• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on penny loafers

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so penny loafers and jeans are a go?

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I have a pair of cordovan Rider penny loafers that I like to wear with slim mushroom colored trousers and various odd jackets. Not my most versatile shoe, but perfect for certain casual situations.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
i'm sure others will disagree, but i think this generally looks douchey/old man-ish. a driving moc is a much better option.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
i'm sure others will disagree, but i think this generally looks douchey/old man-ish. a driving moc is a much better option.
I think it depends on the shoes and jeans in question.

ThePetros

Reaction score
What I see time and time again on SF is people think that there are style rules that are set in stone- there aren't.

As for the quandary with the penny loafer. You can have quite a bit of fun with it, if used properly.

No, they are not a good idea with a dark (almost black) and formal suits. However, they frequently look excellent on summer weight, light colored and cotton/linen suits. For many summer functions, they very easily work well with these suits. On the other hand, they rarely- if ever- are appropriate for the business setting.

Furthermore, it seems like the trends is to downplay the formality of dress (knit ties being popular, as well as the button-down collars even in the business world). Maybe loafers are along those same lines. Sometimes you have to trust your own judgement on the matter.

Lastly, the penny loafer is certainly not a fashion forward shoe. Many on this thread have even deemed it an "old man shoe". I tend to disagree, it's just a shoe that has stood the test of time- along with the cap-toe and wing-tip oxford. The fashion forward man might opt for a driver, which I agreed look better on a younger man. However, drivers are significantly more casual. They seem a bit more difficult to put together in a suit outfit. But again, the rules tend to bend with summer functions.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn

With well fitting jeans yes.

Originally Posted by aphextwin07

Driving mocs are for driving and not for walking long distances. They do not have the support or durability needed for long walks.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Driving mocs are for driving and not for walking long distances. They do not have the support or durability needed for long walks.

Definitely. Tods in particular will wear out with a quickness on pavement.

And on that note, I just Mac'd up my Alden #8 shell loafers, and I give them a massive thumbs up.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have many pairs of suede tassel loafers but I can't get myself to wear penny loafers,they just didn't look right to me. I like the BB or Alden shell loafers but don't like them on my feet
confused.gif

thesecondprize

Reaction score
I have a pair of penny loafers in my regular rotation. I wear them almost exclusively with jeans, and pair them with just about anything on the top. I think penny loafers can be a fashion forward look - assuming they're of a more modern, "European" styling than, say, Weejuns. I'm 26.

HERCULES

Reaction score
So what are some good penny loafers? I thought about getting the Peal and Co. brown penny loafers during the 25% off sale but decided against it. I have also been thinking about Alden penny loafers.

dk123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hansw18
Rider, in Richmond for the week and just picked these up on sale. Love 'em.

IMG_0638 by hansw1814, on Flickr

IMG_0637 by hansw1814, on Flickr

What is the fit like for you on these? I ordered the same/similar pair on Amazon recently, in a 9.5. (I normally wear 9.5-10 in US sizes). They are too big, but I can't decide if it's worth trying a half size down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads