• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky
http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignatur...tn&cat4=505930

Thoughts for a new wool pant?

And this to make the full suit?

Is it a good choice for a young guy or is the low price for both to good to be true? I'm a young slim guy, and I don't want to be drowning in the thing.

at the price of $129 you can get bloomingdale's or sak's store brand trousers. Not sure how they compare quality wise but worth researching ;p

thesecondprize

Reaction score
There was a "definitive" leather/shoe care thread I was reading several weeks ago but failed to subscribe to. I seem unable to dig it up via search. Help? Thx..

nohio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky

Thoughts for a new wool pant?

And this to make the full suit?

Is it a good choice for a young guy or is the low price for both to good to be true? I'm a young slim guy, and I don't want to be drowning in the thing.

For a starter suit, it isn't a bad choice. LL Bean quality is decent and the price is hard to beat. You might be able to get higher quality searching sales and the B&S forum here, but if you don't know your size very well and what measurements work well for you, that can be an exercise in frustration. LL Bean has a good return and customer service record, too.

2 things to watch out for:
1) Tropical weight wool: perfect for summer, too light for winter. Might want to find a different fabric if you want this to be an all-year suit. (That said, most of wintertime is spent indoors and you might live in a warm climate.)
2) Functional button sleeves. Dumb choice for LL Bean. This makes it difficult (and potentially expensive) to alter the sleeve length if it isn't right for you.
3) You will probably need to get it tailored: take the sides in, alter the sleeves, maybe taper the pants if they are too wide, shorten/hem the pants. Make sure you have the money to invest in it.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chest: 24"
Shoulder seam to cuff: 25"
*Extra that can be let out of cuffs: 2"
Shoulder to Shoulder: 19"
Top of Collar to Hem: 32"
Style: 2 buttons

judging by these measurements, what jacket size would you think this is?
it's for a suit jacket

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Cross-post from the Australian members thread. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by CHECKstar
As already mentioned before, next week I am off to HK (three days) and London (seven and a half days) for work. The way things are looking I will be having a free weekend, a week day and a half a Saturday in London. Last year in London I did mainly touristy things, this time I want to do some systematic shopping (both for goods and checking out my size in a number of hard-to-find in Australia brands). With that in mind, what are the types of things that I should add to the list?

So far I am thinking shoes (try in a number of C&J lasts) and a visit the new Drakes store. I would love to be able to try on SF approved trouser brands for sizing (eg Incotex). Anything else that I should be adding to the 'must do' list?

IronRock

Reaction score
I have a couple of pairs of flat fronted suit trousers that I need altering having lost a few inches off the waist (at last). Shock horror I often wear these trousers without a jacket and I've decided that I want to add a single forward pleat, a touch of detailing, if you will.
Considering the weight loss and the extra fabric already allowed for girth expansion when the trousers were made, is this:

1. Possible?
2. Recommended?

Thanks!

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Safe to handwash with woolite pants that are listed "dry clean only"???

I often wear summer weight wool for the office in Singapore, but it is so humid that I have to clean them often else I feel unclean. However, it would be time-consuming & inconvenient to take them to the cleaners every week, not to mention expensive!

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Safe to handwash with woolite pants that are listed "dry clean only"??? I often wear summer weight wool for the office in Singapore, but it is so humid that I have to clean them often else I feel unclean. However, it would be time-consuming & inconvenient to take them to the cleaners every week, not to mention expensive!
I would advise against. The main reason that they're listed as "dry clean only" is because wool can have undesirable effect when exposed with large amount of water, hot or cold. Of course, not all wool is affected adversely.

eudaimonia

Reaction score
Is it appropriate to wear AE shoes in their Walnut color with navy blue pants? The shoes I am looking at in particular are Macneil longwings in Walnut Grain, shown here:

387f1_MacNeilWalnutGrain.png

It's hard to tell from the pictures online if they are too light to wear with navy, but maybe someone who owns a pair could tell me.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General thoughts/feelings on this jacket? Might need to size up in terms of the pulling (although the single vent is still shut so that accounts for part of it) but the style itself? It's this jacket: http://www.allsaints.com/men/jackets...ink/mjk537-360

of0bia.jpg

Deciding whether to buy... thanks! And apologies for the non-HD pic
smile.gif

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox
Chest: 24"
Shoulder seam to cuff: 25"
*Extra that can be let out of cuffs: 2"
Shoulder to Shoulder: 19"
Top of Collar to Hem: 32"
Style: 2 buttons

judging by these measurements, what jacket size would you think this is?
it's for a suit jacket

46L is my guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads