• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

ErnestoG.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
If you're driving north from Boston, there's also a huge liquor outlet off of I-93 right near Manchester, NH. Easy on, easy off the interstate.

Hell, they even sell lottery tickets.

you can also hit the store on the way coming back south to boston.. in case you run out of booze during your vacation

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
The 9.75% sales tax, 10% state income tax (if you make over $40k/yr) and typically the highest gas prices (I got cheap gas for $4.31 today
ffffuuuu.gif
) in the nation more than makes up for the booze prices.

Couldn't agree more. Scotch prices are decent, but only if you know where to shop. SF has some great stores.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ErnestoG.
you can also hit the store on the way coming back south to boston.. in case you run out of booze during your vacation

I wonder if Ray's State Line is still open just over the line from Dracut, MA? They did a thriving business in tobacco and beer when I lived in Lowell, MA

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Early on, I was told I'd be able to reserve 2 bottles. Last month, I was informed it'd probably just be one. Last night, I was informed that they'll be shipping late and I might not even get one (Moet/LVMH apparently didn't get nearly as many cases as they thought they would).

Not mad though. Last year's Rollercoaster was disappointing.

divitius

Reaction score
I know this is probably futile, but does anyone happen to know an online source that might still have some Cragganmore distiller's edition? Nobody seems to have any anywhere...

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
Early on, I was told I'd be able to reserve 2 bottles. Last month, I was informed it'd probably just be one. Last night, I was informed that they'll be shipping late and I might not even get one (Moet/LVMH apparently didn't get nearly as many cases as they thought they would).

Not mad though. Last year's Rollercoaster was disappointing.

D & M has the regular release in store now. I picked up a couple from them.

Originally Posted by divitius
I know this is probably futile, but does anyone happen to know an online source that might still have some Cragganmore distiller's edition? Nobody seems to have any anywhere...

Did you not try Googling it? There are probably fifty different places you can buy it from...

divitius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama

Did you not try Googling it? There are probably fifty different places you can buy it from...

Yeah...lots have it listed, but when I try to order it and it's never actually in stock.
frown.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Glennfiddich Snow Phoenix whiskey yet? I know, it's a bit gimmicky, but you gotta hand it to the folks at Glennfiddich, what a way to turn a near disaster into a pretty cool and intriguing marketing pitch..

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Glennfiddich Snow Phoenix whiskey yet? I know, it's a bit gimmicky, but you gotta hand it to the folks at Glennfiddich, what a way to turn a near disaster into a pretty cool and intriguing marketing pitch..

I bought one, but I haven't opened it yet. The reviews I've seen haven't been glowing.

Kyoung05

Reaction score

Originally Posted by ama
I bought one, but I haven't opened it yet. The reviews I've seen haven't been glowing.

I've tried some - a friend of mine bought two bottles because they were supposed to be "special limited releases." It was my first time trying anything from Glennfiddich, and I haven't tried many Speysides in general, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought it was pretty enjoyable - very fruity on the nose, some spice, and very subtle wood/peat. That said, I certainly don't think it was worth the $100 or so he paid per bottle. My other experiences with Speysides have been Macallan, and for the money, I think I prefer the Macallan 15.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would the scotch experts recommend for a scotch newbie? Say $60 tops? I am a beer geek and don't have any experience with any other alcohol's but have always wanted to give whiskey a shot.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
What would the scotch experts recommend for a scotch newbie? Say $60 tops? I am a beer geek and don't have any experience with any other alcohol's but have always wanted to give whiskey a shot.
I'm not a scotch expert but, IMO... Talisker...Not a peat monster, not a sugar daddy. Or GlenMorangie--a good Highland malt. Anything over 12 years old in either of those two. YMMV

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
I'm not a scotch expert but, IMO...

Talisker...Not a peat monster, not a sugar daddy.

Or GlenMorangie--a good Highland malt.

Anything over 12 years old in either of those two.

YMMV

Thanks for the suggestions I will look into those. Is it a bad sign if I did not enjoy Glenfiddich 12 year?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
Thanks for the suggestions I will look into those. Is it a bad sign if I did not enjoy Glenfiddich 12 year?
I don't know if it is a "bad sign"...I didn't enjoy the Glenfiddich when I tried it early on in my malt journey, either. But it might be a sign that you need to re-think your expectations. Or it might be a sign that you need to add a small amount of water to yer dram. Let it sit a moment or two and then sip slowly....make a shot last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads