• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Franchising

ANIKETOS

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with franchising?
I have been looking at lots of good franchises that would do well in my country but I'm looking for the advice of those who have done that.My main problem is i want to take their franchise internationally,which sometimes they are reluctant to do just yet.the other of course is at i don't have experience in the line of business im franchising.for example they want someone in the fast food industry to franchise x fast food company.it's understandable,but i am not an idiot to invest so much money if i wasn't going to hire the right people.can anyone help,has anyone overcome such a thing?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. You must have experience. No one is going to give you a part of their hard earned brand name, plus a **** load of bank loans if you've never even worked in a restaurant.

2. After punctuation marks, there come spaces. Always.

3. Calling members Small timers because they wont spend time pointing out that inexperienced business owners who can't even get hold of a franchise, let alone run it profitably, is not a good way to solicit good advice.

The rules companies impose are there for a reason: if they wont sell you a franchise, there is probably a good chance that you shouldn't be sold one. A real businessman overcomes these problems, he doesn't solicit help from the internet.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
1. You must have experience. No one is going to give you a part of their hard earned brand name, plus a **** load of bank loans if you've never even worked in a restaurant. 2. After punctuation marks, there come spaces. Always. 3. Calling members Small timers because they wont spend time pointing out that inexperienced business owners who can't even get hold of a franchise, let alone run it profitably, is not a good way to solicit good advice. The rules companies impose are there for a reason: if they wont sell you a franchise, there is probably a good chance that you shouldn't be sold one. A real businessman overcomes these problems, he doesn't solicit help from the internet.
I own a mid-size food company and have considerable knowledge about franchising but I'll leave it at this. +1

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ANIKETOS
Smalltimers....

Small timers franchise, ballers start companies.

As far as real advice goes though, read the FDD (Franchise Disclosure Document) very carefully. This will spell out your relationship with Corporate.

As far as "overcoming" requirements, good luck on that. They are put in place by Corporate to guard Corporate and make sure franchising is likely to benefit Corporate. Catch the drift?

ANIKETOS

Reaction score
Thanx guys,knew that comment would get me something
smile.gif
I finally had a breakthrough with a good company so wish me luck. I hope the discussion continues though about what you think some good franchises would be.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So you really want to be a sharecropper, do you?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've represented franchisees on numerous occasions; however, they pay me a lot of money for my advice, and would be upset if I gave it away for free on the internet. Having said that, all I can say is that you have to be careful because there are a lot of unexpected potholes along the way.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to say expect to work a **** ton. You can't just hire people and expect them to do the work for you because you paid them. You need to be there like 5-6 days a week or else they'll start stealing from you.

ANIKETOS

Reaction score
I will be there like you said as much as possible, when things start to run smoothly i might assign a manager who has the same training as I have. I will then move on to opening more places, and repeat.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be there like you said as much as possible, when things start to run smoothly i might assign a manager who has the same training as I have. I will then move on to opening more places, and repeat.
This is why you shouldn't franchise. You misunderstand both the nature if business and franchises. Don't do it. Lose a bunch of money on a startup before you try franchises.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't want your franchise to suck, you'll need to work like a dog.

The place I get coffee in the morning near my work is a franchise and the girl who owns it is there from 5h00am to 4h00am Monday to Friday and sometimes seven days a week if she anticipates a lot of traffic. She has employees but she's usually behind the counter herself. I talk to her a lot and she enjoys having employees (and based on what I've seen and her turnover she treats them exceptionally well) but I you can tell the rest of it is a grind.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smalltimers....
I don't open franchise locations. I own the brand.

ANIKETOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
This is why you shouldn't franchise. You misunderstand both the nature if business and franchises. Don't do it. Lose a bunch of money on a startup before you try franchises.
I already opened a service oriented business and it's doing very well. We will probably expand our team by 100% soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics