• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your opinion on some body types dont look good muscular

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kinda going through an identity issue here. I use to be a normal/skinny guy which I didn't mind, 5'7 145lbs or so. I did some bodybuilding stuff back then, a usually 3 day split scheme and really felt great about my body. I then got into Olympic Weightlifting which I loved but the past year or so it's caused some large muscle gains in my back/deltoids/traps/leggs/and especially ass. The past year absolutely nothing has fit me right, when I started I was wearing a size 29 in APC NS and I have slowly moved up to a size 32 APC NS. Looking back at pictures 3 years ago I think I look better, clothes seem to fit me better. It's a weird thing, you would think gaining a bunch of muscle would be awesome... A friend told me yesterday after explaining to him my frustration and he said Yea, that it sorta doesn't fit my small frame.

dom999

Reaction score
looking good > muscles guy

i think girls dont dig the rly muscular guys, because at some point it just looks incredibly stupid (no offense .. well ok maybe a little). It doesnt mean stop working out, just change your training plan, more cardio less weights etc.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yea, I agree. Well the good thing it will be easy to get back to a low body fat %. Just start running, cut the squats, and continue with upper body work. Looking forward to not having a bigger ass than most the girls I date. LOL

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
seriously though, heed my warning: Olympic lifting gives you a huge ass / hips. If you already have a bubble but like I did before I start out make sure you are okay with having this before you start the sport.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly if you are below 6'0 you probably dont look good muscular unless you are proportioned very well. Im just barely 5'10 and I look so short and stocky when Im muscular.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldsnap
Yea, I agree. Well the good thing it will be easy to get back to a low body fat %. Just start running, cut the squats, and continue with upper body work. Looking forward to not having a bigger ass than most the girls I date. LOL

So your plan is to stop training your lower body? Doesn't sound like much of a plan. Even if you want to slim down, still train your legs.

Looking forward to not having a bigger ass than most the girls I date. LOL

I don't think many women want to date a guy skinnier than them, but I could be wrong.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The mesomorphic physique of a slim waist, broad shoulders and muscular chest are often found to be attractive.[25] A near-universal sexually attractive feature of a man is a v-shaped torso: a relatively narrow waist offset with broad shoulders. While some cultures prefer their males huskier and others leaner, the rule of a v-shaped torso generally holds true. Consistently, men with a waist-to-shoulder ratio of 0.75 or lower are viewed as considerably more attractive than men with more even waists and shoulders.[26] A degree of hirsuteness (hairyness) and a waist-to-shoulder ratio of 0.6 is often preferred, when combined with a mesomorphic physique.[27]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physica...nd_muscularity

alexanduh

Reaction score
just stay nice and lean. muscular if you are quite tall. imo so long as you arent fat your all good.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a similar problem. Haven't worn a suit in 3 years. In that time I've gone from a 140lbs (38R) and now I am sitting at about 196lbs. Tried my first suit last week for my wedding and I'm now a 44R with a 32" waist. The suit makes me look even bigger than I am. Considering my Fiance weighs just about 100lbs we look like David and Goliath. Clothing is really hard to find. I can't find a dress shirt where my biceps fit. Everything looks like it is painted on in my size.

Clothing looks better on the skinny guy, but the muscular guy looks better without clothing. I guess it's a pick your poison type of thing.

As for losing weight diet is everything. Currently in a cut to get back to 10% BF (am at 16% now and feeling very fat) and am doing very little cardio, high impact low intensity.

Did you put on all muscle or BF? Three inches in your waist in a year seems like a lot for one year.

gwolf

Reaction score
guys like skinny w/ ********

girls like lean swimmer builds w/ big dicks

innerstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by demeis
Clothing looks better on the skinny guy, but the muscular guy looks better without clothing. I guess it's a pick your poison type of thing.

I wouldn't generalize and say clothing always look better if you are skinny. Showing off skinny arms is not something guys shoot for. There's different degrees of muscularity, I wouldn't lump them all together. The huge look where your proportions are majorly changed which seems to be what the OP is describing is hard to pull off for most people, short people especially since it makes you look wider.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by innerstyle
I wouldn't generalize and say clothing always look better if you are skinny. Showing off skinny arms is not something guys shoot for. There's different degrees of muscularity, I wouldn't lump them all together. The huge look where your proportions are majorly changed which seems to be what the OP is describing is hard to pull off for most people, short people especially since it makes you look wider.

Sorry should have made it more clear that wasn't a serious statement I made.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, I agree. Well the good thing it will be easy to get back to a low body fat %. L

Eh?

Are you saying you're carrying muscle or fat? Maybe you just need to cut some?

The other issue not mentioned is you likely should try different brands.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my look was much more palpable to more women ~20-30lb ago

Clothes look better on skinny people + are cut more for skinny people

But fugg it

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
I think my look was much more palpable to more women ~20-30lb ago

Clothes look better on skinny people + are cut more for skinny people

But fugg it

I disagree with the latter statement. I'm a skinny dude (6'1" and 140 lbs) and most mall-brand clothing is way too boxy on me. I'd say most mainstream clothes are tailored for the average build person (5'10" and 175 lbs).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads