• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

tone76

Reaction score
How long has STP shown pricing in AUD? I clicked on today's DealFlyer and I noticed all the pricing is showing up in AUD. That's a nice touch.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Bottom button thing... Only remind your friends. Also there is etiquette to it: You have to be discreet as not to embarrass your friend in public. The key is to not to draw any attention to the fact that his bottom button is done up: 1. Put your arm around him as to say 'Aye how's it going, mate!' 2. With your free hand reach down and slowly unbutton his bottom button - sudden movements draw attention. 3. Should your friend ask what you are doing, quietly tell him the truth about the button as one should always be honest with friends: "I can't take this any longer." 4. Friend will acknowledge the fact that he has committed a faux pas and fall into silent agreement, allowing you to finish (unbuttoning your friends clothes?).
sounds a bit gay

ewc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Bottom button thing... Only remind your friends.

Also there is etiquette to it:

You have to be discreet as not to embarrass your friend in public. The key is to not to draw any attention to the fact that his bottom button is done up:

1. Put your arm around him as to say 'Aye how's it going, mate!'
2. With your free hand reach down and slowly unbutton his bottom button - sudden movements draw attention.
3. Should your friend ask what you are doing, quietly tell him the truth about the button as one should always be honest with friends: "I can't take this any longer."
4. Friend will acknowledge the fact that he has committed a faux pas and fall into silent agreement, allowing you to finish.

What do you do when you notice your friend's fly is undone?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimbosaurus
Has anyone got some experience with Brooks Brothers chinos or other pants? $50 shipping is a bit much but I'm pretty keen on getting some better chinos and with the sale atm it works out to be pretty reasonable. Not a fan of the quality of CR ones I've got and most other brands here don't seem to offer a cut that is 'slim'. Wool flannel trousers for $110 are kinda tempting aswell.

I've got quite a few pairs of Brooks Brothers chinos and other cotton trousers.
The "Milano" fit is the slimmest, and it is quite slim although thankfully not as slim as the "two eggs in a nest" example above!

During one of their sales a few months back, I picked up some summer trousers in green, orange, bright red and light blue and a pair of patch madras trousers to boot. They've been a great hit at work. Curiously, the patch madras are the slimmest, even though they are all, ostensibly, the same style (Milano).

They are well made, with taped seams and additional material for expansion, if necessary.

If you buy quite a few pairs, it helps make the shipping sound more reasonable, too.

I also have a few pairs of Land's End chinos - "Men's Regular Plain Front Tailored Fit Legacy Chino Pants".

They are actually slightly slimmer than the Brooks Brothers version (but wearable) and whilst they are of cheaper construction (no additional fabric to let out, for example), they look damned good for casual wear. I'm wearing a "light khaki" pair right now, along with a navy polo shirt and a pair of plain canvas sneakers. Very comfortable, very nice, excellent price and if you don't like them you can send them back to an Australian return address.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by regis169
Anybody know a store in Sydney that stocks DSquared2?

Voi has some of their ties.

jas0nt

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a suit from Herringbone. Should I bother checking out the warehouse at Surrey Hills? I have a 20% company discount that I can use on non-sale items

elvish

Reaction score
does anyone know of a place that sells 13inch laptop leather cases? I have an Apple macbook pro if that helps/changes your advice.

I tried Hunt but I am not really into parting with $350 for a sleeve.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a few drinks last night decided to go for a walk around Crown Complex. Saw Harrolds having some sale at the moment. 30 - 70% off (or was that 30% to 50% off? Bit drunk to remember.) At that time the place is closed and all I could see was the Pal Zileri in the window has a 50% off tag on it? What are the prices like at Harrolds during sales?

Also I friend of mine got given a brand new Burberry suit which was acquired for $50 ($50!! A 46/36R at that too!!) in Sydney somewhere. Anyone aware of any sort of weird clearance sale going on over there?

__PG__

Reaction score
At Harrolds, 50% means Pal Zileri for about $1200, Corneliani and Caruso for about $1400. I have no idea what price the Brioni/Tom Ford/Kiton sells for at 50% (indeed...do they even discount it)...as its beyond my price range anyway.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the budget being delivered I see it's time for this horse to be flogged again http://www.smh.com.au/business/tax-o...508-1eeay.html And I note that the offender is one the ALP right union heavies, probably looking for good PR after the recent debacle in NSW.

Smudge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elvish
does anyone know of a place that sells 13inch laptop leather cases? I have an Apple macbook pro if that helps/changes your advice. I tried Hunt but I am not really into parting with $350 for a sleeve.
I got a smart (albeit faux) leather case for my 13" MB Air from an unlikely place: Typo (www.typoshop.com.au). It gets lots of comments and only cost $30 from memory. They might have something similar for the MBP.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Anyone been to the Ken Barrell sale in Melbourne? Walked past the place today and saw signs advertising up to 70% off.

May swing past today, if so I'll report back on what I find.

Re Nialma and TM fabrics it is a go for 4 for $450. However be advised this is an introductory offer, after which all TM shirts are $150USD which makes it what? around $50AUD these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads