• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basic question about shirt studs

khayes

Reaction score
For a wedding tux.

1. Is onyx vs mother of pearl for studs a matter of personal preference? Is one more appropriate than the other?

2. How many are typically used?

3. What other similar options can I consider?

Thanks.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
I would say that it is a matter of personal preference, although I favour black studs (of whatever composition) as I can then keep the MoP studs for white tie. I usually think the fewer studs the better, but that will largely be dictated by your shirts. My vintage shirts take 2-3 studs generally. If by similar options you mean different materials for studs, there are a number of choices if you can find them. I knew a chap at university, for instance, who wore diamond studs with white tie (I could only ever aspire to paste, unfortunately), but you can also find enamel, glass, smoked MoP, cultured pearl, and so on.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
because cummerbunds and often vests are out of style new sets come with 4 studs
older sets have 3.
very old pique bib shirts sometimes only had two holes

if in nyc go to missinglinknyc.com
Michael has great stuff

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1. Yes, but I think onyx looks better as there's more contrast with the white shirt. I will soon be selling a reversible onyx and white MOP stud set, so you'll have both! 2. Three. I think the history behind it is that shirts used to have only three studs but stud sets were sold in sets of four with the extra as a spare, but then some fools thought that meant shirts should have four stud holes. Also, have you looked at Black Tie Guide?

khayes

Reaction score
When will you start selling these? Do you have any pics of how yours will look?

Doc4

Reaction score
I think some will tell you that onyx is better for black tie and MOP better for white tie, but IMHO it's more a personal preference thing ... me pefering MOP for either as I like to keep the white of the shirt "V" as uncluttered as possible beneath the bowtie; the onyx studs would stand out too much.

Personal preference.

You can probably also find silver studs, which would be fine, or any sort of oddball niche studs, but I'd stay away from anything that veers away from the "white-black-silver" colour pallete of semi/formal wear. (As much as I love lapis lazuli, for example, I'd have to turn down a lapis stud set.)

Originally Posted by Kent Wang
... but then some fools thought that meant shirts should have four stud holes.

So now you NEED four studs.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somethingclever
'Cept on some Eton shirts bra.

Sho' 'nuff, bra!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
So now you NEED four studs.
On bad shirts. You can still get shirts with three studs, such as my pique tuxedo shirt. I think two stud shirts are almost impossible to find now.
Originally Posted by khayes
When will you start selling these? Do you have any pics of how yours will look?
About six weeks. They'll be like my MOP and onyx cuff links, except round of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads