• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DJackson

Reaction score
Before I got my Stowa I was looking at Doxa as well. Even more so I was looking at mkii, I love some of their designs and they also will let you build & order your own watch which is pretty cool.

This morning I was poking around to see what vintage Seamster 300's are going for and
ffffuuuu.gif
too many fakes out there. Long story short I found this top 20 list of poor man's watches on the Poor Man's Watch Forum. list. Seems to be an actively managed list and it has a few categories so there are actually way more than 20 watches to look at.

ewc

Reaction score
Great thread, just read through from page 1. Really love hose vintage watches deveandeopt1 posted - especially the Pobeda on page 30. How reliable (in the sense that it'll work - I'm not too fussed if it's out by however many seconds a day) is one I buy on eBay likely to be? Looking at this one or similar. Seems perfect, if a little well loved. I'm looking for something with an automatic movement, as simple as possible and not too big (6" wrists). Stainless steel case, light coloured face. Thin bezel. Under $150. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ewc
Great thread, just read through from page 1.

Really love hose vintage watches deveandeopt1 posted - especially the Pobeda on page 30. How reliable (in the sense that it'll work - I'm not too fussed if it's out by however many seconds a day) is one I buy on eBay likely to be? Looking at this one or similar.

Seems perfect, if a little well loved.

I'm looking for something with an automatic movement, as simple as possible and not too big (6" wrists). Stainless steel case, light coloured face. Thin bezel. Under $150. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

Parnis or Seagull
bigstar[1].gif

ewc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Parnis or Seagull
bigstar[1].gif

I really like some of the Parnis watches I've come across, but they're all in excess of 43mm - I could be wrong, but that might look dumb on my tiny little girl wrists. I've had a look at the Sea Gulls as well. The M149S falls within my price range, but I think it might be a bit busy in the face for my liking, and the bezel a bit too thick. I've come across the same problem with Seiko 5s. I guess I should same I'm after a Bauhaus-y, minimalist design. Think Stowa and Junghans but on a starving student budget.
smile.gif

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ewc
I really like some of the Parnis watches I've come across, but they're all in excess of 43mm - I could be wrong, but that might look dumb on my tiny little girl wrists.

I've had a look at the Sea Gulls as well. The M149S falls within my price range, but I think it might be a bit busy in the face for my liking, and the bezel a bit too thick. I've come across the same problem with Seiko 5s.

I guess I should same I'm after a Bauhaus-y, minimalist design. Think Stowa and Junghans but on a starving student budget.
smile.gif

How thick are you thinking?

ewc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
How thick are you thinking?
Something like the Parnis Portugese is probably as thick as I'd want it in terms of bezel:dial, but I don't want to exaggerate how big a deal it is. The 3-4mm difference isn't going to be very noticeable when it's on my wrist, but thinner is nicer.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my new Seagull 1963 yesterday. Wow, what an amazing watch! While the watch itself is great, I was not particularly happy with the NATO strap. Too busy and complicated, and I was not a fan of the color. So, I went ahead and bought a nice dark brown crocodile leather strap. I could not be happier! I'm not really sure the Seagull is necessarily a dress watch, but I think it straddles the line, especially with the chronometer. So, I think I've found a new "business casual" watch favorite, with the dark brown strap.
5694793410_68d7e1d319_z.jpg
5694234089_1c71189a65_z.jpg
5694230383_abbe036b54_z.jpg

Flartchy

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I bought a throwaway "CTI" watch on ebay for $20 because I wanted a mechanical watch with no date. When I got it, it looked like somebody had wiped her butt on the face before assembling it. Literally there was a brown smear on it and the numerals were all crooked.

Now CTI watches are going for $180?? WTF

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linkinwayne
^ Looks really nice with that dark brown strap. Good pop of colours.

Thank you. It looks surprisingly dressy -- I probably won't wear it with a conservative business dress, but definitely when I'm wearing khakis or jeans and a sport coat.

gwolf

Reaction score
vintage Seamster 300's

this is a seriously nice vintage sports watch. how much do they go for? i might buy, not a pmw actually, today a 36mm railmaster... just one left in the ad.

I guess I should same I'm after a Bauhaus-y, minimalist design. Think Stowa and Junghans but on a starving student budget.

skagen for bauhaus?

mondaine for minimalist?

gomestar i have the same watch! it's actually my number 1 rec for a pmw. i put mine though on a bond nato with red olive navy like the one in the actual bond flicks...

swoll50

Reaction score
Pricing on the Sea Gull 1963 site shows $329 + $17 shipping, but I keep seeing people say they paid about $200 shipped for them.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chico2007
WoW!!!!!!!
Thank you.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by swoll50
Pricing on the Sea Gull 1963 site shows $329 + $17 shipping, but I keep seeing people say they paid about $200 shipped for them.
The Seagull 1963 website no longer carries them. I got mine for a little over $200 with shipping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads