s and early 1980s where quality was awful, but I am not sure this is a valid critique nowadays.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Gnatty, I'm not a Harley fan either. I'm not that big of a fan of that style of bike in general but Harley in particular. I've driven a few (friends) and my general impression has always been overweight, overpriced, and under powered. It's been a decade so this might well have changed. The thing is though, most of us are going to pick a bike on the non-tangibles. If Harley appeals to you, ride it with pride and happiness, I say. If I could talk the wife into multiple bikes, I might put a Harley in the stable. When I'm only going to be able to get away with one though I'm going to pick something that is versatile, low maint., comfy and adequately powered and agile. That would be why I'm probably headed towards an SUV of a motorcycle, like an FJR or Concourse.

I think it depends on what you ride. I can't stand the massive Road Kings and that other overstuffed HD **** for the same reason I don't like touring bikes like eg's above. I like a motorcycle that's simple, no saddlebags, and definitely no ******* trunks! While I am always a little surprised they are able to pull in the premium prices they command, I would not call any of the HDs I ride underpowered. I think it really depends on what you look for in a bike, and most of all, having the benefit of riding different makes/models to pick what fits you and your riding style best.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I think each style of bike has their own negative stereotype that goes with it, so I don't really avoid riding a particular bike simply because I don't want to be stereotyped. I just don't think that's a valid reason. Second, I am not sure what you mean by "not very good bikes". While I am sure there are better bikes out there, I am curious upon what you are basing this observation, since I know HD did go through a period in the late 70s and early 1980s where quality was awful, but I am not sure this is a valid critique nowadays.

Yes, the different riding tribes all have their own foibles, no doubt about that. I bought my bike in 1990, and HD did not have a good mechanical reputation (at least around here) at that time. I have ridden one that a friend owns, and the best way I can describe the experience is that it was "crude". Years and years and many kilometers on my bike make getting on a cruiser a weird experience.

I think it depends on what you ride. I can't stand the massive Road Kings and that other overstuffed HD **** for the same reason I don't like touring bikes like eg's above. I like a motorcycle that's simple, no saddlebags, and definitely no ******* trunks! While I am always a little surprised they are able to pull in the premium prices they command, I would not call any of the HDs I ride underpowered. I think it really depends on what you look for in a bike, and most of all, having the benefit of riding different makes/models to pick what fits you and your riding style best.

Ahem -- the RS is a sport-tourer. The touring bike is the LT.
teacha.gif

What I like is a bike that I can speed on for long distances. I am a scoff-law ...
blush.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Completely agree with this. Let's face it, for us, these things are 100% luxury items. We certainly do not need them as a form of transportation they are strictly for enjoyment.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
We certainly do not need them as a form of transportation they are strictly for enjoyment.

I commute on my bikes! And they're older than I am.
smile.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Yes, the different riding tribes all have their own foibles, no doubt about that. I bought my bike in 1990, and HD did not have a good mechanical reputation (at least around here) at that time. I have ridden one that a friend owns, and the best way I can describe the experience is that it was "crude". Years and years and many kilometers on my bike make getting on a cruiser a weird experience.

I am not terribly surprised. There's a big difference when I spend a day on my Bonnie and the next day on my Forty Eight for example. There are some things I like better about the Bonnie, others I do not..

Originally Posted by eg1
Ahem -- the RS is a sport-tourer. The touring bike is the LT.
teacha.gif

blush.gif

Completely agree with this. Let's face it, for us, these things are 100% luxury items. We certainly do not need them as a form of transportation they are strictly for enjoyment.

Amen brother..

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I seem to have 0 bike pics from my recent Turkey trip, will check with my companion. Older:
P1000657.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads