• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
it's an election, therefore a popularity contest. he's on there because of his reputation, certainly not for what he did this year. in fact, with his free-styling, i'd argue that he hurt the team as much as he helped them. not that he can't lock down when he decides he wants to.

I don't get that though, how can Tony Allen get 2nd most votes for DPOY but still placed in the 2nd team?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I don't get that though, how can Tony Allen get 2nd most votes for DPOY but still placed in the 2nd team?

different voters, right?

sexandcandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
(angry Lacker fan, pfff)

uh, no. I love the Lakers but I know they can't win it every year. I'm happy with 3 finals and 2 championships in the past 3 years and 5 chips in the last 10 years. No anger here

he was actually 4th in the voting for DPOY

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sexandcandy

Was he? I thought he was second because he was complaining how he didn't win.

different voters, right?

I thought it would be the same but I am not sure.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God, Gasol is such a girl!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket....column?page=2

"I have to learn from this," Gasol said. "I have to learn that when something happens off the court, you have to keep it off the court."

He was referring to the report that he stopped talking to Bryant during the postseason because Bryant's wife, Vanessa, had contributed to the breakup of Gasol and his longtime girlfriend. Lakers fans will remember that Karl Malone once publicly accused Vanessa of interfering with his personal life in a similar fashion.

I don't get it. How can Vanessa Bryant be so instrumental in a break-up between 2 people not close to her? Pau needs to grow a pair.

Originally Posted by NAMOR
I agree, Kobe needs to be moved to 2nd team, Allen to first team. Iggy lost a step this season. Shouldn't be on the list at all.

I agree that Kobe shouldn't be First Team, but Iggy "shouldn't be on the list at all"? He had a great year defensively; I think he had the lowest points per possession allowed of any small forward in the league. It's hard to argue with that.

Not sure about Noah either; he only played about half the season.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
I don't get it. How can Vanessa Bryant be so instrumental in a break-up between 2 people not close to her? Pau needs to grow a pair.

i'm curious to find out what happened as well, but before we get all "grow a pair", we ought to remember that we're relying on a blog post commenting on another blog post, probably commenting on what someone's girlfriend told them she heard at the nail parlor.
not saying it couldn't happen, just that it seems kind of unlikely.
there have been many more reports that referred to a general dissension in the locker room.
none of which should be construed as any kind of support for vanessa bryant, who is supposed to be a grade a, no. 1 b&tch. i know because my wife's co-worker has a friend who saw her once at South Coast Plaza and thought she looked that way.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
different voters, right?

Yeah, I don't really understand that.
DPOY is by writers and broadcasters, All-NBA D is by the coaches.

Bit of a disconnect between the 2:

2010-11_nbadefensiveplayer.jpg

NBA All Defensive

1st Team:

D12
Rondo
LBJ
KOBE
KG

2nd Team:
Tony Allen
CP3
Tyson Chandler
Iggy
Joakim

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian

We really don't know that, these players and their girlfriends/wifes hangs out at times and could easily get close. On holidays, invite them to their home, parties, birthdays, etc... These guys could easily get close to each other.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm curious to find out what happened as well, but before we get all "grow a pair", we ought to remember that we're relying on a blog post commenting on another blog post, probably commenting on what someone's girlfriend told them she heard at the nail parlor. not saying it couldn't happen, just that it seems kind of unlikely. there have been many more reports that referred to a general dissension in the locker room. none of which should be construed as any kind of support for vanessa bryant, who is supposed to be a grade a, no. 1 b&tch. i know because my wife's co-worker has a friend who saw her once at South Coast Plaza and thought she looked that way.
Yeah, I know, my bad re: Pau. Apparently that (original) blog is also often quite inaccurate, and I thought Pau denied the whole thing anyway? In any case, I doubt that any one issue such as a break-up led to all the Laker troubles. I do wonder what was going on though, and if we'll ever really know. I sure don't envy Kupchak over the off-season. This is going to be tough. LOL @ that VB b&tch rating!
laugh.gif
(Although she sure doesn't seem like the sweetest gal in the OC....)
We really don't know that, these players and their girlfriends/wifes hangs out at times and could easily get close. On holidays, invite them to their home, parties, birthdays, etc... These guys could easily get close to each other.
Of course. I agree with foodguy and you. What I meant was that IF that rumor were in any way true, I don't see that VB could be the cause of a break-up; sure, she could tell Pau's gal that Pau is a jerk or whatever, but for the 2 of them to break up the relationship would have far more divisive and relevant issues between the 2, outside of any possible VB "influence". Seems a bit soap-opera-ey.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually, i dont think that's true, particularly not on the lakers and particularly not where kobe is involved. there was a very revealing quote last summer from d-fish, where he said he'd never been to kobe's house. i'm sure there are some players (and probably some clubs) that are more social than others, but these are, after all, basically individual corporations that bond together for a time for their shared economic well-being. basketball players, in particular, are renowned for having to support large entourages of "friends" and helpers. that's why so many of them go broke within 5 years of retirement.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sexandcandy
uh, no. I love the Lakers but I know they can't win it every year. I'm happy with 3 finals and 2 championships in the past 3 years and 5 chips in the last 10 years. No anger here

Dont care, really. Just love seeing that ***** Koobie lose out.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually, i dont think that's true, particularly not on the lakers and particularly not where kobe is involved. there was a very revealing quote last summer from d-fish, where he said he'd never been to kobe's house.

Wow, that's kind of shocking and sad, considering how long Kobe and Fish have known each other. I've heard that Kobe is very private, but that seems a bit extreme.

There was a good article earlier this year in SI re: OKC. Those guys hang out together all the time and apparently all get along well.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
actually, i dont think that's true, particularly not on the lakers and particularly not where kobe is involved. there was a very revealing quote last summer from d-fish, where he said he'd never been to kobe's house. i'm sure there are some players (and probably some clubs) that are more social than others, but these are, after all, basically individual corporations that bond together for a time for their shared economic well-being. basketball players, in particular, are renowned for having to support large entourages of "friends" and helpers. that's why so many of them go broke within 5 years of retirement.

That may be true with Bryants house but what about charity events? All-Star Weekend? They have more than enough of those type of events where the wifeys can socialize.

As for break-ups, it is easy enough for one chick to influence another. Again, we don't know the situation but I have seen situations withn my circle of friends where one chick could say dude cheated or she's better off without him and that results in a break up. Plus some dudes, when heartbroken, looks for any excuse or someone to blame so he could easily point fingers. Let's keep in mind though, this is the same Vanessa Bryant who said Malone hit on her or called her a lil Mexican chick or something that pretty much destroyed that years Laker team. She can be viewed as a finer, Mexican version of Yoko. So really, it's not so far fetch that Vanessa might have had something to say about that break-up. This is Hollywood and drama is it's middle name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads