• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
By leaving out the second part of my comment, you mischaracterized me. I am aware of what people mean by "dress pants" and "office pants." I just happen to find the underlying notions repugnant. So, I would never call my flannel trousers "dress pants" unless speaking to someone who I wouldn't want to take the time to explain anything further to. The only thing I wouldn't wear them with is a t-shirt. Polo shirts, OCBDs, sweaters, college sweatshirts--all game. At the end, you can call them whatever they like, but I don't treat them as anything particularly special.

No one is saying they have to be special. Again, it's the formality gap. Throwing one or two more or less formal items into the whole is interesting and fun. But when the gap is that large, it just looks dumb.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
No one is saying they have to be special. Again, it's the formality gap. Throwing one or two more or less formal items into the whole is interesting and fun. But when the gap is that large, it just looks dumb.

I suppose our fundamental disagreement is over the formality of light grey flannel trousers. I think they are essentially as adaptable as khakis.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
they are essentially as adaptable as khakis.

No.

Also, the shoes. Don't forget the shoes.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
would like to hear what vox has to say about this.

I'm momentarily back from my spreadsheet...wasn't there an entire thread to helping Vox match dress pants to his clothes? For that reason alone, I too would like to hear his opinion on the matter.

sellahi22

Reaction score
I suppose our fundamental disagreement is over the formality of light grey flannel trousers. I think they are essentially as adaptable as khakis.

No I think the gap between everyone and you relates to the formality of the sweatshirt. To me, a sweatshirt with writing on it as as formal as a T-shirt with writing on it, and less formal than a plain t-shirt.

Sweatshirts are only appropriate when exercising, doing rough outdoorsy activities, or attending an outdoors football/lacrosse/etc. match. Also, wearing the full name of your school outside of the gym is completely naff; you should have gotten a sweatshirt with just a B on it.

You should have just stuck with some sort of knit sweater. Cotton would have been fine.

CaymanS

Reaction score
If it looks wrong when they do that, it's more likely that they didn't do it well enough, not that they were inappropriately dressed for a social context that lacks any real dress code to begin with.

I actually agree with Zach. In college, the few kids who wore sportcoats and ties to class looked ridiculous. No amount of Neopolitan shoulder is going to make you not look like a douchebag.

Along the same lines, I flew to Louisville for the Derby this past weekend. From my vantage point in a box, I saw a lot of people wearing suits in the infield. Again - ridiculous. Shorts and a t-shirt would be entirely appropriate. If you paid $40 for your ticket on the day of the event and have kids dressed in togas to one side of you and superheros to the other, you needn't wear a suit. (In the stands, naturally, there were plenty of well turned-out people, as there should be.)

It's not the 1920s any more. Suits used to be worn to class, to the Derby infield...hell even to the beach. Anyone who would argue that wearing a suit to the beach with a lady who is wearing a dress is anything other than totally absurd fails to grasp how significantly social norms have changed.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Are you all really saying that you never wear sweatshirts? If not, are you saying that when you do wear sweatshirts, you make a conscious choice not to pick from your 'good' pants?

It's exactly that sort of double life that I find tasteless. Good clothing should be worn, not merely displayed for pretension's sake. How much of what's posted on this forum is just costume?

100% of the MC side? No one wears pocket squares unless they want to put up some costume. I say this as a guy who wears pockets squares and jackets with tees...

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo's outfit is casual. Casual as in a I-don't-care-what-you-think way.

Kind of like how Oldog pairs very loose fitting hawaiian short sleeve shirts (see below) with carefully pressed, pleated trousers. I love the casual vibes in that look very much. What makes the look is oldog's attitude that comes through in the photo -- casual and super comfortable. He certainly looks stylish. Most of you disagree, probably.

(emphasis mine)

Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
This is a standard summer combination for me. It is an abdication of standards and I decry it. If I'm doing anything more lawyerly than sitting in my office communicating with my co-workers or by telephone/email with outsiders, I wear lawyer duds. But in DC summers, even my most tropical suits/shirts are to much for comfort when I'm commuting by public transit/foot and walking out for lunch or errands. I do however, keep a couple of suits and related accoutrements in the office.

If it's a bit cooler and/or less humid, I might do this:

I wear something similar on hot summer days here -- a short sleeve madras shirt with pressed, pleated/flat-front bills khakis poplins and suede shoes. Note that I work in a university setting so I don't have to look any more formal on most days.

Foo's outfit is on the same lines with the short sleeve shirts replaced with the brown sweatshirt. There is nothing wrong about his outfit -- it is inherently casual and it does not matter if he is wearing ambrosi pants or jeans or khakis. It is possibly not work appropriate where he works, but he is enjoying a day in the park!

Jeans would not have the made this outfit any more casual -- it is certainly more commonly seen, agreed. I'dve probably worn a pair of khakis with an outfit like this, but that's because I dislike jeans and own a single pair that I wear during colder days here.

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
100% of the MC side? No one wears pocket squares unless they want to put up some costume. I say this as a guy who wears pockets squares and jackets with tees...

confused.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

Pocket squares are all over workaday Manhattan these days.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Kind of like how Oldog pairs very loose fitting hawaiian short sleeve shirts (see below) with carefully pressed, pleated trousers. I love the casual vibes in that look very much. What makes the look is oldog's attitude that comes through in the photo -- casual and super comfortable. He certainly looks stylish. Most of you disagree, probably.

Two big differences with his outfits and foo's. Oldog is in the office at work, not at the park on the weekend. He is also not in his 20s. Dressing for the context.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads