• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pork Jowl

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I bought one of these today on a whim. What the hell do I do with it? Not a cheek. A jowl.

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Guanciale.

And then pasta carbonara.

You could braise it and serve with confit onions and polenta as an alternative. Spike the onions with fennel seed and the braise with a touch of orange.

Not sure that a jowl is different from a cheek.

B

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carnitas

And I hope it came from a Berkshire pig. You're the only other one on here that I know who enjoys berkshire pork.

Although I bet impolyt orders that at the katsu places.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
You're the only other one on here that I know who enjoys berkshire pork.

I like it I just don't know how to get it except through the mail.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I like it I just don't know how to get it except through the mail.

+1. Mail or restaurants.

braised

Reaction score
Carnitas

And I hope it came from a Berkshire pig. You're the only other one on here that I know who enjoys berkshire pork.

Although I bet impolyt orders that at the katsu places.

Berkshire is passe, you need tamworth or glouster old spots to play with the cool kids and be really retro. Even old Sameul Johnson was fond and commented 'Old tamworth, I knew him well".

B
wink.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another fairly incredible pork experience is cooking with an iberian pig. You can get meat now from the internet... any cut. Very flavorful... really should be on menus but rarely is. Have seen it at Sage.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another fairly incredible pork experience is cooking with an iberian pig. You can get meat now from the internet... any cut. Very flavorful... really should be on menus but rarely is. Have seen it at Sage.
In noticed that when I went to the Williams Sonoma page to look at these pans you are all talking about. Where else is it available?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
In noticed that when I went to the Williams Sonoma page to look at these pans you are all talking about. Where else is it available?
There's some US importer of Spanish products... I think they specialize in jamon. I don't remember the website... but I ordered once and the meat is very good. You can just see it on the website... marbling, color... everything is excellent.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Guanciale.

Mmm, the magic bacon. I bet FG can give a recipe or that Ruhlman's basic bacon recipe will work.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't understand that, what is the beef between the US and Spanish pigs? I've eaten Iberico as Korean BBQ before, straight on the grill.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I don't understand that, what is the beef between the US and Spanish pigs? I've eaten Iberico as Korean BBQ before, straight on the grill.

Diet... hundreds of years of tradition... attention to detail.. self respect by farmers and for the product and consumer...

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's some US importer of Spanish products... I think they specialize in jamon. I don't remember the website... but I ordered once and the meat is very good. You can just see it on the website... marbling, color... everything is excellent.

tienda.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads