• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I've spent so much on cigar **** that I got no money for clothes (not that I need any but still).

So you're living right at (or beyond) your means? Or do you only budget a certain amount for entertainment/clothing each month?

It would be interesting to learn how many clothing/fashion enthusiasts here have little to no money left after spending their latest paycheck on clothing. I have noticed it is very common for buyers of stuff in my for sale thread to ask if I can hold something until their payday, leading me to believe many here live at the highest lifestyle they can currently afford.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Usa! Usa! Usa!

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best is when college kids are hawking carpe, rick, dior, etc to make rent, due to 'financial strain', or some ****. I just shake my head.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
So you're living right at (or beyond) your means? Or do you only budget a certain amount for entertainment/clothing each month?

It would be interesting to learn how many clothing/fashion enthusiasts here have little to no money left after spending their latest paycheck on clothing. I have noticed it is very common for buyers of stuff in my for sale thread to ask if I can hold something until their payday, leading me to believe many here live at the highest lifestyle they can currently afford.

You are right once again, why do you think I wear hanes tees?

Oasis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
The best is when college kids are hawking carpe, rick, dior, etc to make rent, due to 'financial strain', or some ****. I just shake my head.

Yeah. I live close and at times beyond my means (by beyond I mean beyond current means, I wouldn't buy something I simply couldn't afford atall but if I could put it on a credit card and pay it off or whatever I might consider it) but people trying to sell high end designer wear to pay rent/eat/survive is nuts.
laugh.gif

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i think it's impossible to be in college and live "within your means" unless you define that term very loosely.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that a lot of the college-aged people on here and SuFu were more the benefactors of parents with fat wallets rather than schmucks running up huge credit card debt.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
i think it's impossible to be in college and live "within your means" unless you define that term very loosely.
Sure, and I've done some dumb **** in school re: money (usually buying weed in stupid large amounts only to have leeches smoke it all haha), but it just seems crazy to splurge on 'balla' items only to flip it a few months later in the same forum. sufu's marketplace, and to a lesser extent, stylezeitgiest, were pretty bad for this IME. I wonder what it is about those kinds of labels that attracts such disproportionate spending.

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember some guy was saying he was using his student loans to buy expensive designer stuff. Many facepalms were had.

This is all really funny considering you can look good without spending thousands of dollars on clothes. And, of course, you can look really bad even when you're wearing expensive designer clothes.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Yea. I mean, it's hard to have a bunch of spare income while in college since you generally are not making money. I mean, i can see people with scholarship/loan money paying for school/rent and then part time job paying for clothes/booze I dunno. People can do what they want imo. Hope people aren't putting themselves in jeopardy at least but doesn't affect me other than people needing to sell nice clothes for cheaper when they need money. Can't complain about that

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I, for one, welcome your student loans
devil.gif

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Yea. I mean, it's hard to have a bunch of spare income while in college since you generally are not making money. I mean, i can see people with scholarship/loan money paying for school/rent and then part time job paying for clothes/booze

I dunno. People can do what they want imo. Hope people aren't putting themselves in jeopardy at least but doesn't affect me other than people needing to sell nice clothes for cheaper when they need money. Can't complain about that

Originally Posted by APK
I was always under the impression that a lot of the college-aged people on here and SuFu were more the benefactors of parents with fat wallets rather than schmucks running up huge credit card debt.

Sure, and I've done some dumb **** in school re: money (usually buying weed in stupid large amounts only to have leeches smoke it all haha), but it just seems crazy to splurge on 'balla' items only to flip it a few months later in the same forum. sufu's marketplace, and to a lesser extent, stylezeitgiest, were pretty bad for this IME. I wonder what it is about those kinds of labels that attracts such disproportionate spending.
Damn macuser you started it up again...
i don't think i'm qualified to speak for anyone else but to me those guys that buy it then flip it are the smart ones. why hold onto clothes? i never sell my personal stuff after i've worn it and now i have a bunch of **** here that i hardly use yet cost me a ton of money. that's partially cause i get bored very quickly.

i think most of the college aged people on here are benefactors of their parents. i certainly am. i dont even have a credit card
blush.gif

it's also wrong to think that other people having credit card debt doesn't affect you. it's a problem for the nation, not just the individual.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

it's also wrong to think that other people having credit card debt doesn't affect you. it's a problem for the nation, not just the individual.

That's great and all, but tell that to Cletus, who graduated from a state school, has a wife and 4 kids, and puts his 3D LED TVs and Dodge Ram **** on his cc, and walks with $50K on his card because he knows he's gonna die sometime anyway.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know a lot of people don't even want to broach the subject, but I'm genuinely curious here: are these college-aged benefactors just using credit cards that mom and dad pay for or are they actually getting like an "allowance" to fund these designer purchases?

I don't come from a poor background, but the above is just foreign territory for me. I've gotten financial help from my mom over the years for things such as groceries or car repairs, but that's mostly because she appreciates me funding my entire college education and living on my own midway through college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads