• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

quar

Reaction score
In a room somewhere in NY, mafoofan is laughing at us all for taking the bait, and truly believing that he thought this outfit was in good taste when he put it on.

I wish that were true, but I'm sure mafoofan actually believes he's on a winner with that horrendous outfit.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
It was and, sadly, sometimes still is very popular for Russian men in my community to wear a dress shirt, track suit pants, and dress shoes. Foo's outfit is right up there.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
BTW, this thread sort of contradicts the SF meme that certain posters never get criticized by their friends, even when they do/wear something demonstrably wrong, no?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quar
In a room somewhere in NY, mafoofan is laughing at us all for taking the bait, and truly believing that he thought this outfit was in good taste when he put it on.

I wish that were true, but I'm sure mafoofan actually believes he's on a winner with that horrendous outfit.

me thinks you have all been 'had' by the Foo.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The heat that develops back and forth when Foo shakes things up a bit really is something to behold. Is the outfit that bad? I don't think so only because Foo seems to play it off well with a bit of attitude. Do the longwings start to make it a bit comical? Sure, but we all know that's the way Foo roles. Might as well accept it even if one wouldn't wear it.

I'm going to go back to more important things...like getting this spreadsheet taken care of for a client.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I think there's some cognitive circuity going on here: because Styleforum thinks dressing up is dressing better, and Styleforum prefers cuffs, it assumes cuffs signify dressing up. This is false, however. If anything, cuffs make trousers more casual. When wearing black tie, for example, one's trousers should not be cuffed.

You've taken a few shots at SF, but I think you are actually falling into a trap that is a classic SF problem: dressing properly for the occasion. I know I'm guilty of it sometimes. Style is also about finding the appropriate clothes for your age, you companions, your job, your situation, etc. A pair of flannel dress pants are just not the appropriate piece of clothing for whatever activity that also involves wearing a sweatshirt, at least not for a man of your age.

I mean, feel free to wear it based on whatever notions of dressing you have, but it will stand out as looking wrong, just as it looks wrong when college kids on this forum wear a coat and tie to class.

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
BTW, this thread sort of contradicts the SF meme that certain posters never get criticized by their friends, even when they do/wear something demonstrably wrong, no?

Not really. If Foo wears a gym sweatshirt in the forest with dress pants, OneShoe and ridiculous-looking shades, or if you wear a horrendous shirt/tie combo in the conservative business dress thread, even the most loyal sycophants around will very mildly/delicately/almost self-deprecatingly (really) let you know that you look like crap. But, generally, there is a whole lot of back-slapping and praise - you're too intelligent to not believe this to be the case.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Wookie indeed!

3fabqje

That's no wookie coat. It is without a doubt, a genuine Snuffaluffagus coat.
Snuff.jpg

-LR

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I can take the personal attacks and insults, but putting me into a Harvard sweater would truly make a piece of me die on the inside.

The rejection letters (both of them - college and law school) continue to sting, eh? Jkjk
laugh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
Not really. If Foo wears a gym sweatshirt in the forest with dress pants, OneShoe and ridiculous-looking shades, or if you wear a horrendous shirt/tie combo in the conservative business dress thread, even the most loyal sycophants around will very mildly/delicately/almost self-deprecatingly (really) let you know that you look like crap. But, generally, there is a whole lot of back-slapping and praise - you're too intelligent to not believe this to be the case.
Wow, thanks for sharing.

CaymanS

Reaction score
3fabqje

^ Who could dislike this coat. Seriously, now. This thing is beyond legendary. It's sort of like what would happen if Vox hired Spoo as a personal shopper for a day...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Come on, foo.

By leaving out the second part of my comment, you mischaracterized me. I am aware of what people mean by "dress pants" and "office pants." I just happen to find the underlying notions repugnant. So, I would never call my flannel trousers "dress pants" unless speaking to someone who I wouldn't want to take the time to explain anything further to. The only thing I wouldn't wear them with is a t-shirt. Polo shirts, OCBDs, sweaters, college sweatshirts--all game. At the end, you can call them whatever you like, but I don't treat them as anything particularly special.

Originally Posted by teddieriley
Your Ambrosi pants. Those are dress pants.

Nope.

Originally Posted by teddieriley
I mean you have jeans - you don't think it would be significantly more appropriate to pair your sweatshirt with jeans?

Jeans are never 'appropriate'. I wear them when appropriateness isn't an issue--but then, I might also put on my grey flannels.

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Its not like you don't understand the basis for all the criticism here.

I understand the basis, but it's wrong.

Originally Posted by alliswell
I think I see the problem. Foo's taken it to the next level - wool pants that work with everything. Not "dress pants". Not "office pants".

In jest or not, this is closest to what I'm getting at. Not perfectly on target, but in the same ballpark.

Originally Posted by zbromer
You've taken a few shots at SF, but I think you are actually falling into a trap that is a classic SF problem: dressing properly for the occasion. I know I'm guilty of it sometimes. Style is also about finding the appropriate clothes for your age, you companions, your job, your situation, etc. A pair of flannel dress pants are just not the appropriate piece of clothing for whatever activity that also involves wearing a sweatshirt, at least not for a man of your age.

Why aren't they appropriate for a picnic? They are comfortable enough (more so than jeans) and there is no meaningful dress code in Central Park. My age and job, etc., are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that they are my pants, they match or exceed what is minimally required for social appropriateness, and they aesthetically complement my other clothes. You are hung up on formality when: (1) you are, to begin with, assuming that flannel trousers express a narrow and rigid degree of formality, and (2) there is some sort of applicable standard of formality at all times.

Originally Posted by zbromer
. . . just as it looks wrong when college kids on this forum wear a coat and tie to class.

If it looks wrong when they do that, it's more likely that they didn't do it well enough, not that they were inappropriately dressed for a social context that lacks any real dress code to begin with.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
The rejection letters (both of them - college and law school) continue to sting, eh? Jkjk
laugh.gif

The bitterness is my fuel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads