• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York Restaurants for Solo Traveller

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on visiting NYC end of June for 5 days - staying in Greenwhich village and hitting all the touristy spots throughout Manhattan. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants for breakfast/dinner/lunch - preferably ones that are comfortable enough for someone dining alone?

I love unique concept restaurants. One restaurant I'm already excited about visiting is Mac Bar on Prince Street which offers Lobster Mac N Cheese. From what everyone says, a visit to one of the famous pizza places and deli's is also a must. Any particularly good ones in Manhattan?

Any other such recommendations? I've started looking at urbanspoon - but am overwhelmed by the sheer amount of restaurants.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
few things beat a bagel from H&H for breakfast. I only ate breakfast in Manhattan in my youth (the french toast at Triomphe was my favorite).

you can hit up most of the great restaurants solo by just sitting at the bar and ordering a drink and some apps. In fact, this is what I do most of the time anyways, even when I'm not solo.

if you must have lobster, try Luke's for a lobster roll. A bargain compared to most places yet IMO better. And if you must have mac n cheese, hit up Dogmatic where the truffled guyere mac n cheese for $3.25 is one of the best deals I've had.

Other good ones to try, whether it be for lunch or dinner: Aldea, Eleven Madison, anything Daniel Boulud, Locanda Verde, Maialino, 15 East for sushi, Babbo (since you're in GV)

bibs

Reaction score
+1 or Daniel Boulud and you could probably hit one of the Momofuku's

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Breakfast at Le French Diner, the best french toast in the city, though they open at 12 so not really breakfast..

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toto Ramen.

A must, in my opinion. Pretty much any fine dining restaurant will accommodate a solo diner.

Renton

Reaction score
I had an dinner at Le Bernadin as a solo diner. It worked out that 5:30 was the only time I could get a reservation when I was last in the city, so I said to hell with it and enjoyed a tasting menu on my own.

bibs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Toto Ramen.

A must, in my opinion. Pretty much any fine dining restaurant will accommodate a solo diner.

Ippudo Ramen is also a must try if you're into that noodle stuff

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bibs
Ippudo Ramen is also a must try if you're into that noodle stuff

Toto Ramen is considerably better. Much better.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I'm planning on visiting NYC end of June for 5 days - staying in Greenwhich village and hitting all the touristy spots throughout Manhattan. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants for breakfast/dinner/lunch - preferably ones that are comfortable enough for someone dining alone? I love unique concept restaurants. One restaurant I'm already excited about visiting is Mac Bar on Prince Street which offers Lobster Mac N Cheese. From what everyone says, a visit to one of the famous pizza places and deli's is also a must. Any particularly good ones in Manhattan? Any other such recommendations? I've started looking at urbanspoon - but am overwhelmed by the sheer amount of restaurants.
What price point did you have in mind for the meals? Gomestar posted some good recommendations on the higher end side but depends on budget. Also, are you into wine? There are a number of wine bar type spots that would work well for a solo dinner......

changy

Reaction score
I find solo dinners are more comfortable (less awkward) when sitting at a bar. So I'm gonna say.

- Sushi Yasuda
- Ippudo (Go during lunch, it's less crowded)
- Robuchon
- Sakagura
- Grammercy Tavern
- Degustation

I find establishments like Katz and russ & daughters to be a rip off, but since you are being a tourist, it probably wont hurt to check it out.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yasuda for sure
EMP
Toto Ramen (again, do this way before you do Ippudo... the people that praise Ippudo haven't been to Japan.)
L'Atelier

bkdasher

Reaction score
+ 1 Ippudo (haven't been to Toto and feel compelled to go tonight)
+ 1 Momofuku
+ 1 Boulud (DBGB could be particularly good if your solo)

And just off the top of my head-

Burgers: Shake Shack, Minetta Tavern, or Corner Bistro (for the nostalgia, the burger has gone downhill)
Pizza: Motorino, Keste
Thai: Kin Shop
BBQ: Dinosaur or RUB
American: Peels
Weird but delicious: Shopsin's

I've got Brooklyn suggestions too, if you're interested.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkdasher
+ 1 Ippudo (haven't been to Toto and feel compelled to go tonight)
+ 1 Momofuku
+ 1 Boulud (DBGB could be particularly good if your solo)

And just off the top of my head-

Burgers: Shake Shack, Minetta Tavern, or Corner Bistro (for the nostalgia, the burger has gone downhill)
Pizza: Motorino, Keste
Thai: Kin Shop
BBQ: Dinosaur or RUB
American: Peels
Weird but delicious: Shopsin's

I've got Brooklyn suggestions too, if you're interested.

Tell me about Shopsin's.

And please go to Toto Ramen. Get the pork belly over rice with yuzu mayo, then the chicken ramen (their speciality.) I am a snob of broth and I was very impressed, especially given the price.

Shake Shack is good as is the place at Parker Meridien. I still think Luger's has a good burger... the only thing I don't find disgusting at that place.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
What price point did you have in mind for the meals? Gomestar posted some good recommendations on the higher end side but depends on budget. Also, are you into wine? There are a number of wine bar type spots that would work well for a solo dinner......
I think $50-60 is the most I would spend on a meal if it was amazing - but I'd probably only spend that much 2 or 3 times in my whole trip and I'd probably each cheap for like $15 at a few other places to try and balance it out. I'm not really into wine at all. I'm really into Moroccan, Indian, south western, and Italian food. Any suggestions on those fronts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads