• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bunty;4443419 said:
Sorry chaps, back to Jim Ferguson.

British army battle dress, the jacket. I know you've mentioned jungle greens, but in the drawing (I'll try and load it on) It's described as 'British army two piece' It looks like a 1940s/50s style (like they wore on Dad's Army)

Anybody see those?

I do not know where Jim Ferguson got the idea that Skinheads wore British Army Battle Dress, It never happened in 60s London.
I did point out a couple of pages ago that Skinheads wore Jungle Greens, Thats the only military kit they wore.
Around our way NW London we was lucky to get hold of the American OG 107 Sateen Fatigues, Other parts of London not sure, But you could also get hold of the British Army 58 patten Jungle Issue Trousers.

I understand that later revival 79/80s Skinheads wore, British Army DPM Combat Jackets or sometimes DPM Trousers, they also wore, British Army Light Weights trousers, I believe this was a carry over from the Punk scene ???

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a Pair of American Vietnam 64 issue OG 107 Fatigues. These was worn around NW W London 60s
IMG_0807.jpg
IMG_0808.jpg

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
Sorry chaps, back to Jim Ferguson.

British army battle dress, the jacket. I know you've mentioned jungle greens, but in the drawing (I'll try and load it on) It's described as 'British army two piece' It looks like a 1940s/50s style (like they wore on Dad's Army)

Anybody see those?

SKINHEAD.jpg

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
1968vx7.jpg

Alex, is there anything we can do about these 'frogs' with the legend "This domain violates ImageShack's ToS"? Is there another way you can present pictures?

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Alex, is there anything we can do about these 'frogs' with the legend "This domain violates ImageShack's ToS"? Is there another way you can present pictures?

Sorry M-o-M. As Bunty said one would have to upload them, still need to find out just exactly how to do that
smile.gif

Those drawings can be found easily via google images and typing Nick Knight+Skinheads...

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
Sorry M-o-M. As Bunty said one would have to upload them, still need to find out just exactly how to do that
smile.gif

Those drawings can be found easily via google images and typing Nick Knight+Skinheads...

I think I know the ones you mean - they've been on this thread a few times already.

Try photobucket, or try using the image address from the actual pics on the web, like this:

SKINHEAD.jpg

Anyone apart from JF see a bloke dressed like the one on the left in 68/69? I certainly didn't.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
British Army Battle Dress was a Two piece Uniform, made of very hard wearing wool, It was worn up the 60s It was replaced by the 1960 Olive Patten, but like the American M65 patten.

The Army cadet force wore British Army Battle dress up into the early 70s, One can serve up to 18, Now maybe a 14 year old Skinhead and his mates in 68 on the way to the Drill night could have been seen in their Uniform ? Thats one explanation... and wearing a football scarf, [ because its winter] Lol

Also the British Army Battle dress trousers had a big Thigh pocket , plus one on the front of the trousers,
Also the 60s Olive patten had a large pocket on the thigh, These are battle dress.
We wore Fatigues, Which was Army work ware, or walking out kit.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to illustrate 60s patten British Army Olive Green Trousers, I am wearing a pair in the pic, Note the thigh pocket, these was not worn in NW London in the 60s.
shooting20team1.jpg

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Now maybe a 14 year old Skinhead and his mates in 68 on the way to the Drill night could have been seen in their Uniform ? Thats one explanation... and wearing a football scarf, [ because its winter] Lol

Who knows! I don't doubt that Jim Ferguson is honestly reporting what's in his memory, it's just that his recollections seem to bear little resemblance to what the rest of us remember.

By the way, the 'jungle greens' we wore south of the river were not unlike the strides in Jim's drawing. They were of a fairly light cotton, and only had pockets at the side (fly pockets) and on the seat (buttoned flap) as far as I remember. Like the strides a couple of 'the Smithies' are wearing in this photo.

'The%20Smithies'%207.jpg

Bloke on the left needs his fly buttons seeing to, though.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to illustrate 60s patten British Army Olive Green Trousers, I am wearing a pair in the pic, Note the thigh pocket, these was not worn in NW London in the 60s.

shooting20team1.jpg

Nor in SE.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Who knows! I don't doubt that Jim Ferguson is honestly reporting what's in his memory, it's just that his recollections seem to bear little resemblance to what the rest of us remember.

By the way, the 'jungle greens' we wore south of the river were not unlike the strides in Jim's drawing. They were of a fairly light cotton, and only had pockets at the side (fly pockets) and on the seat (buttoned flap) as far as I remember. Like the strides a couple of 'the Smithies' are wearing in this photo.

'The%20Smithies'%207.jpg

Bloke on the left needs his fly buttons seeing to, though.

They are the same MoM as we wore, Yes some did have a single back pocket, Whats also worth saying loads of Army Surplus shops was stocked out with American NATO issue kit, which was American made in the 60s, Dont forget we was at the hight of the Cold War, So the kit was everywhere and cheap.

As you can see the two lads wearing them look fairly new, but they would fade out quick which made them look cool, Worn second hand ones was very sort after.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont forget we was at the hight of the Cold War, So the kit was everywhere and cheap.

Yes, and it was genuine too, not like a lot of the stuff you get these days which is manufactured for the market stall.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing we have established MoM we was wearing near the same jungle Greens in 60s London, Also we was not wearing British Army Kit, As you have said a new bit of kit would spread like wildfire. I could be in a Club like the Croydon Rooms Oval , see something on someone.. ask him, then I may have to travel over to Walworth Road SE London to get it. Just so i could be the first around my way to get that particular bit of clobber Lol.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing we have established MoM we was wearing near the same jungle Greens in 60s London, Also we was not wearing British Army Kit, As you have said a new bit of kit would spread like wildfire. I could be in a Club like the Croydon Rooms Oval , see something on someone.. ask him, then I may have to travel over to Walworth Road SE London to get it. Just so i could be the first around my way to get that particular bit of clobber Lol.

Exactly!

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that some of the earlier "Look" varied-the same as the later Style did.Lawrences Corner did a good trade in Army Surplus,I was taken there when I was 17 by a Guy(who lived just around the corner from Warren Street Tube).There were Mods/Skins in there buying all sorts of stuff.Army Coats have been worn-there is a picture of one being worn-and not by a bloody Hippy.Do not forget the Fashion at that time was Hussar Jackets etc.(I Was Lord Kitcheners Valet etc.),so some Mods were going one further.It was the Hippies that copied that style from the Mods.I can talk about 67/68 as I saw it.I will not say that Skinheads in London,did not wear that etc.Because it has been proved time and time again-there were variations in the different Areas of London.
I bought my Crombie off the Peg,in an East London Taylors-along the Mile End Road(in `69).Coats up to that time were mainly short Tweed Coats(Mods again) and Raincoats.My favourite Jacket of `68 was a Dark Brown Leather Bomber Jacket(with knitted collars and cuffs).which I bought fron Brixton Market-they were popular with the local Skins there.I have not heard anyone in other parts say they owned one.Another example.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads