• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turning a 3-Button suit into a 2-Button suit...

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
i just got a great suit, zegna couture for a great price, however one problem, it is 3 buttons.
it looks good but i am more a fan of the 2-button look

how much of a job is it for a tailor to turn in into a 2-button suit? what would it involve? i imagine just pressing the suit and taking away a button but these things always turn out more complicated...

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
i just got a great suit, zegna couture for a great price, however one problem, it is 3 buttons.

how much of a job is it for a tailor to turn in into a 2-button suit? what would it involve? i imagine just pressing the suit and taking away a button but these things always turn out more complicated...

Good Lord.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the whole lapel is structured to roll at a certain point. Is it a true 3 button or 3 roll 2?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in terms of complexity and attention to detail, this has be up there with a sex change

GradSchooler

Reaction score
I have a 3 button sport jacket that has morphed into a 3-roll-2.5 over time. That's probably the best you could hope for.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Exactly what do you plan to do about the vestigial top button hole when you remove the button?

It's a whole lot easier to turn a two button into a three than the reverse.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See if you can press or steam the lapel into a 3 roll 2.5 or a 3 roll 2.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Exactly what do you plan to do about the vestigial top button hole when you remove the button?

It's a whole lot easier to turn a two button into a three than the reverse.

there new lapel should hide it!!!

i have seen a few jackets on here that are 3 button but the top one doesnt seem to function and it is considered 2 button if that makes an ounce of sense...

Lightbringer

Reaction score
there new lapel should hide it!!!

i have seen a few jackets on here that are 3 button but the top one doesnt seem to function and it is considered 2 button if that makes an ounce of sense...

I don't understand this at all... are you talking about a 3-roll-2?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you walk around like this you should be fine.

vintage_portrait_of_a_proud_man_wearing_a_suit_1050908.jpg

lefty

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turning pants into a skirt - how much difficult is this?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Impossible

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads