• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Happy show off your Aldens and no sizing question day!

Here's a more modest collection.

#8 Longwings, Brown calf longwings from JCrew, Cigar PTB, and unlined tan suede chukkas.

(3 pairs are in transit: Ravello LWB from Leffot, and Snuff suede PTB and burnished tan v-tips from Leather Soul)

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon

Another thing I've been thinking about lately, as my collection has grown: Do you guys put special riders on your home insurance for your Aldens? I'm sure those collections are worth well over $10K (and many irreplaceable).

Insurance riders are usually sold for pieces that have a market and an appraisal value, I believe. I'm sure that shoes would fall under personal property and be subject to depreciation for a payout. Zippy may have paid 10K (?) but the market wouldn't pay him that much if he wanted to liquidate - they are used shoes.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
zippyh;4451242 said:

outstanding wardrobe

i assume you void loafers

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Cordovan in one shot and non-cordo in the other.

outstanding collection

consider the method

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
o8v2av.jpg

f0ucuw.jpg

whiskey ptb
argyles otc

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
mcarthur;4452171 said:
Originally Posted by zippyh

outstanding wardrobe

i assume you void loafers

Thanks mac.
I've got a couple pairs of C&J cordovan loafers and few other misc brand loafers but in general loafers just don't do it for me.

Perlorian

Reaction score
Sorry to be boring, but i need some serious sizing advice.

I've just had to send back a pair of PTBs, size 8.5D, as they were way too small and i couldn't even get my foot all the way in the shoe. Unfortunately i live a million miles from an Alden retailer so i can't try the shoes on in physical space.

Now i'm usually a 9 lengthways, but almost always have trouble fitting a regular width shoe. I also have a very high instep.

So i've just sent back these PTBs, and the store don't want to issue a refund. They're happy to provide another size for me to try, however. What would you advise i ask them to send?

Apologies again people, but would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Perlorian
Sorry to be boring, but i need some serious sizing advice.

I've just had to send back a pair of PTBs, size 8.5D, as they were way too small and i couldn't even get my foot all the way in the shoe. Unfortunately i live a million miles from an Alden retailer so i can't try the shoes on in physical space.

Now i'm usually a 9 lengthways, but almost always have trouble fitting a regular width shoe. I also have a very high instep.

So i've just sent back these PTBs, and the store don't want to issue a refund. They're happy to provide another size for me to try, however. What would you advise i ask them to send?

Apologies again people, but would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Are these on the Barrie last? If so, they are more generous in the toe box, so you may find you don't have as much trouble with the width as you would with a typical dress shoe.

Was the length as issue as well? If so, by how much? It's hard to tell if you'd benefit more from a 9D or a 9.5D.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Perlorian

Thanks

What brand shoes are you a 9? When you say trouble w/a medium width do you mean too tight?

You need to provide more info to get any useful help.

Perlorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Are these on the Barrie last? If so, they are more generous in the toe box, so you may find you don't have as much trouble with the width as you would with a typical dress shoe.

Was the length as issue as well? If so, by how much? It's hard to tell if you'd benefit more from a 9D or a 9.5D.

Yeah - they're on the Barrie. TBH i'm not even able to get my foot into the shoe as it's too narrow for my toes to fit into. I think if i could get my foot into the shoe the toebox may be wide enough. It's too narrow for me at the opening. Length itself doesn't look like a problem.

Originally Posted by jhcam8
What brand shoes are you a 9? When you say trouble w/a medium width do you mean too tight?

You need to provide more info to get any useful help.

I'm always very difficult to fit, but as i said - i live nowhere remotely near an Alden retailer so thought i'd take a punt. Yeah - the width is a problem, and i think the vamp may be a little low for me, too. Hard to say as i couldn't get my wide foot through the opening anyway. I'm a 9 lengthways in anything i fit - sneaker, boot or dress shoe. I tend to wear sneakers more than anything else simply because the fit is easier.

Thanks for the quick replies!
smile.gif

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Barrie's run 1/2 size big so you'd presumably take a an 8.5 wide. The shell PTB's tend to be a little roomier. Try talking to Tom or Brian at Leather Sole - I know Tom wears a wide in Alden.

luck

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
Here's a more modest collection.

#8 Longwings, Brown calf longwings from JCrew, Cigar PTB, and unlined tan suede chukkas.

(3 pairs are in transit: Ravello LWB from Leffot, and Snuff suede PTB and burnished tan v-tips from Leather Soul)

OK, the Ravello from Leffot showed up today, here it is:

I love this color. Earlier this year I bought a pair of whiskey LWB that I returned because they were too light for my taste. But these are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads