• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Sharp Dressers Born or Made? (Question from a newbie)

newbie123

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just signed up today and as you can see my username, i'm a newbie
smile.gif

Quick background before my question: I would describe myself as below average dresser. I'm not a cheapskate by any means but I feel that I've underspent on clothes and had fallen into the trap of quantity over quality. My theory of not being a good dresser are the following:

(a) Introversion: I occasionally go out with friends but I'm far from being the life of the party.
(b) Analytical: I am pretty good with numbers and can easily visualize things from a numbers/money perspective. However, the downside to this strength is that I am not a creative person at all, not a good writer and speaker. (I honestly feel this is my biggest challenge in being a lousy dresser, not being creative).
(c) Thriftiness in general especially in clothing: I'm a good saver and I would say I'm pretty advanced when it comes to handling my investment portfolio and retirement savings. As mentioned previously, I'm not a cheapskate (I've done a little bit of traveling in Europe and Asia which are pricey and some other large expenses) but I just couldn't get to spend decent money on clothes. I've never bought a pair of shoes for more than $300, never had a suit more than $500 and I only have two watches worth around $100 each.

Some questions come to mind from a newbie like me:
(a) Are sharp dressers born or made? For the senior members here, did you have any feeling that you were good dressers even when you were younger (below 10 yrs old)? How did you childhood photos look when you were at an event?
(b) Anybody here visualize themselves in my shoes (introverted/analytical/thrifty) and were below average before, but was able to overcome the challenges and could now describe himself/herself as a sharp dresser.
(c) For those who are naturally not very interested in clothing and style, how do you keep yourself interested?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to find and improve my style over the coming years and hopefully reach at least a little above average.

Please advise,

Newbie123

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lurk more. Enjoy the photos. If you find some people whose look you like, emulate them.

yorkjj

Reaction score
They are made. Remember, we are all born naked.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend not to follow most advice from GQ or anything similar. I always believed if you look good in a garment then that will be the good style you should go for.

I used to be rather hipster (Jack Wills, unfortunately), but I go to styleforum more, read through more threads.

By the time you appreciate clothing construction and quality more than cut, you know you have improved.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
One of the most interesting things I've seen on SF was when some of the veterans posted pictures of their pre SF looks. I would have been even more interested to learn how fast the transition took place but I think it's a safe bet that even some of the best dressed on here have a few sartorial skeletons in the back of their now impeccable wardrobes!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imo its usually a combination of both. some people dont care about style some do. of those that do there is group of people who are natually good at it, those that suck and those inbetween.

i would put myself in the top tier of the tweeners, maybe even in the naturally good it at group. i always have had an interest in dressing well, and a nack for looking alright. i can confidently say that even before i dicovered SF i was well dressed, and compared with most people around me possibly very well dressed.

however, once i found this money pit, i found out i had a lot to improve on. and i think im well on my way to succeeding in that goal. as long as you care about being a sharp dresser to the point youre willing to work on it, no matter what group you fall into you have a fighting chance of success. if youre fortunate enough to be good at it, it will make it that much easier.

the only people who wont make it are those that dont care and those that think they have nothing to learn.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The old chesnut Nurture versus Nature..

I always have had an unhealthy interest in clothing...

It started with trainers to more upmarket clothing...

Style is constantly evolving...

When I was in my early twenties , I used to wear corduroy trousers with dress shirts, Burberry's scarf and Weston loafers...

Now ,I love navy or charcoal suits with simple combos and I hate the BCBG look...

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharp dressers in a StyleForum sense are made; and they are made here. I'm scared to look at my photos of just 2-3 years back.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a combination of learning and wanting. The desire to dress well is something you have to want. Some (maybe most) people don't care. You also learn what looks good on you and what doesn't. There's also the factor of having enough disposable income to support the habit...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Sharp dressers in a StyleForum sense are made; and they are made here. I'm scared to look at my photos of just 2-3 years back.

Style is just like a picture...

The reflection of your present...

You might look back in 3 years time and find your SF's look ridiculous ..

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by add911_11
By the time you appreciate clothing construction and quality more than cut, you know you have improved.

kitonbrioni would definitely agree with you on this, but I don't. I don't care about construction if the fit sucks. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vox, like Chuck Norris, was born. Everyone else is being made, as we speak, to "standards".

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Style is just like a picture...

The reflection of your present...

You might look back in 3 years time and find your SF's look ridiculous ..

I was about to wonder 'out loud' on here if, after a certain amount of time on SF, generally one's style settles down into a theme that is occasionally tweaked but as the learning curve flattens out there is less bouncing from trend to trend as people figure out what works for them and what they think looks good?

Ebonyman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
There's a combination of learning and wanting. The desire to dress well is something you have to want. Some (maybe most) people don't care. You also learn what looks good on you and what doesn't. There's also the factor of having enough disposable income to support the habit...

+100

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads