• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arvidg
I can play that game too; this was saturday:

IMAG0300EndretiGIMPbildebehandler.jpg

So come on then, impress us and spill on the deets as to what all the shiny hardware represents.
smile.gif

arvidg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
So come on then, impress us and spill on the deets as to what all the shiny hardware represents.
smile.gif

Years and years of volunteering to do fun stuff with great friends, within an academic/student-related context (or actually two independent contexts).

White tie does look a lot better with decorations, academical or otherwise, in my opinion. (Then again, I am biased.)

The context here, by the way, is a gala concert, e.g.:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

...followed by a gala dinner, drinks, dancing and an after-party. And there you have my lifestyle, for about one week-end a year.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Those shoes look fine, but they don't appear to have a particularly sleek last.

I meant compared to lufty's usual shoes, haha. They're not too clunky to me, right in between blobby and sleek.

Also % that is nowhere near conservative business dress. Amazing shoes though..... Where 2 kop???

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arvidg
Years and years of volunteering to do fun stuff with great friends, within an academic/student-related context (or actually two independent contexts).

White tie does look a lot better with decorations, academical or otherwise, in my opinion. (Then again, I am biased.)

Oh yeah, definitely. And congratulations, too.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sort of conservative business dress. Manton will not like this tie. From a distance, the colors appear much more muted than the photos indicate, despite the neon ink used. Sleeves may need 1/4" shortening.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
prkr510a.jpg

prkr510b.jpg

prkr510c.jpg

Almost conservative business dress. Patch pockets on lightweight flannel suit. I haven't yet got the hang of the colorful pocket squares, so I usually default to white.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You mean like a cashmere or wool?
It's hard to tell, but it's kind of a grenadine weave. I'll try to take a close up pic.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lufty, don't shorten the sleeves -- they look very good. Not a fan of the tie, but it works I guess. Like the PTBs a lot. I have a similar pair - Hanover, right?

Love the suit, Parker. Agree with Ed reg. textured tie -- a grenadine or a regular knit tie would have elevated this outfit even more. I'm officially announcing my lust for the suede captoes - first oldog, now you. Are yours C&J?

edit: saw the photo below -- looks great and nice choice for this outfit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I can see the texture in that tie.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a close up. Not sure what the weave is.

prkr510d.jpg

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Lufty, don't shorten the sleeves -- they look very good. Not a fan of the tie, but it works I guess. Like the PTBs a lot. I have a similar pair - Hanover, right?

Barrie Ltd Bootmakers.

ctp120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I can see the texture in that tie.

+1. I think the tie looks great with it. For lack of a better term, the "shirt-space" on that jacket is just right. Manton's SB Solitos are great in that way too. This is something I almost always notice in Neapolitan bespoke but don't see as often in high end Neapolitan RTW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads