• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMayle

Reaction score
Hit a couple stores today hoping that I could find more clothes donated by the guy whose Kiton and Brioni shirts I found the other day, and managed to find a Borelli shirt and an Oxxford SC and I might trade as it just kinda barely fits me.

Went to another store that had a decent amount of recent Zegna, HF, Oxxford, and so on that were donated by the same person, all about 42R, but unfortunately none if it's my size and they price things pretty appropriately, so most of it was $70+.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For some reason I left a Savile Row suit on the rack today. It was pretty big, but I should have bought it. I'll see if it's there tomorrow.

gdwy89

Reaction score
At first, today looked like it would be a good, nay, great day of thrifting. I went to the Salvation Army I rarely go to because of its prices to have a look around.

Passed on a couple Falconable shirts, a good looking Nordstrom's shirt, and a Zegna shirt. This might be peanuts for some of you, but I smelled some blood in the water and started digging. Found 3 dated H. Freeman ties I couldn't even justify buying for my father, a nice Lands' End Herringbone jacket that I liked but not enough to buy, and some other miscelaneous things that were almost, but not quite worth picking up.

Then I found a Savile Row jacket. I can't for the life of me remember the specific tailor, but it was the first canvassed piece I've ever found in a thrift store. The jacket was around a 40-42R, navy and light-blue window-pane with a ticket pocket, side vents, and (best of all) <$10. Much to my chagrin, when I tried it on, it appeared to have multiple faint grease stains on it that I was unsure would come out in dry cleaning. More importantly, it was also a single button monstrosity.

I came out of the store feeling like Tantalus. Ah well. I can proxy for anyone willing to take a chance on the stains and the single button. I was such a good looking jacket otherwise. I should've take a photo.

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
laugh.gif
I thrift in the Inland Empire too. This was in San Bernardino.
The printed pages had been photo copied so there are probably dozens of GWs with them. The worst thing was that many people in this thread wrote out lists of brands. This wasn't the only thread though. There was another with the title "Tips for thrifting" or something like that.

They had everything covered pictures of Ikea furniture, dolls, a HUGE list of books, pictures of Star Wars figures, at least 20 books called "Becketts"(Price Guides for collectibles I think),....

It may be possible that someone in the past was just trying to make a buck on their own.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kellgy
It may be possible that someone in the past was just trying to make a buck on their own.

you guys are local!

i remember becketts from my middle school pokemon days, its usally just a guide for sports cards, and comic books, i think toys too?

and they slap outrageous prices on junk here, moth bitten hugo boss orphaned sport coat for $99.99

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
I've been cutting back on my thrifting as of late since I never seem to find anything worthwhile, but today I grabbed a copy of the "Official Preppy Handbook" which allows me to indulge two of my favorite things: the 80s and elitism.

Love the Preppy Handbook.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things are looking up in my search for skinny clothes on the cheap.

Found a lovely grey-green Zegna suit today in winter weight (just in time, too) that requires no alterations whatsoever. Also found a couple of shirts that fit: Zegna and Dunhill. I picked up a Dries van Noten casual jacket, mainly because I don't have a single sport coat or jacket that fits anymore.

Found quite a few pairs of Hackett cords for some reason, but all were still a bit small. I also had to pass on blazers from Ferragamo and Valentino, for the same reason.

I saw my first Hickey Freeman piece too. I've heard all about their suits here, but are their shirts any good?

JMayle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanmj
Had some luck tonight.

http://seanj.com/assets/images/sf/madras-plaid-shirts.jpg[IMG]

Madras shirts: PRL, Gant, Gant (made in USA). [/I]

Good scores, I find a ton of Gant summer stuff that looks great but is cut like a circus tent. I'm talking mediums that are too large when I usually wear a L or Xl, it's always really disappointing.

RebelWithACause

Reaction score
Like everyone else, making the trip out is not worth the time or energy. Should of left the zegna ties, I have enough of them. The charvet is in decent condition. Everything up for sale or trade.

6d4406c5.jpg

55159f2c.jpg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMayle
Good scores, I find a ton of Gant summer stuff that looks great but is cut like a circus tent. I'm talking mediums that are too large when I usually wear a L or Xl, it's always really disappointing.

This. Clothes in general seem to have gotten bigger since the last time I was in shape. I've got a size 40 chest, yet wear kid sizes Gant and PRL. Just me?
peepwall[1].gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Yeah, for future reference, if you have amazing luck and come across great labels like Borrelli, Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, Oxxford, etc, please grab them if they're cheap enough and you have enough money. Some people on here would love to have it and aren't as privileged (live in sartorially challenged areas).

Pardon my cynicism, but I'd counsel against this. I used to believe this and have bought very nice Kiton, Alden, Crockett and Jones and Santoni stuff among others, assuming someone else would want it. Most of it is still sitting in my wardrobe. The stuff I have sold, I had to slash so much off the price it wasn't worth my while. People here only want it if you'll take thrift shop prices for it, and place no value on your time, effort or your finding things for them. I now just shop for myself or my family, and for the fun of the hunt.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Pardon my cynicism, but I'd counsel against this. I used to believe this and have bought very nice Kiton, Alden, Crockett and Jones and Santoni stuff among others, assuming someone else would want it. Most of it is still sitting in my wardrobe. The stuff I have sold, I had to slash so much off the price it wasn't worth my while. People here only want it if you'll take thrift shop prices for it, and place no value on your time, effort or your finding things for them. I now just shop for myself or my family, and for the fun of the hunt.

He said it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads