• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carreducker Interview

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My May interview is now up on the blog and as always, I thought that I would share it with all of you. Enjoy! -Justin http://the-shoe-snob.blogspot.com/2011/05/carreducker-interview.html Questions: 1. How long have you been involved in shoemaking/shoe design? 2. What was it that made you decide that you wanted to get into shoemaking/shoe design? 3. Most English shoemakers are very conservative in their look (shoe design) yet you tend to be a bit more creative and unique in your styling. Why break the traditional English mold? 4. What is your favorite color? Favorite color on a shoe? 5. What is your favorite model out of Carreducker's collection? 6. You recently moved into Gieves & Hawkes, how has the transition help/affected Carreducker's business? 7. What is the hardest thing about being a bespoke shoemaker? Subsequently, what is the most rewarding? 8.You offer a course where you teach people how to make a pair of shoes, how many people (that you know of) have gone on the continue the trade? 9. What do you hope to see unfold in the shoe industry within the next 10 years? 10. And advice for aspiring shoemakers/shoe designers? Snippet: 3. Most English shoemakers are very conservative in their look (shoe design) yet you tend to be a bit more creative and unique in your styling. Why break the traditional English mold? DC: I can't help it - I have Sark and American blood in me! No seriously that is why James and I are such a good design team, he tempers my extravagances and I push him outside his comfort zone. English people are renown for their eccentricity - and James and I don't go crazy, we just like good style and design. JD: A NUMBER OF REASONS REALLY. IT IS OUR NATURAL AESTHETIC TO DESIGN THE WAY WE DO. YOU HAVE TO BE TRUE TO YOUR SELF AS A DESIGNER AND THEN HOPE THAT CUSTOMERS LIKE YOUR STYLE AND BUY INTO IT. IT SETS US APART FROM OUR COMPETITORS. BEING JUST LIKE THEM WOULD NOT HELP US. IT BRINGS THE CRAFT INTO THE 21ST CENTURY BY MARRYING ANCIENT CRAFT SKILLS WITH A MODERN DESIGN ETHOS

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
Great article Justin.

About a month ago, I actually dropped by to have you polish my Hidetaka Fukaya but unfortunately, you had already left for the day. Pity we missed each other.

Perhaps next time...

Thank Gazman, yes it is a pity that we missed each other, I would have been pleased to shine some nice shoes such as those, bespoke I presume? Anyway, next time you come by drop me an email or send me a message on SF and I can make sure that I will be there to meet you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads