• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...I like the jacket, I like the pants but I'm not a fan of the light grey with the earth tone jacket myself. I don't think it is a good choice at all. There are far better pairings such as khaki or tans especially heather tan colors that bring out the colors in both. Levis would look better to me.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
M, I'm in Naples again next weekend and should be picking up my next set of pents from Salvatore. If you like, I can take your commissions with me. Keep in mind that I'm not back in SF until early June, just let me know.
E, you're a prince. Please do ask. If only to see what he says.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Hmmm...I like the jacket, I like the pants but I'm not a fan of the light grey with the earth tone jacket myself. I don't think it is a good choice at all. There are far better pairings such as khaki or tans especially heather tan colors that bring out the colors in both. Levis would look better to me.

I think the opposite is true - I like cool tones paired with warm tones. The contrast is complimentary to both.

OTOH, is Foo wearing a toupee?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
I would expect "wankers with non-jobs" to follow TV show fashion trends. Personally I see a lot more yuppies trying to emulate mafoofan from Styleforum than don draper from mad men (seriously).
I don't see any reason to believe wankers with high paying office jobs would be less influenced by tv shows trends than wankers with (possibly high paying) tweeting gigs.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
I have no problem with pleats in principle, but in practice I have an inseparable mental association between pleats and frumpy Jos A Banks, Brooks Brothers, Oxxford, etc. old man trousers. Especially on odd trousers, they look pure midwest business casual to me. I guess I've been brainwashed by the GQ/esquire flat front movement over the past decade. Seems like most people in their 20s have too, since I can't remember the last time I saw anyone (who made an effort to dress well) wear pleats.

i had been too.

the same type of brainwashing as
"no break, no cuffs makes you look taller"

I actually don't have any pleated trousers, but my next pair definitely will be. They just look so comfortable and nice.

I guess we all have to get past the false associations we have with certain things.

Originally Posted by zbromer
Well, if you quote me, but cut out the part where I say that I would wear a sweatshirt (not a sweater) with cords, moleskins, and other non-jeans, then your statement makes some sense. What I, and others, actually said is far different, though.

Ah sorry, i was a little quick to jump there.

Maybe if it were a navy or charcoal or black worsted fabric, i'd be inclined to agree. But a light gray flannel seems to me to be almost on the spectrum of tweed or linen.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

No light gray with earth tones? Its hard to think of a better combination for business casual wear...

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
M, I'm in Naples again next weekend and should be picking up my next set of pents from Salvatore. If you like, I can take your commissions with me. Keep in mind that I'm not back in SF until early June, just let me know.

Come to Nabilah club, we'll have a table for my bday
smile.gif

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I've seen my grandfather wear dress trousers (including flannels) with sweatshirts / long sleeve t's but he is 89 years old and occassionally ***** his drawers.

This reminds me of an night after a party on the frathouse, someone confused my walk in closet with the lavatory (only pissing in the silk drawer, though I am not sure if that was not myself).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I don't see any reason to believe wankers with high paying office jobs would be less influenced by tv shows trends than wankers with (possibly high paying) tweeting gigs.

Gee, what are we supposed to do? Go to work naked? Just committ suicide?

You can really be a douche sometimes. Much douchier than the average joe who puts on a tie and wears a pocket square and is somehow to be considered a douche for that alone.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

You can really be a douche sometimes. Much douchier than the average joe who puts on a tie and wears a pocket square and is somehow to be considered a douche for that alone.

...that's completely the opposite of what he was trying to say.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great look m-fan except for those damn shoes!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
...that's completely the opposite of what he was trying to say.

Let's follow the chain:

1) everyone who wears a pocket square wears costume.

2) They are all copying mad men.

3) People who dress up for a job every day are all wankers.

Add that to his recent Ward Churchill-esque comments about the middle class in the CE.

Well, gee, sorry, I have to make a living and my job requires a suit as do the jobs of millions of people. I see hundreds of pocket squares every day but little did I know they are all little Eichmans playing Mad Men. Little did they know either!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burton
From one caricature to the next . . . Madame Tussaud would be quite proud.

+1

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
051011m.jpg

Something not quite right about the photo. I would have sworn that it'd been photoshopped somehow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics