• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

some alteration questions

intfxdx

Reaction score
hi, i recently brought some clothes for tailoring. I have a couple of questions, if someone can give me some answer, i appreciate helps.

1. Suit pants are hemmed and cuffed but she also put hemming band which makes a good quantity of weight, do you think that i should ask her to take them off ? or it won't change a lot ? I guess when there are cuffs no need for hemming band, correct ?

2. Suit jacket sleeves are slanted, when i have my hands at the side, it's evident that it's not straight, if i move my hands to the front it becomes straight, that means they are too much slanted ?

3. For shirts, she used another stitching, as the shirt is plain white, it's not visible, but is it a sign of bad tailoring ? Original stitching is small and fine, what she did is a little bit larger.

4. I've made tailored 2 shirts, 1RLBL, 1RLPL, they have same sleeve lengths and it's very nice when i don't wear suit jacket but when i put the suit jacket RLPL cuffs are very nicely seen under jacket, but RLBL is not visible at all, why this is so ?

Thanks.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intfxdx
3. For shirts, she used another stitching, as the shirt is plain white, it's not visible, but is it a sign of bad tailoring ? Original stitching is small and fine, what she did is a little bit larger.

As long as it's not visible top-stitching I don't see why it needs to be identical to the existing stitching.

intfxdx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
As long as it's not visible top-stitching I don't see why it needs to be identical to the existing stitching.

Sorry for my bad english, i mean as both are white it's hard to notice but still it's noticeable. I guess a tailor should be able to replicate every stitching, or it's not correct ? I have still a lot of shirts to be tailored so i hesitate to bring them to her again.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my bad english, i mean as both are white it's hard to notice but still it's noticeable. I guess a tailor should be able to replicate every stitching, or it's not correct ? I have still a lot of shirts to be tailored so i hesitate to bring them to her again.

A shorter stitch-length is just a matter of turning a dial on the sewing machine, no it's not exactly a matter of being 'able to'. The question is, if the stitching is not visible externally, why bother?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi, i recently brought some clothes for tailoring. I have a couple of questions, if someone can give me some answer, i appreciate helps.

1. Suit pants are hemmed and cuffed but she also put hemming band which makes a good quantity of weight, do you think that i should ask her to take them off ? or it won't change a lot ? I guess when there are cuffs no need for hemming band, correct ?

Thanks.

Not sure what you actually mean but if it is a piece of tape or even the same cloth at the heel inside the trouser bottom then ignore it. There is no weight and it will do no harm.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

2. Suit jacket sleeves are slanted, when i have my hands at the side, it's evident that it's not straight, if i move my hands to the front it becomes straight, that means they are too much slanted ?

4. I've made tailored 2 shirts, 1RLBL, 1RLPL, they have same sleeve lengths and it's very nice when i don't wear suit jacket but when i put the suit jacket RLPL cuffs are very nicely seen under jacket, but RLBL is not visible at all, why this is so ?

Thanks.

that tape is to take up the wear on the bottom. the picture submitted shows a very bad job.
the tape does not match the trouser color. looks very mickey mouse.
the tape was installed improperly. it should protect the bottom from wear. this will not as shown.

sleeves should slant, but should have the same angle as the original finish.

she can adjust her machine to match the stitch length. but the same thread may not available to her, that will make a difference she cant help.

the shirt may have deep armholes. the suit armholes may be higher and push up the shirt sleeves. the shirts should be matched up to the suit. could the suit sleeves be too long?

intfxdx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
that tape is to take up the wear on the bottom. the picture submitted shows a very bad job.
the tape does not match the trouser color. looks very mickey mouse.
the tape was installed improperly. it should protect the bottom from wear. this will not as shown.

sleeves should slant, but should have the same angle as the original finish.

she can adjust her machine to match the stitch length. but the same thread may not available to her, that will make a difference she cant help.

the shirt may have deep armholes. the suit armholes may be higher and push up the shirt sleeves. the shirts should be matched up to the suit. could the suit sleeves be too long?

Thanks a tailor for the precise answers ! Yes the RLBL shirt has normal length and same as RLPL when worn without jacket. I guess for next time i will ask to make them 2cm (1") longer but it's going to make sleeves too long when unworn.. suit sleeves are fine, they are not so long, they are fine with RLPL shirt but not rlbl shirt.. but it seems that it's question of armholes as RLBL has higher armholes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads