• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
The office moves to business casual during the summer and I need a light tan pair of loafers to wear with khakis or light colored dress pants. I was thinking a nice pair of whiskey loafers like the ones below. Do the whiskey loafers darken with age? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachment 64636

I think ravello is better for your usage. I never quit figured out if whiskey is too close in color to tan/khaki, but ravello is definitely fine I think

unclesam099

Reaction score
What is the best way to care for natural Chromexcel? Should I use the Alden neutral shoe cream or am I better off with some sort of conditioner? Any recommendations?

Also, what's the difference between the shoe cream and the wax? I am getting some Alden wax for the black and #8 shell shoes that I have, and I know not to use the cream on shell. But I guess the cream would be for leather shoes?

Thanks.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unclesam099
What is the best way to care for natural Chromexcel? Should I use the Alden neutral shoe cream or am I better off with some sort of conditioner? Any recommendations?

Also, what's the difference between the shoe cream and the wax? I am getting some Alden wax for the black and #8 shell shoes that I have, and I know not to use the cream on shell. But I guess the cream would be for leather shoes?

Thanks.

I have many pairs of shoes in Horween chromexcel and all i ever use is venetian shoe cream (as directed) and brush with a horse hair brush. Buff with a cloth to a nice sheen.

My cordovan see's polish once in a blue moon. The best care for your cordovan shoes is the "Mac method". search it on this forum and you'll be golden.

unclesam099

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blue collar
I have many pairs of shoes in Horween chromexcel and all i ever use is venetian shoe cream (as directed) and brush with a horse hair brush. Buff with a cloth to a nice sheen.

My cordovan see's polish once in a blue moon. The best care for your cordovan shoes is the "Mac method". search it on this forum and you'll be golden.

Great, I know the Mac method and have been following it. I am at the point where I need to buy the wax, though.

I will have to get some of the venetian shoe cream for the natural cxl ptb's, too.

enigma77

Reaction score
The office moves to business casual during the summer and I need a light tan pair of loafers to wear with khakis or light colored dress pants. I was thinking a nice pair of whiskey loafers like the ones below. Do the whiskey loafers darken with age? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I think ravello is better for your usage. I never quit figured out if whiskey is too close in color to tan/khaki, but ravello is definitely fine I think

Ravello is the best shell, I believe, and very versatile. Whiskey LHS would be an excellent choice, though. Whiskey does darken with age, especially in the sun. A perfect shade of shell for the summer, though ravello works year-round.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blue collar

Venetian shoe cream will darken natural chromexcel. TSM recommends neutral for natural.

unclesam099

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
Venetian shoe cream will darken natural chromexcel. TSM recommends neutral for natural.

Great, I haven't placed the order yet, I think that I might just buy some. I was worried that applying cream or whatever would darken it.

terradilavoro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by astris
What do you do for a belt with navy suede? I'm guessing just a brown leather or suede belt since they have the natural edge?
Hi astris, i just bought a pair of van Bommel navy suede http://www.vanbommel.com/uploads/shoes/1705103.jpg and asked myself the same question. what i just ordered is this Pierre Cardin suede belt € 39 - hopefully the colour will match perfect Attachment 64654 Hope this amazon link will work http://www.amazon.de/Lederg%C3%BCrte...4962742&sr=1-2 kindest regards Joachim pls excuse my very basic english - i am a german native

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Technically this is all mine:

Alden Collection

Love it
laugh.gif

Next time I visit CA, I'll def. drop in at LSBH.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide

I think natural is too light -- here is how it looks after a few coats of venetian cream. Pics from AAAC.

Originally Posted by Marley
DSC_0006-2.jpg

Alden CXL PTB's with a few coats of Venetian Cream.
Gives them a more of a toned-down appearance.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
I think natural is too light -- here is how it looks after a few coats of venetian cream. Pics from AAAC.

Sri - I sort of like the tone of those shoes after a few coats of the Venetian - I may hit my natural LWBs with the commando soles that I picked up from Winn Perry. That would mean that I have a pair of #8s available...
laugh.gif

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Attachment 64636

whiskey is a good choice. consider ravello or cigar. in my experience whiskey does darken with age

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by astris
What do you do for a belt with navy suede? I'm guessing just a brown leather or suede belt since they have the natural edge?

Exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads