• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Any ideas on what does AC go for and out of interest what sort of timeframe would a typical shirt maker take?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C charges $120 and it goes up from there. Typically 3 days are needed to make a shirt.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, really? I think I am paying US$200-300 for my shirts from Ascot Chang. Usually Alumo 120s but also Thomas Mason. I guess they will do the shirts in 3 days if you are really in a hurry, I usually allow the 5-7 days they will typically tell you. I use the shop in IFC. Have had a good experience and made around 12-15 shirts there. I previously used several different (cheaper) shirt tailors around Central but the difference in quality from AC is noticeable and I am happy to pay a bit extra for the good result.
biggrin.gif

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clockwise
Oh, really? I think I am paying US$200-300 for my shirts from Ascot Chang. Usually Alumo 120s but also Thomas Mason. I guess they will do the shirts in 3 days if you are really in a hurry, I usually allow the 5-7 days they will typically tell you. I use the shop in IFC. Have had a good experience and made around 12-15 shirts there. I previously used several different (cheaper) shirt tailors around Central but the difference in quality from AC is noticeable and I am happy to pay a bit extra for the good result.
biggrin.gif

Yes, I think the cheapest you can found in AC nowaday is around USD120.
They charge CMT for HKD750 now (700 before Mar, I think it was just four hundreds something few years ago), so if you know where to buy the shirting, you can save a lot.
I tried many shirtmakers in HK, and I agreed with you AC is the best in HK.
Actually I think they can even do it in 2 days if you are really hurry, and ask them at the morning hours.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
They charge CMT for HKD750 now (700 before Mar, I think it was just four hundreds something few years ago), so if you know where to buy the shirting, you can save a lot.
Actually I think they can even do it in 2 days if you are really hurry, and ask them at the morning hours.

That's good to know, I am going to be a bit tight on time. Land 7am on the Wednesday, now out Friday afternoon at 2:40.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
That's good to know, I am going to be a bit tight on time. Land 7am on the Wednesday, now out Friday afternoon at 2:40.

BUt you have to be their old customer, that means they have your pattern on hand. And you have to have good relationship with the shop manager. They can do it doesn't mean they want to do it for anyone.

dbc

Reaction score

I am under the impression that they only do CMT for their regulars.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
I am under the impression that they only do CMT for their regulars.

I'd never heard that before. Is that what they told you?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clockwise
biggrin.gif

Most TM and Alumo are in the $200-$300 range with some in the $150 and up.

I agree that AC is the best in HK. 2 days is without fittings though.

Wongtouski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Most TM and Alumo are in the $200-$300 range with some in the $150 and up.

I agree that AC is the best in HK. 2 days is without fittings though.

How are the USD 120 ranges btw. I'm thinking of not making all three from Thomas Mason Fabrics.

hwai333

Reaction score
so where do you guys recommend for a good quality shirt for under $800 hkd as I need to start to wear a tie weekly, probably need 2 whites and a light blue? or should I pay more for AC ?

Annadale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hwai333
so where do you guys recommend for a good quality shirt for under $800 hkd as I need to start to wear a tie weekly, probably need 2 whites and a light blue? or should I pay more for AC ?

Bang per buck, Lee Baron Far East Mansion Middle Road Kowloon.

Do some searching, son, there are a wealth of threads on Hong Kong tailor made shirts.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I'd never heard that before. Is that what they told you?

ya

dan'l

Reaction score
For those of you who have used both Gordon Yao and Lee Baron, which one has a better selection of fabrics? Or are they in completely different price brackets that it isn't realistic to compare the two?

I'm interested in getting a couple of sport coats made and considering commissioning one at each tailor. But my main dilemma is which to visit first? Perhaps I choose a fabric at tailor #1 and when I get to tailor #2, they have the same fabric I had already selected at the first place but not much else that interests me. I would have to go back and change my fabric selection at the first tailor.

Oh, and I am not interested in CMT.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads