• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joemero
What do you all think about these shoes Florsheim Imperial ? I have a $100 store credit at Mens Wearhouse and thought these might be a good buy. I havent owned Florsheims before, and am not certain about the slightly square toe. I would wear these with suits. Thanks
The Florsheim Imperials of old were great shoes, and if you can get a vintage made in USA pair you won't go wrong. Contemporary Florsheims are not up to par. Consider Allen Edmonds from Mens Warehouse to use your credit on shoes.
Originally Posted by Booter
Classic 2B navy blazer: RL "green label" @ $49 (on sale) OR Jos. A Bank @ $10 (Goodwill, condition=very good)? Gun to your head.
Vintage JAB was perfectly servicable. If it's 10 years old or less I'd opt for the RL.
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Wondering what sort of knot works best for knit ties. Is it FOH? Something else?
I always use a Four in hand for a knit tie.
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Google the local thrift stores in your area. If you visit them once a week, in about a month, you'll be up to your collar in Brooks Brothers, Liberty of London, Zenga, and with a little luck, perhaps a Borelli or Brioni to cap it off. Usually 2 bucks each but sometimes 3 or 4. Try to stick to simple, classic designs and moderate widths.
x2. There's nothing wrong with a used quality tie and it's certainly preferable to a new garbage tie. Think of it as recycling.
Originally Posted by ultimaz
Does this outfit work? Charcoal stripe suit with oxford blue striped shirt and navy bow tie. Stripes are of different widths and spacing. Thanks in advance.
Sounds reasonable. Pics?

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
No, Incotex, Mabitex or Epaulet.

canali, bloomingdale's and sak's brand wool trousers are good the latter store brand is better imo.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do crockett & jones hallams (348 last) run true to size? i am a uk 8.5 in church's, trickers 4497... should be the same in C&J?
thanks a lot

(i did try a search.. )

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by payoffwizard
How's the quality of tiebar.com ties? I'm looking for cheaper ties as my budget prevents me from spending $75+ per tie, as much as I feel I should build with hogh quality staples.

There's a whole thread devoted to that question. Search titles.

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
canali, bloomingdale's and sak's brand wool trousers are good the latter store brand is better imo.

I have two pair of Nordstrom's brand flat front wool trousers. The simplicity in style and quality is quite nice. I can't comment on the quality in comparison to other brands.

franz_sanchez

Reaction score
I was looking at dress pants. What is the big difference in quality and construction between differently priced pants? If you were to take a pair of Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss and Canali dress pants what would be the difference in quality and construction. What would make the more expensive Canali pants any better.

Mac

Reaction score
I'm looking for a patent leather oxford dress shoe (for black tie) in a UK size 12.5 or 13. My budget is around £400.

I have found a pair of Tom Ford shoes in a US 13/EU 46 but fear these may be a little too tight and/or small. Moreover, does anyone know if Tom Ford's shoes in a US size 13/EU 46, correlate to a UK 12.5?

Any other ideas?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by payoffwizard
How's the quality of tiebar.com ties? I'm looking for cheaper ties as my budget prevents me from spending $75+ per tie, as much as I feel I should build with hogh quality staples.

They're OK - but nothing stunning. The knots look good and the silks are decent.

You may also try trolling eBay for second hand ties in staple patterns by high-quality makers. You can pick up classic styles for pennies on the dollar.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kensington
Does Sebago boat shoes have the same sizing as Sperry?

Very similar, if not identical, IIRC.

utexas

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what "3/4 placket" means? I've also seen the numbers "3/2" thrown around in the context of suits. I'm new to this and can't think of the right terms to search for on google. Many thanks.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by utexas
Can someone explain to me what "3/4 placket" means? I've also seen the numbers "3/2" thrown around in the context of suits. I'm new to this and can't think of the right terms to search for on google. Many thanks.

3/2 is the buttons. Many classic jackets have 3 buttons but the 3rd is rolled under the lapel so you only see the bottom 2 buttons. You can see the top button hole on the lapel like here

IMG_7854.JPG

IsteRed

Reaction score
hello everyone i took a look at mens wearhouse and i like ae lombard they have,also their buy 1 get 1 50% off also seems kind of a good deal, but i've never heard anything about them,is their site legit if so are aes sold there seconds or something?because their prices are very good and that made me suspicious,anyone bought aes from them?how is it?

van_hammersly

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can wash a 100% cotton blazer in a washing machine without destroying it? A little shrinkage would be fine, I'm just worried about destroying it as the tag says dry clean only.

The jacket is a brooks brothers 100% cotton twill blazer, the material is fairly thick / heavy. The interior is lined with what looks like chambray, sleeves are lined with polyester. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads